Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rain., How much does it scare you?
bbrock
post Aug 27 2022, 01:45 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 26 2022, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 26 2022, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 26 2022, 07:43 PM) *

I pretty much hide my 914 if it even looks like it might drizzle. Optima battery. I fearlessly drive my 84 gt350 all summer rain or shine.

Am I paranoid? They both go into hiding during the salt season.

I love driving mine in the rain. I often roll it out of the garage when it rains to get a free car wash. One of my favorite things is to drive with the top off in a moderate rain. As long as you keep moving at a decent speed, you stay dry and get some funny looks. I just wish I could find some modern wipers that will mount on the 7mm arms.

It does get parked during snow season though, which seven months of the year.

@bbrock

Pelican carries the wipers for the original 7mm arms
Call and ask for Wes at ext 231.

Yeah, that's what I have, but they suck. I've been running Bosch or RainX brand modern style wipers for years on my other cars. They are WAY better than the stock wipers. They don't lift off at speed, don't chatter, and last easily 4X as long as standard blades, especially through our northern winters. Only problem with them is that they don't fit a 7mm arm.

As for worrying about other yahoos on the road, that is a problem rain or shine. We don't have the traffic here that many of you have to suffer, so most of the time I have plenty of elbow room to enjoy the ride. It wouldn't be fun in heavy traffic at all, but then again, what is? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 27 2022, 05:17 PM
Post #22

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 27 2022, 12:45 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 26 2022, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 26 2022, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 26 2022, 07:43 PM) *

I pretty much hide my 914 if it even looks like it might drizzle. Optima battery. I fearlessly drive my 84 gt350 all summer rain or shine.

Am I paranoid? They both go into hiding during the salt season.

I love driving mine in the rain. I often roll it out of the garage when it rains to get a free car wash. One of my favorite things is to drive with the top off in a moderate rain. As long as you keep moving at a decent speed, you stay dry and get some funny looks. I just wish I could find some modern wipers that will mount on the 7mm arms.

It does get parked during snow season though, which seven months of the year.

@bbrock

Pelican carries the wipers for the original 7mm arms
Call and ask for Wes at ext 231.

Yeah, that's what I have, but they suck. I've been running Bosch or RainX brand modern style wipers for years on my other cars. They are WAY better than the stock wipers. They don't lift off at speed, don't chatter, and last easily 4X as long as standard blades, especially through our northern winters. Only problem with them is that they don't fit a 7mm arm.

As for worrying about other yahoos on the road, that is a problem rain or shine. We don't have the traffic here that many of you have to suffer, so most of the time I have plenty of elbow room to enjoy the ride. It wouldn't be fun in heavy traffic at all, but then again, what is? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Had rain all day in Montana coming back from WCR. Ever had a cool thing but never got to try it? I had added a wiper relay from a VW Golf. You turn it on and the wipers start. You turn it off. Then at the point you think it should go again, you turn it on. After that it remembers the interval, long or short and continues at that interval until you turn it off. Not sure how long it will go, but a minute is certainly fine. After all that effort, the darn thing actually worked! Yeah, I am surprised too.
It rained pretty hard, stuff got wet, and I bet something rusted.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Aug 27 2022, 05:33 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

Are y'all getting all this water intrusion even with good fresh(ish) seals? Just wondering 'cause I'll be driving rain or not.

+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 27 2022, 05:45 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

My frunk stays dry but the trunk gets quite a bit of water in it. Seals are not in bad shape.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Aug 27 2022, 05:48 PM
Post #25

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

My car came with the special chassis made of sugar, so I try to avoid the rain.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 27 2022, 05:53 PM
Post #26

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

The seals over the windows between the windshield frame and the targa top have been the biggest leak source in my experience. I hate it when the interior carpets get wet.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 28 2022, 08:58 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 27 2022, 05:33 PM) *

Are y'all getting all this water intrusion even with good fresh(ish) seals? Just wondering 'cause I'll be driving rain or not.

Depends on how long I drive in the rain, but in general no. I get a bit of water coming in at the top of the wing window due to a gap in the seal there, but haven't had a chance to since filling that gap with a little silicone hack. I do know that I get a lot less water in the car at the manual wand car wash where I'm blasting the side windows with high pressure spray.

As for trunks, I haven't seen any water in the trunk after driving in the rain that I can remember. After driving an hour or more at highway speeds, I do see a small amount in the frunk that comes in around the headlights. Just a few tablespoons is all. IMO, the bulkhead seal is a little too stiff and pushes the hood up just enough it doesn't seal as tightly as it could. It's enough to let a little water blow in at high speeds, but again, not too much. Would still like to get that hood sitting down more though. It would look better too.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 29 2022, 05:04 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

I picked up Bosch wiper blades at the flaps and they work great. Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 29 2022, 05:31 AM
Post #29

I am Tangerine Racing

we don't need no stinkin' wipers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77oRaG_PoSg
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 29 2022, 05:51 AM
Post #30

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It seems EVERY event I've taken the 914 to over the past 2 years or so have been wet. Sometimes VERY wet.

I spent years never letting the 914 get wet. Now I just accept it and dry things off as I can.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1661773916.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1661773917.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1661773917.3.jpg)

Its a car, and we have been using it to travel sometimes for a week at a time. Yes there is no heat. Yes the windshield fogs. So what. Crack the windows a bit - it not like they really seal anyway. Most of the rain stays out and the windshield does not fog up (rain-x and fog-x help a lot).

If I decided never to drive it in the rain, I'd really be saying I'm just not going to drive it anymore for anything other then a day trip.

Zach
+Quote Post
carlsol
post Aug 29 2022, 12:59 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 18,283
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A number of years ago I was driving my first 914, a 75, in Kansas following a recent thunderstorm. I went over a hill and was facing a rather large rain puddle across the entire highway. It was too late to stop (yes, I was going too fast) and the car immediately hydroplaned. I managed to get at least one right side wheel on the shoulder and re-established control of the car. I then pulled off at the nearest sideroad, got out of the car, and gave thanks. Nothing like 70+ MPH with little or no ability to steer. So, my current 914 (a 73) avoids rain.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 29 2022, 01:15 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

Way I see it, if our rust prone beauties get wet, it is like feeding the rust. Similar to wood, if it stays dry the decay is slowed greatly.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Aug 29 2022, 01:31 PM
Post #33

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 27 2022, 06:53 PM) *

The seals over the windows between the windshield frame and the targa top have been the biggest leak source in my experience. I hate it when the interior carpets get wet.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

When mine was my DD I hated the wet carpets so much I just removed it altogether. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Aug 29 2022, 01:45 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

What is this thing called "rain" of which you speak??
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 30 2022, 07:07 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 29 2022, 05:31 AM) *

we don't need no stinkin' wipers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Impressive, but you apparently haven't driven alongside a Montana stream when the caddis flies are hatching. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 29 2022, 01:15 PM) *

Way I see it, if our rust prone beauties get wet, it is like feeding the rust. Similar to wood, if it stays dry the decay is slowed greatly.

It's a Porsche. It WANTS to be driven. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 31 2022, 08:45 AM
Post #36

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My 914 will out live me, driving in the rain doesn't bug me much anymore. More about getting it cleaned up after = lazy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 31 2022, 12:48 PM
Post #37

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 30 2022, 08:07 PM) *

Impressive, but you apparently haven't driven alongside a Montana stream when the caddis flies are hatching. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I don't see how the wipers are much help in that instance either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Unless your spare tire is actually hooked up to the washer bottle - which contains some kind of super bug dissolver. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 31 2022, 02:03 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 29 2022, 05:31 AM) *

Borderline over the top, at least for me
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 31 2022, 06:54 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 31 2022, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 30 2022, 08:07 PM) *

I don't see how the wipers are much help in that instance either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Unless your spare tire is actually hooked up to the washer bottle - which contains some kind of super bug dissolver. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Ha ha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) , that was after a 2 hour drive through mountain canyons at dusk and shortly after dark with NO washer system. That trip prompted me to get off my butt and convert the washer system to electric after spending too much time unsuccessfully attempting to revive the old tire system. RainX fluid does a good job of cleaning those bugs off if you keep on them from the start. Once they build up like that, the washer is only going to add to the smear.

We got a good rain the day after that trip and I parked the car out in it for a couple hours. Believe it or not, it cleaned all the bugs off the windshield and paint and all I had to do was wipe the car dry. RainX on the windshield and ceramic coating on the paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Oh, and to add to the fun, I was racing home on that trip with an alternator that had just quit on me and hoping I could make it home on battery power alone because I was WAY out in the sticks. Mission accomplished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Oh, and there's more, the dizzy was crapping out on me and the little plastic thingy on the driver's door handle decided to snap. It's like the car was purposely punching me in the sack that night. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 1 2022, 09:19 AM
Post #40

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 31 2022, 07:54 PM) *

We got a good rain the day after that trip and I parked the car out in it for a couple hours. Believe it or not, it cleaned all the bugs off the windshield and paint and all I had to do was wipe the car dry. RainX on the windshield and ceramic coating on the paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Oh, and to add to the fun, I was racing home on that trip with an alternator that had just quit on me and hoping I could make it home on battery power alone because I was WAY out in the sticks. Mission accomplished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Oh, and there's more, the dizzy was crapping out on me and the little plastic thingy on the driver's door handle decided to snap. It's like the car was purposely punching me in the sack that night. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I think your 914 was pissed off at you for parking it out in the rain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 06:34 AM