Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brakes don't Bite
JamesM
post Sep 3 2022, 12:44 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Sep 2 2022, 05:38 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I can lock up the fronts. It takes a good shove, and maybe the left locks before the right.

I hear you about bleeding and stubborn air. Like I said, I went through several episodes with different techniques. And I will do more, with all the chanting and banging on components I can think of.

I went through the bedding process again today, and maybe the brakes feel a bit better.

And I realize that 1960s engineering, and small, single piston calipers can only do so much. But I still think I should feel more bite and urgency when I get on the brakes hard.

If you can lock them up and the pedal isnt doing unpredictable things then you should be good to go as far as system assembly and bleeding.

As I (and Ian) mentioned, the rebuilt calipers take a while to break in and sometimes it takes a lot more then you think to properly bed the pads.

Go find an empty road and run through the bedding procedure again, maybe even a couple more times and this time REALLY give it to them, do not go easy, this is not how you would normally drive, brake as aggressively as you possibly can without locking them up from freeway speeds down to barely rolling. Multiple times, to the point they start to fade before letting them cool off.

I think people underestimate the aggressiveness needed here. If you are not smelling burning brakes and possibly seeing smoke you are not getting them hot enough.

With the Porterfield R4 being a race pad it takes even more to bed them in (Eric recommends the aggressive (near lockup) stops from 80mph) and per Porterfield they don't achieve optimal friction until they are above 450F.

Ultimately it may be that you just prefer the feel of a street pad, but I suspect you need more time to fully bed the pads and break in the calipers so I would run through that again and give it some time before you make the decision to swap pads.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Sep 3 2022, 05:20 AM
Post #22

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Pressure bleeding is the best way to bleed the Brake's on a 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 3 2022, 06:23 AM
Post #23

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Sep 3 2022, 04:20 AM) *

Pressure bleeding is the best way to bleed the Brake's on a 914.

Hmmm… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
I’ve been running the Porterfield R4S’ for years and bedded them as prescribed by Eric. But never felt they were as efficient; most of my driving is local and under moderate driving conditions; is it possible that I don’t achieve that 450 temp ?
What would be a better choice if so.
Interesting topic !
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 3 2022, 09:51 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,674

Different car but maybe a useful data point - I had some unknown old and what appeared to be metallic very hard pads on my race car with Willword calipers. I called Willwood to get their recommendation for a pad. I gave them car weight, HP, typical track cycles (speeds braking from down to corner speeds how many times per lap and how much time between applications).

I was surprised when they recommended an aggressive street compound. They said my loading was just not enough to get sufficient heat into a race pad to generate good friction. My point is Race oriented compounds need a lot of heat to get into efficient friction ranges. The new ceramic street compounds are very good at generating initial bite with minimal loading while providing good wear characteristics.

Not sure what type of compound the R4S is, but you might be asking it to do something it is not designed for
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 3 2022, 10:07 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Sep 3 2022, 11:51 AM) *

Not sure what type of compound the R4S is, but you might be asking it to do something it is not designed for

R4S is a street / performance compound so not outright race pads. R4S also have a good history for most but certainly may not be for everyone.

having said that I don’t disagree a bit with prior comments of re-bedding and or consideration of a pad change as a possible improvement - it all depends on driving style.

Each pad has its own friction curve. Some (race pads) have low friction until the get hot. Others have high friction when cold but fall off drastically when hot (prior to actual fade).

One thing that has frustrated me for years in the aftermarket is the unavailability of the curves. They are easily obtained on a brake dyno. The problem is the data is so specific to a particular pad, rotor, caliper combination so the data doesn’t necessarily apply the same between a Nissan and a 914 for example.

For example the Porterfield is listed by PMB as 0.41 mu (friction coefficient) but doesn’t tell you what temperature that is at. No pad has a singular average mu at all temps. This doesn’t reflect on PMB - like I said the pad suppliers just don’t provide good data.

That leaves us with trial and error.

I really used to like Ferodo back in the day but Only God knows what they are like today with all the EPA regulatory restrictions limiting raw materials.

FYI - get ready for things to get worse. Copper is being regulated out of pad formulas for OEMs. It has caused a lot of chaos trying to find new friction compounds that work as well as those that had copper in them. This will eventually trickle down to the aftermarket. If you have a particular pad that you love - stock up now.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 3 2022, 11:12 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 3 2022, 10:07 AM) *

FYI - get ready for things to get worse. Copper is being regulated out of pad formulas for OEMs. It has caused a lot of chaos trying to find new friction compounds that work as well as those that had copper in them. This will eventually trickle down to the aftermarket. If you have a particular pad that you love - stock up now.

I can't let this pass without comment. This isn't coming as some random restriction to stick it to auto parts manufacturers. Copper is toxic as hell to aquatic life which is why it is great for household plumbing because not much can live in it. Copper content in storm water in some metro areas exceeds safe limits for marine and freshwater life and a major source of that copper has been found to be brake dust running off of streets. AFAIK, the regs will reduce the amount of copper in brake pads but not eliminate it completely. Yeah, it's a PITA to have to reformulate brake pads again, but living with degraded natural systems we depend on for food and oxygen is no picnic either. Just saying...
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 3 2022, 12:25 PM
Post #27

Get that VIN ?

What's a recommended for light daily driving ? I have 911M front calipers, 914 rear calipers. Both front and rear rotors are vented type. Current pads are Porterfield R4S
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Sep 3 2022, 12:49 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 3 2022, 10:25 AM) *

What's a recommended for light daily driving ? I have 911M front calipers, 914 rear calipers. Both front and rear rotors are vented type. Current pads are Porterfield R4S

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/images/p...06_02_41_04.pdf

If sticking with Porterfield ceramic pads, looking at their brochure the R4-1 compound looks like it would have quite a bit more friction and at lower temperatures.

but, it may be you just prefer the feel of a non ceramic pad that dont need the time to warm up.

I have never been unhappy with OE compound pads (Bosch, Pagid, ATE) for daily driving. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Sep 3 2022, 08:09 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

Thanks, again. I will try bedding again with some extreme force, driving to loosen up the caliper piston seals, and more bleeding.

I am also inclined to swap pads to something stock/street oriented. Suggestions welcome, especially if anyone can compare to the Porterfield R4-S pads.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 4 2022, 05:02 AM
Post #30

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I used to sell KFP pads because I liked their performance, but not enough customers bought them so I stopped selling them. Their street pad compound 1935 has excellent cold bite and the full race compound withstood the heat I could generate with stock calipers and wide slick tires.
I tried using their autocross compound on my street 914 until I scared myself with an emergency stop that almost wasn't successful because the brakes were cold.
I bed my street pads with repeated heavy braking to warm them up to just smoking temp and then allow to cool. It isn't very convenient to repeatedly brake to a stop on public roads so I only go down to 10-15 mph but still gradually increase the brake temperature over a couple miles of driving until I smell the compound baking out and then I drive home without using the brakes at all.
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Sep 4 2022, 06:36 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Sep 3 2022, 07:09 PM) *

Thanks, again. I will try bedding again with some extreme force, driving to loosen up the caliper piston seals, and more bleeding.

I am also inclined to swap pads to something stock/street oriented. Suggestions welcome, especially if anyone can compare to the Porterfield R4-S pads.

I had R4-S on my 944T that I bedded properly twice and the stopping power was marginal. I could not lock up the fronts unless I jammed the brakes as hard as I could. I switched to stock (Textar) pads and the brakes were much better. I also have R4-S on my 911 and I'm not convinced they are better than the stock pads were.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Sep 5 2022, 07:57 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

I ordered a set of Textar OEM style pads for F and R today. Let's see if they have better cold friction.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 5 2022, 08:46 PM
Post #33

Get that VIN ?

I just ordered the Pagids from PMB, Here’s the infomercial from the site :

“ Pagid brakes are found in the calipers of vehicles from Ferrari, Porsche, and Callaway as standard equipment, and the company's real emphasis is on performance. If you have a high-performance vehicle, particularly one of European descent, Pagid brakes are most likely available to fit your car. In addition to shorter stopping distances, Pagid brakes have noticeably reduced fade after multiple stops. But the big advantage to Pagid brakes is their cold friction capability—in other words, the amount of brake feel you get even when the pads are cold. Many performance pads don't stop well until they're warm, but Pagid brakes are built for real-world driving conditions. That means you get short, firm stops in all conditions. Whether your car sees primarily commutes to the office, or you get to spend time on the track, Pagid brakes are a worthwhile upgrade to your factory system.

These are my favorites for value and overall performance. I currently run them in my 914-6/GT car with S-Calipers up front and GT calipers in the rear. “
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Sep 5 2022, 09:12 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 12,023

Mentioned before but the stock system was designed with a 17mm MC. The 19mm one is used on the 914-6 which has 48mm front pistons instead of the stock /4 42mm. In the back, the pistons are 38 for the 914-6 vs. 33mm for the /4. This is a pretty big overall surface difference!

Being that our beloved 914s aren't assisted on the brakes, I would think switching to 19mm while keeping the stock calipers must make the pedal feel pretty scary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
robkammer
post Sep 8 2022, 01:25 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 25,049

This is a thread I thought I would need to start. I'm having the same issue. Bought my 74 in Feb 21, pulled all of the brake parts except the steel lines. I sent the calipers to PMB along with the regulator. Bought an EZ MC from 914 rubber. Over the next 6 months (!) I was able to get it all together and start bleeding. And bleeding And bleeding. Over 2 quarts in all, lots of bumpy roads, hammer blows to the calipers and about 350 miles total. Finally the brakes were OK but would not lock up regardless of pedal pressure.

Then as I was putting the car away for winter I noticed that all 4 calipers nice new gold coating was pitted and looking like they were several years old. Crap. PMB sent replacements which I installed in January.

Bleeding wasn't as bad since I had fluid in the system, but still, after about 10-12 bleedings and 500 miles I still don't have brakes I would like to have. Soft pedal, doesn't pump up, push rod clearance is good, no leaks, Porterfield pads, venting clearance of 3mm.
When bleeding I can hear the regulator working, click click with the pedal travel, don't know if that's normal but it seems like that would indicate that it's working.

On my last spirited drive with lots of hard braking I pulled into the shop and took temp readings on all of the rotors. The were all within 2 degrees of the others.( 120-122F) That tells me all 4 are trying to stop the car.

I am really tired of screwing with these brakes. Bummed that I'm going to have to replace the lines from the reservoir to the MC if I go with an ATE MC. I'm thinking the Chinese EZ may be the issue.

Any input is welcome.

Other than that, life is good! Still a couple of good driving months left on the North Coast!

+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 8 2022, 03:17 PM
Post #36

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(robkammer @ Sep 8 2022, 02:25 PM) *

venting clearance of 3mm.

Hmm, what?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 8 2022, 03:50 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(robkammer @ Sep 8 2022, 03:25 PM) *

On my last spirited drive with lots of hard braking I pulled into the shop and took temp readings on all of the rotors. The were all within 2 degrees of the others.( 120-122F) That tells me all 4 are trying to stop the car.

Hmm? What? 125F means you aren’t measuring before they cool down or they are not even working. That’s not even 40 degrees above ambient. Even 125 C isn’t hot for spirited driving or we have vastly different definitions of spirited driving.

The only objective measure is can you lock the fronts? If not - something is wrong.
+Quote Post
robkammer
post Sep 9 2022, 07:39 AM
Post #38

Guys: Oops, not 3mm, .003". Clearance between rear pads and the rotor at rest.
I was thinking 120 degrees was kinda cool too. I took the reading at the outer edge of the rotors less than a minute from stopping. No way I can get these to lock up. I'm seeing some brake dust and it does stop eventually but not like the should.
PMB Says it's the 914 MC, 914 says they don't know.
If I put in the Ate I've kinda been screwed because the EZ involves cutting away the feed lines so I'll have to replace those too. I'm game for whatever, just want to get them right once and move on.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 9 2022, 08:12 AM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

Hmm. I have PMB plated calipers that I rebuild myself per their instructions. Same for the pressure regulator. Porterfield pads and a 914R MC WITHOUT the EZ option (I never liked the look of that "improvement"). So, essentially the same setup as you other than the EZ option.

I initially bled my brakes using the gravity method that Eric describes on the PMB site, making sure to bang on the MC, regulator, and all calipers with a rubber mallet. I let the car set a couple weeks and followed up with a Motive power bleed and the pedal became rock hard. After bedding the brakes on the initial drive, I gave it another round with the Motive but don't remember getting much, if any, more air out. I do think the gravity bleed helped set me up for an easier power bleed.

I think I just got lucky but 6,000 miles later, the pedal is still firm and brake feel is excellent at all speeds although I still wish I had a 17mm MC. The other day I was driving at 70 mph on the frontage road and thinking of this thread and decided to punch the brakes hard. I heard the front tires chirp on the pavement within a second and let up and kept driving.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the 914R MC and would go ATE if I had it to do again, but it does a good job of stopping the car and I'm happy with the overall setup. I've been paying a lot closer attention since this thread started, wondering if I had just gotten used to sub par performance but I'm confident I'm not. Even our resident brake engineer, @Superhawk996 has driven the car and didn't comment on the brakes. He may have been too preoccupied complaining about the steering (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I really don't know why I had luck with my setup where others are having trouble. The only things I've done are get a good bleed on the system and bedded the brakes like I hated them (Of course I couldn't see it, but I'm pretty sure they were glowing red hot).
+Quote Post
robkammer
post Sep 9 2022, 01:14 PM
Post #40

Thanks All: Good comments all around. Still not sure where to head. I've not tried bedding them by heating them up really hot. That'll be easy enough to do, or at least see if I can get them hot enough.
I've bled this car using every method known to man, and am back to the two person pump and hold method. Have not seen air the last several sessions.
My next step is probably to put another MC in. Going to have a friend drive the car this weekend and get his input.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 05:46 PM