Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT F'in Jury Duty, Really making it a thorn in my side
ChrisReale
post Aug 3 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

Got jury duty a few weeks ago, which is fine. I call the number like I was supposed to, ans the recording said that I didn't need to come based on the questionaire I filled out. It so happens I didn't fill out a questionaire because they told me to bring the damn questionaire to jury duty if I needed to show up. So I get a letter today saying I failed to show up,and I need to go down to court within 10 days or else....WTF?? Talk about a pain in my ass (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Aug 3 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #2

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

I get to go on the 24th I know already the lying basterd is guilty. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Aug 3 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (spare time toys @ Aug 3 2005, 06:33 PM)
I get to go on the 24th I know already the lying basterd is guilty. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)

And that is how you get dismissed from Jury duty. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Aug 3 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 430

Ask to schuedle your vists on a Monday. The case loads are low as plea bargans happen over the weekend. You go, wait and generally get excused and you are done serving you time for another year.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 3 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #5

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Serving on a jury is actually pretty cool. I sat on a three day trial once a long time ago. The last time I was called in, I didn't get selected, but I went back after lunch to watch the trial.

Better'n T.V. and it beats workin...
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 3 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

They kick me loose every time cause I have a job that is in semi-law enforcement and know most of the DAs.....even though I think they are all assholes....

Think Michael Jackson......my shitty raise this was prolly due to that cluster fuck.

I love my country but fear my Gubmint....
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 3 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #7

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

I've never gone...unless they send me one of those summons thingies by certified mail (or a Marshall), I doubt I ever will.
+Quote Post
sj914
post Aug 4 2005, 01:52 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,053

I got one of those notices in the mail and forgot to mail it in. The county ended up sending me a warning. I showed up and explained myself and all was good. Now not responding at all, I think would get you in a lot more trouble.

I did jury duty last year and it was pretty cool, the judge looked alittle like Tim Allen (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) .
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Aug 4 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #9

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

I served on a jury for a capital crime. We found this young guy guilty of first degree murder. It took two weeks to get through the trial and deliberations. Not something I care to repeat real soon. We could have finished in about an hour or so but something about a right to a fair trial or some such krap. Not a pleasant experience at all. If you don't want to be picked for a jury, carry a bible with you and make sure all the lawyers see it. You will be dismissed every time.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 4 2005, 03:06 AM
Post #10

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Uhh... I consider most of us smart. (that may preclude myself, I know) If you want justice done, you have to do it yourself... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Serve if you have to, the outcome depends on people who can understand the crime, and explain that to the 11 morons you'll be serving with.

M
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 4 2005, 05:23 AM
Post #11

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

They don't have jurys in Iran, Iraq, Cuba, China, North Korea....
You could always move there to get out of your duty.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

P
+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 4 2005, 05:42 AM
Post #12

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 4 2005, 03:06 AM)
Uhh... I consider most of us smart. (that may preclude myself, I know) If you want justice done, you have to do it yourself... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Serve if you have to, the outcome depends on people who can understand the crime, and explain that to the 11 morons you'll be serving with.

M

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) I may live to regret this... but I agree with the kooky goat banger.

If you don't do it, who will? Some total idiot? Don't cry about justice not being served if you're not willing to step up to the plate. I found it to be a fascinating experience and quite educational. And jury deliberations brought a whole new understanding of humor nature.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 4 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #13

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

I'm perfectly willing to serve jury duty, as long as I and/or my business is compensated accordingly, either in cash, tax credits or whatnot. If I somehow got selected for a trial that went more than a couple of weeks, the company would belly-up, and my family would be hurting big time, and how is that a good thing on any level?

Supposedly here in Kalifornistan, "financial hardship" for small businesses or their employees is no longer accepted for dismissal. So all you can do is show up and act like a wackjob, I guess.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Aug 5 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #14

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

For the record, I dont mind serving. I just mind that I did what I was supposed to do, and that still wasn't enough and now they are fucking with me. Messin' with my money is like messin'with my emotions (ten points to whoever knows what movie thats from!)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 5 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #15

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Believe it or not, I know a women, 40ish, college educated, job, kids and husband.
Her husband told me she will not register to vote because she doesn't want to be called for jury duty!:wacko:

What a complete dumb ass. I found this out and haven't spoken to her since.

P
+Quote Post
gfulcher
post Aug 5 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #16

Diagnosis: Automobilitus. Prognosis: Terminal

Member No.: 1,501
Region Association: Northern California

I was called to serve a few months ago for August 1st. Called the number the friday prior and was instructed to show up as a stand-by juror. It's quite clear to me now that August is a great time to serve, because many of the justices seem to be on holiday this time of year.

We all sat around in the room for a while, the clerk showed us the requisite instructional video.. About 1 hour later, the judge came in and said that two of the five pending cases had been resolved, and three were in-process. He also shared with us at that point a ledger he had. There were three arraignments on it that were listed as "delinquent juror" or what not. Massachusetts is cracking down on people who don't fulfill their duties. I think that's a good thing.

I was kinda excited to get impaneled, but about an hour later, the remaining three cases were settled and we got to go home (to be read: drive the 914 for the rest of the day!).

For the most part, everybody in the room seemed intelligent, save for the 18 year old girl who was clearly up way ealier than typical and couldn't be less interested.. I like the legal process, as it's interesting and, no matter how stressed and inefficient, an integral part of our society. I'm glad I'm not on the receiving end of a Jury though!

-greg-
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 5 2005, 06:39 AM
Post #17

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE (ChrisReale @ Aug 5 2005, 12:20 AM)
For the record, I dont mind serving. I just mind that I did what I was supposed to do, and that still wasn't enough and now they are fucking with me. Messin' with my money is like messin'with my emotions (ten points to whoever knows what movie thats from!)

Friday. Big Worm!

+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Aug 5 2005, 07:13 AM
Post #18

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Quit yer bitchin.

Consider it a civic duty. If you want good verdicts to come out of the court system, you gotta play.

I know if I was charged (like Brad for instance),

I would want good, honest, and upright citizens on my jury.

Just look at it as giving back to those that need help (Hi Brad!), or to help the public by putting away those hardcores that need to be incarcerated.

On the case I was on, a child molester was put into a cell with a murderer. The molester bragged about all the torture and rape he did to a 5 year old girl for a whole week. The murderer pulled a scam on the molester, got him to agree to be tied up as a way to get out of the cell, and then did to the molester what he did to the little girl. He choked a little more though, and the molester didn't survive.

So, what would you choose for a verdict? More time? death? or give the guy a medal?

Ken
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Aug 5 2005, 08:05 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,335

I was summoned by the fine state of Missouri while serving in Desert Storm, when I returned I was contacted by the state of Missouri by a summons server at my base in Maine, the summons read that I must appear at a particular time to face the judge, After several calls to the DA's office, and no luck, I had to fly to Kansas City and appear. After explaining and showing my US Navy orders to the Judge showing I had been "in country" he read the riot act to the DA, and dismissed the case. But not before I got a word in, what the flight cost and the emergency leave I had to take because of their screw up. The judge asked if I wanted to answer a contempt of court summons, which I answered no, of course. I then march right over to the mayors office in uniform to speak with the mayor, who called the judge, and I received an apology from the mayor and later a written apology from the DA, Judge and one of my state reps at that time. The mayor also reimbursed me right out of his pocket on the spot for my cost to get there.

I have been called to serve 2 times since then in Massachusetts and have not been picked, both times were DUI charges, after losing a friend and his family to DUI, I don't feel I really could be objective in a case like this, so I let them know this when called. If it was something else, I would serve in a heartbeat.

We all feel that jury duty IS a pain in the ass. There is no doubt, the system is not easy, it makes mistakes, but remember this: People have fought and died for the freedom to have this system. If you are aware of other countries that have poor (at best) judicial system you know what I am talking about. Ours is not perfect, but please take your hard earned right that others provided you, to vote and serve seriously. I do it to honor those before me as an American. And will continue to so so.

Erik C. Madsen

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 5 2005, 08:09 AM
Post #20

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (skline @ Aug 3 2005, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Aug 3 2005, 06:33 PM)

And that is how you get dismissed from Jury duty. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:09 AM