Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Best carbed warm start procedure
bbrock
post Aug 18 2022, 04:15 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Apologies if this is addressed somewhere, but couldn't find anything with google search.

I'm wondering if there is a "proper technique" for warm starting a 914/4 with 40 IDFs. To be clear, I'm only interested in what to do with my right foot when starting after the car sat with a hot engine for 15-30 minutes. I'm hoping to megasquirt the engine over the winter so will happily just live with what is a minor annoyance before spending time or money chasing a fuel boiling issue or similar.

Here's some background on my stock 2L with 40IDFs and mild Elgin carb cam. Timing is set at ~32deg BTDC. Fuel pump is relocated to the front 75-76 location. I run a fuel return line, and I have phenolic spacers between the intakes and heads.

I spent a lot of "quality time" with my carbs and a wide band earlier this summer and they are dialed in and running SWEET. I was running the stock dizzy with injector contacts blocked off and the car ran well, fired instantly when hot or cold, and idled steady.

My old dizzy started acting erratic so I swapped it for a new Pertronix SVDA with Ignitor III replacing the points. That is when the warm start issue showed up. Car fires nearly instantaneous on cold starts, but when the engine is fully warmed up and then left to sit 15-30 minutes, I have to crank too long to fire it up again. Seems like holding the accelerator for WOT works best to get it to catch but I haven't played with different combos too much. Once it catches, it coughs back to life and runs a bit rough for about a minute while it spits out the extra gas.

I suppose the E85 might still be boiling in the carb bowls despite the return line and phenolic spacers. If so, I'll just live with it for now, but wonder what folks think is the best throttle position for starting a warm set of carbs. Also open to suggestions for holding my tongue or mouth a certain way if that will help. And for sure a magic combination of swear words would be welcome as I"m a huge fan of those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:52 PM