Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hot start problem, Checking opinions before I buy a new battery
Highland
post Aug 11 2022, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

My car starts easily when cold, but hot it has been a struggle. I put a variable resistor on the CHT as an experiment without success. Engine's not even catching.

Plugs look good, 123 distributor, blue coil, valves adjusted, runs fantastic once started.

I am using a 2 year old motorcycle AGM battery(which has been working prior to 123 distributor install). Open voltage measures at 12.6V.

I stuck a lead on the coil while cranking and voltage drops to around 10V and will bounce down to 0 occasionally if I crank for more than a few seconds. With ignition only the coil is at about 12.3V.

The blue coil is an NOS coil that I had. It's probably over 30 years old but resistance is good when cold. I did not think to measure the resistance hot, but would it make a difference? Does the insulation breakdown over time even if resistance is good?

Thinking my little battery doesn't have enough power to crank and fire the coil. Any opinions? Cranking is strong.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:26 AM