Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stolen 914-6 GT BOLO
mb911
post Aug 31 2022, 06:34 PM
Post #61

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This just stinks of someone knew the car and wanted it badly. Terrible.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Aug 31 2022, 06:34 PM
Post #62

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 31 2022, 05:19 PM) *

Has an artist rendering been done of the prep ? Someone knows …,,,or may be known by law enforcement already.

Jim I don't have high expectations from HBPD, they have their hands full with just regular life bullshit a stolen car is pretty low on the todo list.
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Aug 31 2022, 06:36 PM
Post #63

Actual member 7"

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 31 2022, 05:34 PM) *

This just stinks of someone knew the car and wanted it badly. Terrible.

Ben... Yup, car was definitely targeted.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 31 2022, 07:07 PM
Post #64

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Two other cars were moved, touched. A gate opened/closed, touched. Doors/knobs other surfaces touched. Did perp wear gloves and if not have prints been lifted?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 31 2022, 07:11 PM
Post #65

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Aug 31 2022, 04:49 PM) *
Here is the odd bit it appears that the perp came back Sunday evening at about 9:45pm to roll the gate closed. Weird.

He knows the place. He knows the car. This wasn't random.
That's all i'm going to say about this.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Aug 31 2022, 08:00 PM
Post #66

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865

@Marv's3.6six I spent 32 years in SO Cal law enforcement.

I was the supervisor of the property crime / auto theft unit.

Make noise with the Property Crimes Detective Sergeant and / lieutenant. Lieutenants are lazy, they don't want work or calls, so they will tell the Sergeant to solve it. Ask me how I know. (Yes I ultimately promoted but was not one of "them."

HB used to have Jim Katapodis who was on the council, retired LAPD.. see who else is police friendly on the council and reach out to them. The POA there supports certain candidates and dont want to hear that the ones who bought them off aren't performing.

The fact that a 100K porsche was taken in what is looking like an inside job is embarrassing to them. They need to dedicate a resource. I can't tell you how much as a police supervisor, I didn't want calls from outside the building.

Email the Chief or make an appointment. When they say, what is it regarding, "Citizen dis-satisfaction and a Sergeant or Captain will not suffice".. that gets you to a commander / deputy chief. Lots of Cops are "car guys" at least the older ones... you may get a sympathetic ear.

The HBPD page has an email for property crimes detectives, but you will get more with a call.

If you want me to walk you through how that conversation should go reach out. Im a former prosecutor as well, I speak the lingo.

Robert
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Aug 31 2022, 09:22 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 31 2022, 05:11 PM) *

Here is the odd bit it appears that the perp came back Sunday evening at about 9:45pm to roll the gate closed. Weird.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Wondering if he had a key too. I mean to go to that length to grab a specific car.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Aug 31 2022, 09:41 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 31 2022, 09:22 PM) *

Wondering if he had a key too. I mean to go to that length to grab a specific car.

and keys to move other cars too?
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Aug 31 2022, 11:13 PM
Post #69

Actual member 7"

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 31 2022, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 31 2022, 09:22 PM) *

and keys to move other cars too?

No one had the key to the gate or to any cars. Gate was damaged and lock broken. Merc and Pcar slim jimmed pro level type work.
+Quote Post
mate914
post Sep 1 2022, 08:55 AM
Post #70

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

I agree with Robarabian. Make some phone calls to the people who are in charge of enforcing the laws.
Good luck with your search.

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 1 2022, 09:09 AM
Post #71

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Aug 31 2022, 08:00 PM) *

@Marv's3.6six I spent 32 years in SO Cal law enforcement.

I was the supervisor of the property crime / auto theft unit.

Make noise with the Property Crimes Detective Sergeant and / lieutenant. Lieutenants are lazy, they don't want work or calls, so they will tell the Sergeant to solve it. Ask me how I know. (Yes I ultimately promoted but was not one of "them."

HB used to have Jim Katapodis who was on the council, retired LAPD.. see who else is police friendly on the council and reach out to them. The POA there supports certain candidates and dont want to hear that the ones who bought them off aren't performing.

The fact that a 100K porsche was taken in what is looking like an inside job is embarrassing to them. They need to dedicate a resource. I can't tell you how much as a police supervisor, I didn't want calls from outside the building.

Email the Chief or make an appointment. When they say, what is it regarding, "Citizen dis-satisfaction and a Sergeant or Captain will not suffice".. that gets you to a commander / deputy chief. Lots of Cops are "car guys" at least the older ones... you may get a sympathetic ear.

The HBPD page has an email for property crimes detectives, but you will get more with a call.

If you want me to walk you through how that conversation should go reach out. Im a former prosecutor as well, I speak the lingo.

Robert

This is pretty much how we got the calipers back that Porsche Classic sent to our old address. Once the Chief of Police got involved, things started moving quickly.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 1 2022, 09:11 AM
Post #72

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Aug 31 2022, 07:29 PM) *

I sure hope the car gets returned.

I just spoke with James Patrick of Patrick Motorports to BOLO. James' parts are all over that car, he knows the car. I hope it does not come to this but James said $225k to build a new one, ouch. Thats a delta of 2.3x from the Hagerty insured value. Again I hope it gets returned and don't want to get all legal if'n you know what I mean.

I had the same issue with Hagerty. I have an appraisal that is way more than I have for insurance on my car. Hagerty won't insure a 914 conversion car for anything close to the appraised value because they can't find "comparables". But the reason they can't find comparables is because they won't insure it for the appraised value. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I moved to Hagerty from State Farm because State Farm completely dropped agreed value coverage. My agent told me they are going to become a reseller of Hagerty insurance, so they had to drop coverage as not to compete.

I also have a tracker on the car. They are GEGO luggage trackers. Rechargable via USB, and they work anywhere in the world. I have them wired into the car's electrical system so they stay charged. But the internal battery will keep them running for about 40 hours on the high resolution setting. So even if the battery on the car is disconnected, they still keep broadcasting.

Attached Image

The yearly fee for the service is not cheap. But it provides piece of mind for our cars.

Clay
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Sep 1 2022, 12:12 PM
Post #73

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 1 2022, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Aug 31 2022, 07:29 PM) *

I sure hope the car gets returned.

I just spoke with James Patrick of Patrick Motorports to BOLO. James' parts are all over that car, he knows the car. I hope it does not come to this but James said $225k to build a new one, ouch. Thats a delta of 2.3x from the Hagerty insured value. Again I hope it gets returned and don't want to get all legal if'n you know what I mean.

I had the same issue with Hagerty. I have an appraisal that is way more than I have for insurance on my car. Hagerty won't insure a 914 conversion car for anything close to the appraised value because they can't find "comparables". But the reason they can't find comparables is because they won't insure it for the appraised value. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Actually @ClayPerrine I'm not sure when you went through this exercise with them but I got a letter from Patrick Motorsports on my car (VIN and Value specific) when I bought it, where James Patrick stated $195k to recreate and Hagerty insured it to that amount. Surely worth revisiting, also this was 4-5yrs ago now and the prices have only increased.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 1 2022, 12:46 PM
Post #74

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Comparables are usually sold cars, not other cars insured values.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
narino
post Sep 1 2022, 02:07 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 8,001
Region Association: None

This is gut wrenching. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope she gets found and brought back home safely.

@ClayPerrine I've been considering something similar for my cars. I'm looking at the GV50MA at Optimustracker.com . It reports every 30 seconds and on corners. Looks to be slightly more expensive monthly than the GeGo. But seems to be another good option.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Sep 1 2022, 05:02 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Bump, this needs to stay near the top!
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Sep 1 2022, 05:52 PM
Post #77

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865

Jorge,

See my other post titled "In light of Marv's car"...

QUOTE(narino @ Sep 1 2022, 01:07 PM) *

This is gut wrenching. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope she gets found and brought back home safely.

@ClayPerrine I've been considering something similar for my cars. I'm looking at the GV50MA at Optimustracker.com . It reports every 30 seconds and on corners. Looks to be slightly more expensive monthly than the GeGo. But seems to be another good option.

+Quote Post
second wind
post Sep 1 2022, 10:08 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 12,543

I am shocked and appalled by this post and my heart goes out to the owner....I am also deeply alarmed. So there hasn't been any security camera footage of this criminal even on the streets where the car was spotted driving around? There has to be something somewhere, eh? So good luck to you on getting your baby back. So now what do we all do? I live in a nice neighborhood but every home has been burglarized over the past couple of years. These are high end homes in the hills above Los Angeles. I park my '73 2.0 way up on the driveway but given this story is my car safe anywhere? If someone wants it I guess they will get it? You literally can forklift our cars on to a flat bed in no time....I believe at this point any 914 is a target....Whisky Tango Foxtrot....???
gg
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 1 2022, 10:19 PM
Post #79

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

So sorry Marv. I remember reading about what you went through to get this car built. I am heartbroken for you.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Sep 2 2022, 12:15 AM
Post #80

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 31 2022, 07:07 PM) *

Two other cars were moved, touched. A gate opened/closed, touched. Doors/knobs other surfaces touched. Did perp wear gloves and if not have prints been lifted?

The hot ticket around here is to use gloves and spray the surfaces with WD40... no chances of leaving any traces. I've had a couple of friends lose valuable JDM cars to this same MO.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:04 AM