Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Issue traveling with my bilstein struits, TSA wont let me get my suspension complete
CCE
post Jun 17 2022, 04:47 PM
Post #1

CCE

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,203
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I had a business trip to Chicago, flying from Mexico last week so I decided to buy a set of bilstein B6 struits from ebay, to finish my project.
Little did I know TSA in the airport did not allow me to do that.

My set of bilsteins was taken out of the bag at security screening in the airport and shown to me on the boarding gate asking me if the content was mine…

I was given 5 days to collect them on the front airline counter, MY SUSPENSION!!!!

I have a couple of friends who I think will get them for me carry them, to terminal 1, and have them shipped to down to Mexico, then carry on with their own trip back.
But if it fails, I ran out of options!
Any suggestions?
(Airline Picture)
I know, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 17 2022, 07:22 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Chris, you're in the Chicago area aren't you? @Chris H.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jun 17 2022, 08:11 PM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

You cant carry on any metal item that large. You shoud be able to check them in baggage. I was not able to board with a pair of tube bending plyers as they were more than 8" long.
+Quote Post
Jack Standz
post Jun 18 2022, 12:49 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 23,644
Region Association: None

TSA in Oakland removed a set of Bilsteins from my checked luggage last year.

They left the standard pre-printed card in my bag, but no explanation at all about why or even where the shocks were.

I was not happy, but did finally find them at the airline check-in gate after hours on the phone trying to track them down. Of course I was no longer in Oakland, so I had someone else pick it up.

Supposedly, the problem was that they could explode when the pressure changes from altitude. I'll have to be more aware of that danger when I drive over the Sierras or the Rockies. (yeah right)
+Quote Post
CCE
post Jun 18 2022, 04:56 AM
Post #5

CCE

QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jun 18 2022, 01:49 AM) *

TSA in Oakland removed a set of Bilsteins from my checked luggage last year.

They left the standard pre-printed card in my bag, but no explanation at all about why or even where the shocks were.

I was not happy, but did finally find them at the airline check-in gate after hours on the phone trying to track them down. Of course I was no longer in Oakland, so I had someone else pick it up.

Supposedly, the problem was that they could explode when the pressure changes from altitude. I'll have to be more aware of that danger when I drive over the Sierras or the Rockies. (yeah right)

Yes same thing here, the claim is that no pressure filled metal and no gas Can board the Plane, I tried to explain there is no gas inside, its oil, and that is why I sent it as luggage As I was not able to carry liquid with me, but it was already removed.

A (now) very good friend will recover the struits today and will carry them to the other terminal to the UPS store in the airport, maybe we will be able to ship them ups ground… I will let you know later
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 18 2022, 05:30 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I ship them no problem. TSA won’t let anything pass that looks like a pipe bomb.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 18 2022, 07:04 AM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I was just in Chicago yesterday. Totally missed this. For all to know, if you want to move odd parts on an airplane, check them. You can take a gun on an airplane, as long as you declare it and check it. Of course you will not have access to it, but it's the only way to make sure it travels as TSA gets creative on what you can and can't take through. I once took a set of bumpers to a customer in LA, funny thing was they made me run them through the xray machine.

+Quote Post
914e
post Jun 18 2022, 09:23 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

Did you try shipping them air freight through the airlines? You have to bring them to the air freight terminal.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 18 2022, 09:33 AM
Post #9

The rubber man

To ship airline airfreight you will have to be a known shipper. So check out paperwork requirements
+Quote Post
914e
post Jun 18 2022, 09:53 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 18 2022, 08:33 AM) *

To ship airline airfreight you will have to be a known shipper. So check out paperwork requirements

It has been a few years since I have done it personally, now that you mention it I was likely a known shipper.

Since moving to consulting the only logistics I have worry about anymore is, where is lunch?
+Quote Post
CCE
post Jun 18 2022, 11:21 AM
Post #11

CCE

QUOTE(914e @ Jun 18 2022, 10:53 AM) *

It has been a few years since I have done it personally, now that you mention it I was likely a known shipper.

Since moving to consulting the only logistics I have worry about anymore is, where is lunch?

A friend was still in Chicago and will travel out today, she went to pick them and she is now on her way yo t1 to UPS express, hopefully she will be able to ship the tubes… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
Attached Image

She is now my very very “favorite” person

You will be able to see the 914 rubber top mount accessories already in place… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
arbitrary
post Jun 18 2022, 03:45 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 25,475

TSA is understandably cautious about what they will allow onto a plane.

That said I once put a new (empty!) Husqavarna chainsaw into my checked luggage and they didn’t even open the box. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 18 2022, 04:39 PM
Post #13

The rubber man

You also can't take that on the aircraft if it has had the oil put in it. No oil/ fluids in it (new), it's ok. I have no idea why We run into this all the time in Alaska
+Quote Post
CCE
post Jun 20 2022, 12:54 PM
Post #14

CCE

QUOTE(CCE @ Jun 18 2022, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(914e @ Jun 18 2022, 10:53 AM) *

A friend was still in Chicago and will travel out today, she went to pick them and she is now on her way yo t1 to UPS express, hopefully she will be able to ship the tubes… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
Attached Image

She is now my very very “favorite” person

You will be able to see the 914 rubber top mount accessories already in place… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Following up on my “telenovela”, on Saturday My friend collected the tubes, carry them to terminal 1, hurting herself in the process, to the UPS store by the Hilton, the store was closed!!!, she left them to the Hilton guard, god bless you “Mike”, today I spoke to Sophie the clerk at the UPS Store, she collected the shocks and shipped them to Mexico which is what I should have done in the first place, direct from ebay… and they will arrive hopefully next week in my house in Mexico… let’s have our fingers crossed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I almost loose my suspension for the third time now… as you can tell my sleep has not been very good on the last couple of days, I owe now at least a bottle of whine or flowers to my friend Alejandra, who collected the tubes and next time in Chicago I will kiss Sophie and Mike in the mouth!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 20 2022, 12:58 PM
Post #15

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(CCE @ Jun 20 2022, 11:54 AM) *
Following up on my soap Oprah, on Saturday My friend collected the tubes, carry them to terminal 1, to the UPS store by the Hilton, the store was closed!!!, she left them to the Hilton guard, god bless you “Mike”, today I spoke to Sophie the clerk at the UPS Store, she collected the shocks and shipped them to Mexico which is what I should of do in the first place, direct from ebay… and they will arrive hopefully next week in my house in Mexico… let’s have our fingers crossed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
CCE
post Jun 20 2022, 01:03 PM
Post #16

CCE

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 20 2022, 01:58 PM) *

QUOTE(CCE @ Jun 20 2022, 11:54 AM) *
Following up on my soap Oprah, on Saturday My friend collected the tubes, carry them to terminal 1, to the UPS store by the Hilton, the store was closed!!!, she left them to the Hilton guard, god bless you “Mike”, today I spoke to Sophie the clerk at the UPS Store, she collected the shocks and shipped them to Mexico which is what I should of do in the first place, direct from ebay… and they will arrive hopefully next week in my house in Mexico… let’s have our fingers crossed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Oh I love my car! Hehehehhee
+Quote Post
draganc
post Jun 21 2022, 06:08 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

Sorry for your inconvenience but it makes perfect sense
to limit flammable fluids on a passenger plane.

+Quote Post
CCE
post Jun 22 2022, 05:03 PM
Post #18

CCE

QUOTE(draganc @ Jun 21 2022, 07:08 AM) *

Sorry for your inconvenience but it makes perfect sense
to limit flammable fluids on a passenger plane.

Totally, I just was not thinking! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jun 23 2022, 08:40 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

QUOTE(CCE @ Jun 18 2022, 05:56 AM) *

Yes same thing here, the claim is that no pressure filled metal and no gas Can board the Plane, I tried to explain there is no gas inside, its oil, and that is why I sent it as luggage As I was not able to carry liquid with me, but it was already removed.

There is indeed pressure inside those. Bilstein charges their shocks and struts with about 100psi of nitrogen as they fill them. That is how the oil is kept from cavitating.

While TSA is about as dumb as a bag of rocks, those shocks are a pressurized cylinder, which is typically not allowed to be shipped by air freight.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jun 23 2022, 01:27 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Glad they're on the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Last time I flew back east, as a native californian I wore my best flip flops. I almost missed my flight because the TSA decided the old guy in the wheel chair wearing flip flops must be a terrorist. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_rolli_1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) Last minute my flip flops and I got on our flight. First class comes with all sorts of perks, I slept peacefully knowing my flip flops were not going to blow up while I slept. Good thing they didn't think you were an underwear bomber.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 04:05 AM