Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> It might work better with all the parts in it., I should have pulled the transaxle sooner
914e
post Jun 26 2022, 12:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

I knew first and second gear syncros were in bad shape. Third is not bad, reverse has some issues.

First problem no gaskets, it is sealed with rtv, I have know idea what the preload and backlash for the ring and pinion is at his point. I guess I need to check the both.

Next I notice the the reverse idler gear thrust washer is badly scored and worn.
Attached Image
Thinking to myself I think we are missing a part. Bearings are just extra parts, you don't need those. /s

The reverse idler gear does not look badly worn from the thrust washer.

Attached Image

However the teeth look pretty beat-up.

Attached Image

I think I might need to find a replacement reverse idler gear. I think without the bearing between the reverse idler gear and thrust washer, it was sometime touching the first / reverse shift sleeve.

Attached Image

Some syncro rings have the expected wear, but this one has groove in it. it seems to be a manufacturing defect.

Attached Image

Some of the brake bands show wear, i'm not sure if that is normal. Some of my syncro hubs look more like igloos than peaked roofs.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 12:00 PM