Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Targa Top Issues, Loose
NARP74
post Sep 5 2022, 08:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have noticed some creaking coming from the rear targa top area when I drive. I lifted up on all four corners of the top and the right rear is loose. Even when the top is latched, I can lift it up a bit. That is probably my issue, but what is the fix?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 5 2022, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I recently went through the same thing,right rear corner creaked. Keith (914Toy) helped to fix mine. With the top off, he used a C-Clamp to bend the hook part of the latch down.It doesn't much bending, 1/4" at most.
Since one of my latches was bad,I replaces both with Bruce Stone rebuilds. They worked perfect.Only problem was getting the targa pad off.....
I also replaced the rear targa top seal
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Sep 5 2022, 10:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I keep hearing about the pad replacing being a tough job, be nice to avoid that if possible I guess. I'll take a look at the latches side to side and see what I find. Thanks for the tip.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Sep 5 2022, 12:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You can also slide a short length of plastic or rubber hose onto the prong on the targa top's receiver for the latch. One of mine came with about a 1/4" long plastic hose section and I got the creaking. The targa top latch part was fine so I later replaced the "hook" part on with a set of Bruce Stone's rebuilds. My "hook" part was slightly bent and worn.
+Quote Post
FL000
post Sep 5 2022, 02:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,076

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Sep 5 2022, 11:20 AM) *

You can also slide a short length of plastic or rubber hose onto the prong on the targa top's receiver for the latch. One of mine came with about a 1/4" long plastic hose section and I got the creaking. The targa top latch part was fine so I later replaced the "hook" part on with a set of Bruce Stone's rebuilds. My "hook" part was slightly bent and worn.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The rubber hose over the hook has worked for me too. Nothing more annoying on a long road trip than hearing the squeak (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Another temp fix I learned here is to place some paper, dollar bill, etc under it. Works in a pinch, pun intended.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 5 2022, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 6 2022, 02:52 AM) *

I have noticed some creaking coming from the rear targa top area when I drive. I lifted up on all four corners of the top and the right rear is loose. Even when the top is latched, I can lift it up a bit. That is probably my issue, but what is the fix?

Had the same issue,set of Bruces rebuilt rear latches fixed that,if the back rubber is worn out you need to replace that also.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 5 2022, 03:04 PM
Post #7

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Yes the targa pad removal is a bear the first time you try it. Keith ( 914Toy) helped me R/R the pads so new latches could be installed.Here's a couple of tips I learned:
1. The twelve screws holding the pad to metal are very short and have a washer around the head of the screw.Using a #1 Phillips, unscrew each screw. The screw are not coming out:that washer helps keep the screw inside the pad.
2. Remove the B-pillar covers. Usually the coat hook has a screw, and 2/3 down there's
a #6 screw,which may be hard to see.
3. Carefully pry the pad loose, the latches will have to be manipulated to get the end of the pad off.
4. Install new latches.
5. Before reinstalling the targa pad, test the fit the top with the new latches.
6. If the latch seems really tight, put gasket material under the hooks where they attach to the roof. This will make the latch easie.

WE spend two hours on this, and could probably do it now in 30 minutes
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 5 2022, 07:41 PM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 5 2022, 07:52 AM) *

@NARP74
Make sure you have the correct too.
The rubber blocks for the early tops are shorter andcwider. A nickle will fit between the bumps on a late latch and a quarter is the width of the early latch. Compare that to the width of the rubber block tgat fits unto the top of the latch.
+Quote Post
914GTSTI
post Sep 6 2022, 12:43 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,123
Region Association: None

Anybody tried using shrink tubing ?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:49 AM