Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-V8 coolant system questions
MM1
post May 27 2022, 02:11 PM
Post #1

914 obsession continues

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

To any of you current and former V8 conversion owners, I would appreciate your advice.

I’m nearing the end game of my coolant system overhaul (1965 Chevrolet stock, carbureted 283 in.³ V8) and I spoke with Don, the veteran at Renegade Hybrids, the other day for quite some time.

Don said he has done V8conversions on 914’s for 40 years.

He suggested two things for my current project:

1.) Cut two or three 1/8 inch holes into a 160° thermostat . I prefer to go with the OEM 180 and I’m wondering if I should cut one, two or three holes in it - my veteran Ford tech neighbor thought perhaps I should cut one ( he’s going to help me pressure test the system and then pull a vacuum to fill it if the radiator doesn’t leak after I removed those 30 year old hoses ).

2.) Burp the coolant system with the car nose down. Part of the reengineering/overhaul here is that I am adding Moroso expansion tank/coolant tank next to the engine as high as I can get it. The engine is actually nose down a bit so the Ford tech thinks that with the vacuum system we should be able to get every bit of air out of it but if we nose it down then maybe steam pockets or air will stay in the back of the heads since they are already higher than the front when the car is level on the ground.

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences regarding the above?

Thank you all!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:00 PM