Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ignition switch, no start
doobie123
post Aug 18 2022, 07:44 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,683
Region Association: Southwest Region

thanks emerygt. i gotsa ta know. should i have continuity between the yellow wire at the solenoid and the bypassed relay yellow under the seat?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 18 2022, 07:52 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would not add anything new until you resolve the connection first. The hot start kit will not fix the issue. All the hot start kit does is make it so current does not pass through your ignition switch.

The way that relays work are they have power flowing to them. When a signal is sent, usually from a switch, it tells the relay to continue sending power on its journey. In the hot start kit you are simply turning your ignition switch into a messenger instead of the deliverer.

Can you post a pic of the wire setup under your seat? I am not sure if the relay is being bypassed. You should have continuity from your ignition switch to the starter if it is bypassed.

Your ignition switch is hooked directly to the battery. When you turn your switch to the ON position it provides power to several things. When you go 1 more turn it is the START position which only sends the battery power to the solenoid on the starter. That solenoid is like a relay. It is already grounded and has power. Anyone that has ever bypassed a broken solenoid is jumping the two leads to complete the circuit and the starter engages.

Check these items first before throwing new parts.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 19 2022, 12:11 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Since you have the hot starter kit, put it in.

See if your yellow wire at the solenoid is getting voltage when you turn the key while you are down there. Remember, it's only going to be hot when you try to turn it over.
+Quote Post
doobie123
post Aug 19 2022, 01:56 PM
Post #24

ok so i installed the hot start kit and...nothing changed.
when i turn the key, i don't get power to the yellow wire at the solenoid. also, i don't get power to the by pass wires under the passenger seat when turning the key.i have continuity with the yellow and red striped wire from under the seat to the ignition switch and there is power at the switch. so what do i need to check?
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 19 2022, 02:32 PM
Post #25

Your switch could be bad. Over time this is what happens when the current is carried through it to the starter. The fact that you are not getting power to the wire under the seat from the ignition switch is an indicator of this. You could test directly at the switch lead and even jiggle the switch once in the start position to see if the contacts inside will give you enough contact to read power at the terminal on the switch. Next thing to do is swap out your ign switch with another one. They are fairly cheap and should be replaced if it is the factory one. 914 rubber has one that they have put through tons of tests and is still going to my knowledge. AA, Amazon, and several others have an aftermarket one that works. If you want to go Porsche that is also an option, but haven't been found to be any more usable than an aftermarket.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 19 2022, 03:55 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

I believe he put a new switch in already. I would suggest you double check your install of that ignition switch. Maybe something came loose?
+Quote Post
doobie123
post Aug 19 2022, 04:13 PM
Post #27

yes, the switch is new both the plastic plug and the key part.
here is a shot of the bypass. i have continuity from the ignition key switch plug yellow to the yellow solenoid but no power when i turn the key to startAttached Image
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 19 2022, 04:41 PM
Post #28

Sorry missed that about the new switch.

Ok so now back to basics and how I would trouble shoot this. I would make sure that the harness that connects into the switch is decent, no cracks or loose wires. Was this working before the new switch? Why was a new switch purchased from AA. Can you provide a picture of the harness that connects into the switch? Have any additional splices been put in to possibly bypass hot power running through the switch like a start button somewhere else on the dash or under? I would also ensure the wires that are going into the harness are the correct ones.

As I said before an ignition switch is a very simple piece of tech. It has power running to it via the battery. When the key goes to the on position it provides power to those devices, horn, lights, instrument panel, etc. When you turn the key to the start it sends the power to the starter via the yellow and yellow/red wires. That is why it was easy for criminals back in the day, cover your eyes kids. Twisting the power to the "on signal" wire turns the car essentially to the key on position. When you see them in movies swiping the wire on the other wire, usually the spliced, they are mimicking the "start" key position.
+Quote Post
doobie123
post Aug 19 2022, 05:46 PM
Post #29

ok so heres further the switch was replaced to see if it fixed the problem. the key part was rekeyed at AA.
the plug into the ignition switch looks fine no cracks etc. there are 2 reds,1 yellow, 1 grey, 1grey brown or red stripe, 1 black.
one red is constant hot, when the key it turned to start position the other red gets hot, no other ones get hot.
could it be the plug is wired wrong?
i'll check for splices in the wires to the plug.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:16 PM