Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WE HAVE BEEN INSULTED!, On Youtube!
rick 918-S
post Sep 17 2022, 05:40 AM
Post #61

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 16 2022, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(robkammer @ Sep 16 2022, 04:52 PM) *

Insulted yet again! Just received the new Pano. Not sure who the new scribe Lyn Woodward is but she sure doesn't think much of our Teeners. At least she didn't NARP it. Well, she kinda did.

Being insulted in Pano is a little more personal than some random Youtube "influencer," but I still have mixed emotions. In a way I feel like any insults within Porsche circles are bringing the world back into balance to the way things should be. Every time I get a wave or headlight flash from a 911 these days, I get dizzy and disoriented because my brain just can't quite process what is happening. It just seems so wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I do not get Pano. What did she say?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Sep 17 2022, 06:50 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

She described the subject's 914 as a "... glorified VW in Porsche clothing...."

A pretty hefty insult allowed by the editorial staff at Pano.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 17 2022, 08:07 AM
Post #63

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 17 2022, 07:50 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) same old reason I stopped my membership back in the late 90's after attending a couple events in Mlps. Got the cold shoulder and the breeze.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 17 2022, 08:30 AM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 17 2022, 06:50 AM) *

Well that makes me feel even better. It's the same old misinformed but often regurgitated counterfactual... just like the good ol' days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) And the fact it was sanctioned by the editors means she's not alone in still believing that nonsense. Thank goodness! I thought I might have slipped into a parallel universe for awhile. Glad to know I'm still here in the stupid one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 17 2022, 10:37 AM
Post #65

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 17 2022, 10:30 AM) *

Well that makes me feel even better. It's the same old misinformed but often regurgitated counterfactual... just like the good ol' days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) And the fact it was sanctioned by the editors means she's not alone in still believing that nonsense. Thank goodness! I thought I might have slipped into a parallel universe for awhile. Glad to know I'm still here in the stupid one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

After attending the PCA national event in Traverse City MI way back around 1989 and getting snubbed by nearly everyone, I long ago decided I’ll never support PCA, Panorama, or anything else associated with these folks. Porsche ceased to exist for me as a marque when they quit racing to go build a SUV. Porsche is now just another Lifestyle brand.

Hypocrisy, ignorance, and snobbery have been a hallmark of the PCA / Pano crowd as long as I’ve been in this hobby. There are exceptions but they are the minority in my experience.

Been that way since 1987 when I got my 1st 914. I thoroughly enjoy that the 914 is the black sheep of the family.
+Quote Post
PCH
post Sep 17 2022, 02:20 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 22,772
Region Association: Southern California

"... glorified VW in Porsche clothing...."

Could she please explain what she means by that? Is it the 901 transmission? The engine that was used in the Porsche 912E? The 911 pedal cluster and all the parts that have Porsche numbers on them?

Way to go! Excellent job insulting your readership and the people who are paying you to write.

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Sep 17 2022, 02:43 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

i believe she drives around in a porsche SUV.

what is a cayenne?

a glorified audi Q8?

what is an audi Q8?

a glorified VW toureg?

who built the platform model as the basis of all present day VW group (empire?) manufacturing.

f. piech.

what was his first road car project?

the 914?

lyn whatever is fairly typical of journalists. stuck in their present with no history and even less sense of the future - just jabbering cliches. the world is full of them covering every subject from military conflicts to dishwashers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Big Len
post Sep 20 2022, 06:27 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

I sent an email to Rob Sass, the Editor of Pano, asking how did the staff miss this blatant insult. He emailed back stating he will talk to the writer, but thought the comment was tongue-in- cheek.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 20 2022, 07:23 AM
Post #69

914 Guru

QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 20 2022, 08:27 AM) *

I sent an email to Rob Sass, the Editor of Pano, asking how did the staff miss this blatant insult. He emailed back stating he will talk to the writer, but thought the comment was tongue-in- cheek.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Editor passing the buck rather than owning up to his job.
I’m sure he’ll give her a good stern talking’ to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Far more informative to just let people speak freely rather than enforcing some fake political correctness that thou shall not insult the lesser 914 owner’s among us. They can’t help it that they can’t afford real Porsche’s. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 20 2022, 07:28 AM
Post #70

914 Guru

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Sep 17 2022, 04:43 PM) *

lyn whatever is fairly typical of journalists. stuck in their present with no history and even less sense of the future - just jabbering cliches. the world is full of them covering every subject from military conflicts to dishwashers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Well said
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 20 2022, 08:09 AM
Post #71

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Sep 17 2022, 04:43 PM) *

i believe she drives around in a porsche SUV.

what is a cayenne?

a glorified audi Q8?

what is an audi Q8?

a glorified VW toureg?

who built the platform model as the basis of all present day VW group (empire?) manufacturing.

f. piech.

what was his first road car project?

the 914?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

every time i hear or read a comment like that i think about all the parts of modern Porsche not made by porsche or made in Germany or US, and not even assembled in the main facilities in Germany, including the Boxsters in Finland , and we could go on and on on how stupid that is. Really it should have been caught by editor, but if this it now the standard at PANO , and their just employing Hack-for-hire journalists , yep im ready to cancel mine as well, but they need to know its not just a small slight and you are talking about a car that basically saved that company from extinction!, sold 118,000 cars. i guess if he reads these comments and if more current members that are now buying and paying $100k for a 914 say something maybe we see an editor note in the next months magazine and just maybe she's done writing for PANO.

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 20 2022, 09:00 AM
Post #72

914 Guru

I've written something to this effect before - The essence of 914 ownership is to cheerfully endure insults and ridicule while silently relishing in knowing that you and your car are superior to them and theirs.

I'm inclined to just thank the writer and editors for helping me appreciate my 914 a little more and move on.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 20 2022, 09:17 AM
Post #73

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 20 2022, 11:00 AM) *

The essence of 914 ownership is to cheerfully endure insults and ridicule while silently relishing in knowing that you and your car are superior to them and theirs.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Sep 20 2022, 09:27 AM
Post #74

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

I think it goes to the pettiness of taildraggers as our cockpit embellishments, door handles, window cranks and dashboard knobs are VW not the sacrosanct Porsche knobs.
Dumped PCA when the interweb became a thing, I always looked over every issue of Pano that I got to find tips, parts for sale and some vendor advertisements never saw a car like mine featured so hello world wide web good bye snobs.
Old adage what is the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?
The Porsche has the pricks on the inside.

I don’t care what anyone thinks of my car, it’s what I chose for all its issues it is still the fun factor. I’ve been asked what is the best view of your 914? I say it’s from the drivers seat, carving up a canyon road.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 20 2022, 09:34 AM
Post #75

914 Guru

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 20 2022, 08:09 AM) *

every time i hear or read a comment like that i think about all the parts of modern Porsche not made by porsche or made in Germany or US, and not even assembled in the main facilities in Germany, including the Boxsters in Finland , and we could go on and on on how stupid that is. Really it should have been caught by editor, but if this it now the standard at PANO , and their just employing Hack-for-hire journalists , yep im ready to cancel mine as well, but they need to know its not just a small slight and you are talking about a car that basically saved that company from extinction!, sold 118,000 cars. i guess if he reads these comments and if more current members that are now buying and paying $100k for a 914 say something maybe we see an editor note in the next months magazine and just maybe she's done writing for PANO.

I think an article that walks through just how much VW or Porsche is in a 914/4 would be quite interesting. We already know that 100% of the design was Porsche, including the Type IV engine. That is even before Hans Mezger tweaked it for the 2.0L. VWs design contributions were to cut costs and cheapen the car like use rear drum brakes instead of disc which Porsche vetoed.

The parts count would be quite interesting. Mostly it is just switches, light fixtures, and seat belts outside the Porsche-designed VW engine. Even the instrument cluster and ventilation controls are Porsche. I don't know how you categorize brakes and steering rack which have VW part numbers but are from the same OEM with identical design and function to Porsche counterparts. And IIRC, there are a couple VW parts that were shared with the 356. Once you cataloged all the parts that are shared with other Porsche models along with parts unique to the 914 with 914.xxx part numbers, I doubt you'd have even 20% VW content. Nothing against VW parts at all, but the fact is that I don't think the 914 borrowed from the VW parts bin nearly as much as the media has led people to believe from the time the model was first introduced.

Better yet, somebody should pull all the VW parts out of a 914/4 and weigh them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 20 2022, 09:47 AM
Post #76

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 20 2022, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 20 2022, 08:09 AM) *

I think an article that walks through just how much VW or Porsche is in a 914/4 would be quite interesting. We already know that 100% of the design was Porsche, including the Type IV engine. That is even before Hans Mezger tweaked it for the 2.0L. VWs design contributions were to cut costs and cheapen the car like use rear drum brakes instead of disc which Porsche vetoed.

The parts count would be quite interesting. Mostly it is just switches, light fixtures, and seat belts outside the Porsche-designed VW engine. Even the instrument cluster and ventilation controls are Porsche. I don't know how you categorize brakes and steering rack which have VW part numbers but are from the same OEM with identical design and function to Porsche counterparts. And IIRC, there are a couple VW parts that were shared with the 356. Once you cataloged all the parts that are shared with other Porsche models along with parts unique to the 914 with 914.xxx part numbers, I doubt you'd have even 20% VW content. Nothing against VW parts at all, but the fact is that I don't think the 914 borrowed from the VW parts bin nearly as much as the media has led people to believe from the time the model was first introduced.

Better yet, somebody should pull all the VW parts out of a 914/4 and weigh them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

well said, that's what i was talking about. perception is 90% of reality right so for the casual observer they hear and then regurgitate this stupidity like this writer did, but maybe if she actually were presented with facts and data some of that perception changes. and also as it does thru experience, so maybe someone could offer up a ride in their 914 sometime, . we say dont care what others think or say but yes we do because we know its not true and this bothers us i think .

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 20 2022, 09:52 AM
Post #77

914 Guru

All good points but it doesn’t matter.

Does anyone insist on the same standard for 924’s and the other water pumpers?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 20 2022, 09:58 AM
Post #78

914 Guru

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 20 2022, 09:47 AM) *

we say dont care what others think or say but yes we do because we know its not true and this bothers us i think .

Exactly! If someone says the 914 is ugly or they drive it and say they hate the way it handles, I truly don't care. Their statements are true from their perspective and equally as true as my opposite opinion. But continuing to regurgitate empirically false statements bugs the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of me. That applies well beyond 914s but I won't go there.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 20 2022, 10:07 AM
Post #79

914 Guru

I realized back at that PCA national event in 1989 that most that own a Porsche do so for the perceived brand status. Most of the people I talked to didn’t work on their cars, had little real appreciation for those that did.

Since I lived in the area at the time, the backroads were also heavily traveled by Porsche’s. Mostly driving too slow and generally making a nuisance of themselves.

Little has changed over 30+ years.

There was a great spot on Car Talk years ago from a 911 owner that wanted Click and Clack to give pointers on the high-points of a 911 so that the listener could talk more intelligently about the car when gear heads asked questions.

Edit: found it. https://www.npr.org/2013/08/17/212962401/-1...rsation-stopper. Starts around 37:16 mark.

Let’s face it the average Porsche buyer isn’t buying one for the engineering and driving dynamics any more than your average BWW buyer was buying the ultimate driving machine. It is for the lifestyle brand image. Plain and simple.

To expect others to know the history and to honor a 914 in all its glory is asking too much.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 20 2022, 11:00 AM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 20 2022, 09:27 AM) *

I think it goes to the pettiness of taildraggers as our cockpit embellishments, door handles, window cranks and dashboard knobs are VW not the sacrosanct Porsche knobs.
Dumped PCA when the interweb became a thing, I always looked over every issue of Pano that I got to find tips, parts for sale and some vendor advertisements never saw a car like mine featured so hello world wide web good bye snobs.
Old adage what is the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?
The Porsche has the pricks on the inside.

I don’t care what anyone thinks of my car, it’s what I chose for all its issues it is still the fun factor. I’ve been asked what is the best view of your 914? I say it’s from the drivers seat, carving up a canyon road.

+1, thanks for the chuckle. I could care less what Pano or whomever authority has to say, they can all kiss my %$#.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:01 AM