Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Top-End Rebuild on '76, Starting T-E rebuild on my 66k original miles '76
Gatornapper
post Aug 5 2022, 09:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Dropped the engine yesterday and starting to pull things apart - but having internet problems uploading pics.

Putting in AA's new Cylinder Heads & 96mm P's & C's. Can't wait.

More pics when I can get uploading to work - downloading is fine....

GN

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1659712197.1.JPG)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Aug 5 2022, 09:21 AM
Post #2

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865
Region Association: Southern California

Congratulations! Nothing is more satisfying than to do these types of jobs and hear it run. Take your time, cleanliness is everything. Take some video as well!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 5 2022, 09:30 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

The old coot is at it again!!

Keep us updated and good for you. I am envious as to this old coot is still working 60 hours/wk.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 5 2022, 09:33 AM
Post #4

Thanks guys - major problems with upload speeds - can't upload pics.

Seeing if this one works......

What looks like big scar from my chin down neck is non-existent - no idea what caused it in pic......weird for sure.

Yeah, 77 is old coot for sure.

Nope. Pic doesn't work.

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 5 2022, 09:30 AM) *

The old coot is at it again!!

Keep us updated and good for you. I am envious as to this old coot is still working 60 hours/wk.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 5 2022, 09:41 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I'm sure at least a few of us were thinking the large scar told the story behind GN

Lucky you are still in the game. What is your plan for cyl heads?
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 5 2022, 02:39 PM
Post #6

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1659731965.1.JPG)

My good friend Rick (Rickb45), my walking Porsche encyclopedia, owner of almost Concours '72 914 (AND '79 911SC, mint '85 944, & who just sold a really nice 997.1 and 356 FiberFab replca). We met at local C&C about 3 - 4 years ago and he has been my "all things Porsche" guide since then. He was my 2nd set of eyes as I raised the 914 from the engine.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1659731966.2.JPG)

914 boty now on lift, '80 924 Turbo sitting underneath, engine in center bay waiting to be dis-assembled.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1659731966.3.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1659731967.4.JPG)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 5 2022, 02:46 PM
Post #7

For any interested bikers - rotating from left of engine, clockwise:

2018 Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster w/Corbin seat
1972 Triumph Bonneville T120V, top-end rebuilt by moi, runs like new, starts on 1 kick hot or cold
1971 Triumph Trophy 500 T100C, all original, top-end rebuilt by moi, runs like new, starts on 1 kick hot or cold
1997 HD Wide Glide, Stage II, totally custom built by moi, rebuilt engine, runs like new

Out of sight on right:

1974 Triumph Trident T150V, all original, almost museum condition, top-end rebuilt, runs like new, starts on 1 kick hot or cold

2009 HD CVO Road Glide.

2011 Cayman S
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 5 2022, 03:26 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 5 2022, 09:41 AM) *

I'm sure at least a few of us were thinking the large scar told the story behind GN

No idea where the scar in the pic came from - not natural, note how it goes up my neck into my chin with no break for natural curve - I do have a chin. See 2nd pic - no scar. Trying myself to figure where it came from - seems cam added it.

Full Gatornapper story is posted somewhere on 914world. Major US newspaper gave me that name. In 1965.

Lucky you are still in the game. What is your plan for cyl heads?
I believe my being here is all the grace of God. Should have died in 2009 from aortic valve failure. Plus a dozen times before that.. Pig valve good for 10 - 15 years is almost like new at 13 years.......oink, oink.

See first words of first post - AA for new heads.

+Quote Post
maf914
post Aug 5 2022, 04:06 PM
Post #9

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Gattornapper,

May I ask what heads did you decide to use and where did you get them? AA or FAT? Your previous thread got me checking the various sources that people mentioned. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 5 2022, 04:28 PM
Post #10

Mike -

See first post - AutoAtlanta heads. Ordering Monday.

Some info put clouds over the expensive FAT heads, so not taking that extra risk for the extra $$$. For my everyday driving, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the AA heads with a main focus on just keeping them cool.

My engine has stayed nice and cool since I put the new Tangerine T-stat & cleaned everything up 3 years ago.

I think the FAT heads are the same as AA only machined more & machined for the larger valves.

GN

PS: Lived in Orlando & Gainesville many years ago - father from Gainesville, my grandad built 4 houses at 924 SE 4th Ave. in the 1930's. They are still there.

QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 5 2022, 04:06 PM) *

Gattornapper,

May I ask what heads did you decide to use and where did you get them? AA or FAT? Your previous thread got me checking the various sources that people mentioned. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 5 2022, 07:19 PM
Post #11

Little bit of progress tonight after good rain cooled things down into the 70's........

Next is good soda-blasting of engine & tranny cases.......Monday or Tuesday maybe.....

Question for the experts: Do those heads look original for a 2.0 with 66k miles on it? They look to me like they might be replacements......

Going to thoroughly check them out before ordering the new ones.....If I don't see any cracks or defects, I may take them to machine shop that knows these heads to see what they think. Or a really good 914 mechanic I know.......

GN

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1659748747.1.JPG)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1659748747.2.JPG)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 5 2022, 07:29 PM
Post #12

3 years and 5,000 miles ago this engine and tranny had been soda-blasted and were nice and clean.

What you see is the result of my living 1/2 mile from a paved road, my drive running mostly through a neighbors property. It's neither gravel nor paved - semi-paved in used-asphalt millings, which, when put down and driven on for s few months was almost like asphalt. 7 years later, no more. Still, it's much better than gravel.

I can clean my engine and bay to spit-polish clean - and one drive up my drive covers the engine in dust - especially in dry summer.

I have new engine bay seals but they don't seem to help much. Wish I could almost hermetically seal the engine bay so all air comes in top - but guess what? Even then the dusty air coming in the top on a dry summer day comes off the tires into the engine bay.

I'd love it if a genius out there could find a solution for me.

GN
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 6 2022, 07:46 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 5 2022, 06:28 PM) *

GN

Just for clarity.

AA Performance Products is the supplier of the Chinese 2.0L head castings and assemblies. AA performance products is in CA. No relation to Automobile Atlanta in GA as far as I know.

Automobile Atlanta (and others) are distributing those AA Performance products heads.

Doesn't really amount to much - just wanted to be sure you know where they are sourced from regardless of who is distributing them. As I posted previously I have a set of HAM heads built off that casting and I have no reservations about the quality of the head casting based on what I've seen.

If I'm mistaken, I'm sure someone will correct me.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 6 2022, 06:26 PM
Post #14

Thanks for the clarification. My bad. I was using AA for Auto Atlanta, as many here do, I knew nothing of AA Performance Parts.

Glad to hear the heads are sound.

GN

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 6 2022, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 5 2022, 06:28 PM) *

GN

Just for clarity.

AA Performance Products is the supplier of the Chinese 2.0L head castings and assemblies. AA performance products is in CA. No relation to Automobile Atlanta in GA as far as I know.

Automobile Atlanta (and others) are distributing those AA Performance products heads.

Doesn't really amount to much - just wanted to be sure you know where they are sourced from regardless of who is distributing them. As I posted previously I have a set of HAM heads built off that casting and I have no reservations about the quality of the head casting based on what I've seen.

If I'm mistaken, I'm sure someone will correct me.

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Mar 14 2023, 02:36 AM
Post #15

Well, 7 months later, I'm making progress. Too many other projects as always including a like new '81 928 that I was not looking for and literally landed out of nowhere in my lap (yes, was looking for one 2 years ago & gave up), and converting my 20' x 25' tractor shed to a new 2-car detached garage. More on that in another thread.....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1678783506.1.jpg)

Have a critical question. First.......

Heads & cylinders off. Heads look good, but getting new ones - if I can find them. AA seems out.

One bad cylinder. Top end had been off before, re-builder did not get one circlip set in place on #2 and it wore a groove in that cylinder. New cylinders needed too.

Good news is the cams look new and so do the lifters. Original.

I want to get the 96mm high compression pistons. I've been working on the D-Jet now off and on for 4 years and all I need is new injectors, hoses, dizzy with ECU points.

QUESTION: Can I run the high-compression 96mm pistons with the D-Jet? Can the running mixture be tweaked for the difference?

TIA,

GN
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 14 2023, 05:59 AM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Yes on the D-Jet. Nice 928.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Mar 14 2023, 07:17 AM
Post #17

Thank you and thank you! That's great news.

LOVE the 928! V-8 pull in a Porsche? Incredible! Runs/drives/handles like new - needs nothing. Friend wanted it and had me check it out for him. Then he decided he didn't want it due to its complexity & age. I couldn't pass it up due to condition and price. I've put over 1k miles on it and needs nothing.....has original 92k miles on it, always been kept like new.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1678799830.1.JPG)

What is so amazing to me is how completely different my 914, 944 S, and 928 drive and handle. Each incredible in every way, yet so unique and different.

The 914 should be out of the restoration body shop in original Malaga Red this month, and I can't wait!

Pics will be up as soon as I get it, although they will be sans engine & transaxle.

GN

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 14 2023, 05:59 AM) *

Yes on the D-Jet. Nice 928.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 14 2023, 07:26 AM
Post #18

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 14 2023, 04:36 AM) *

Well, 7 months later, I'm making progress. Too many other projects as always including a like new '81 928 that I was not looking for and literally landed out of nowhere in my lap (yes, was looking for one 2 years ago & gave up), and converting my 20' x 25' tractor shed to a new 2-car detached garage. More on that in another thread.....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1678783506.1.jpg)

Have a critical question. First.......

Heads & cylinders off. Heads look good, but getting new ones - if I can find them. AA seems out.

One bad cylinder. Top end had been off before, re-builder did not get one circlip set in place on #2 and it wore a groove in that cylinder. New cylinders needed too.

Good news is the cams look new and so do the lifters. Original.

I want to get the 96mm high compression pistons. I've been working on the D-Jet now off and on for 4 years and all I need is new injectors, hoses, dizzy with ECU points.

QUESTION: Can I run the high-compression 96mm pistons with the D-Jet? Can the running mixture be tweaked for the difference?

TIA,

GN

hey there GN! i have the AA heads built for 96's and running the D-jet tuned , running great as you know. if you can find the raw heads have someone build them , dont use the parts that come from AA on them i have heard they are not such great quality.
the new castings are available from a lot of venders, otherwise check with Rich i sent you his contact info.
- good to see you getting so close to getting that on the road again, you should set a goal to bring it to Okteenerfest in Sept.

Phil
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Mar 14 2023, 07:32 AM
Post #19

Should I post a thread on the story behind the 928? It is really interesting and unusual......I had given up on finding one 2 years ago.......only ones I found were automatics, too much $$$, or needed work........this one came out of the blue and nailed all 3..........

GN
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 14 2023, 07:44 AM
Post #20

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 14 2023, 09:32 AM) *

Should I post a thread on the story behind the 928? It is really interesting and unusual......I had given up on finding one 2 years ago.......only ones I found were automatics, too much $$$, or needed work........this one came out of the blue and nailed all 3..........

GN

post!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:57 AM