Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> bolt on shifter knob, mod to stock shifter to accept bolt on shift knobs
BadToTheBown
post Aug 11 2022, 10:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,488
Region Association: None

This may have already been done and I missed it, if so, please disregard.

I have a stock 914 side shifter and a Numeric Racking shift knob I wanted to bring together but the Numeric is a bolt on knob, not like the stock mounting, here's how I put them together:
-found some 7/16" steel rod in my garage scrap metal pile and ran a 7/16" drill a couple inches into shifter handle...The ID of the handle is something like 0.008" under 7/16" (.4375"), so it's easy....
Attached Image
-Using my crappy small lathe, pilot drilled 7/16" rod and then tapped M5-.80 and checked fit to drilled out shifter handle....
Attached Image
-slid 7/16" rod (insert) into shifter handle with some Loctite to just below flush with the shifter handle end and then using existing 4mm hole in my shifter handle, drilled through insert and hammered in an M5 spring roll pin putting the pin into double shear, captivating the insert and ground off the excess of the pin sticking out the other side....
Attached Image
-Then I just had to screw on the shifter knob mount which also hides the role pin and then screwed the knob on, easy peasy...
Attached Image

Hope someone finds this useful...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 10:22 AM