Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> rush to red rocks classic, How not to prepare for an event
targa72e
post Aug 22 2022, 11:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,392
Region Association: None

So, jump forward. My 914 -6 conversion now has its 4th motor and can move under its own power. Planning on driving from Denver to Salt lake for RRC.

About 5 years ago I decided to jump into the 914 world. I have several 911 engines needing projects and roller 911's have become really expensive ( and I have two 911 rollers that are already planed projects) so I bought a 914 for a -6 conversion. Not knowing much at the time I got lucky with pretty rust free 73.
It has kind of become my engine mule. First engine was a 2.4 MFI motor with S pistons and Ecams. Used it to decide if I like 914's, I do.

Mule as it looks now.

Attached Image

Ended up selling that motor to another 914 world member in Florida.

My friend (who will be joining me at Red Rocks, also shares the same name) also had engines that needed to be built.
So with the engine bay empty we built a 2.7 RS+ engine with RS pistons and Mod S cams and weber carbs. This was a big step up. Dyno below of 2.4 E with S cams vs 2.7 RS+.

Attached Image

We are working to get his 76 911 travel capable but if he is too soft for no AC he will bring his 01 turbo (you can give him crap).

His 2.7 made my 914 much more fun. I had a 2.7 engine in planning for "my 914" that this helped solidify the specs.

Since I jumped into the 914 world I started looking for "my 914" project to build how I wanted based on my experience so far. This resulted in having 4 914's at one point.

One of the cars I purchased sent me down a side road. It was originally a sad neglected car with great potential. I purchased it thinking it would make a great start for "my 914-6" but was ultimately too nice for me to modify so I spent a year and a half bringing it back to good health. It was purchased by another 914 member and should be at RRC as well. Story hear.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=white+car

So after my friends engine vacated my cars engine bay I decided to build what I called my "junk yard dog" motor. This was built from parts I had that had no home. While not in new spec they were not yet worn out. They consisted of a 2.4 case that I used my new mill to add case savers and deck ( it was quite warped in this area). It was built to similar spec to the first engine, 2.4 with JE pistons 9.5 to 1 and E cams. It had T heads ported to S specs and ran Zenith TIN carbs instead of MFI from first engine. Made great power with the larger ports and a little more compression compared to stock port size MFI engine I originally built.

Attached Image

So ended up purchasing a bunch of 914 and 911 parts early this winter. This included a mostly ready to build motor plus a spare 2.7. About the same time I saw a post from some one with a 912 that wanted a complete 911 motor. Why not sell the "junk yard dog", I had a good 6 months until RRC why not make my 914 immobile again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I would have plenty of time to build another engine.

Too be continued

John

See you at RRC one way or another.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:26 AM