Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is your FLAPS disappearing, ...or generally a waste of time
914werke
post Sep 8 2022, 04:29 PM
Post #1

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Group: Members
Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I remember when there were multiple differing parts suppliers including 1 or 2 thriving hot rod shops. Now its down to 2 or 3 which ALL carry the same thing & are staffed with a revolving barrel of monkeys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
The interweb & Amazon have killed your corner auto parts store.
I had a Worldpac account until even Redline weber started limiting the ACVW stuff they carried. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 31)
Root_Werks
post Sep 9 2022, 09:50 AM
Post #21

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

I would say locally in the PNW, not really disappearing, but changed a lot over the years. Some have already said, FLAPS are going to stock common parts that sell. I can still walk into most any local parts store and get parts for our drivers (1994 Jeep, 1994 Ranger). I don't even bother with FLAPS for the 914 or Bug.

What sort of sucks is the lack of decent parts. Installed more than a few bad parts out of box. If I want a Motorcraft or Mopar part, have to order...which means I generally shop online anyway.

Good for wiper blades still, maybe an overprice quart of oil? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 9 2022, 10:44 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Interesting thread on a topic I hadn't thought much about, but yeah, FLAPS have really changed. Gone are the old FLAPS that included a service garage where the guys doing the wrenching were also helping at the counter. That guy probably already knew what you drove and something of your history with it. Gone also are the specialty import parts shops that any town of 30,000 people or larger had where you could pick up all kinds of VW parts from in stock inventory.

Our local NAPA and O'Reilly's still have a few guys and even the occasional gal who know how to wrench and can give decent advice, but they are mixed with staff who don't know the business end of a screw driver so it is luck of the draw. Of course, I also know a lot more about my cars now than I did back in the day, so have less need to seek advice.

Then there is the age of our cars. Our cars are as old now as Model As were back in our glory days when we could pick up lots of parts for our 914s from the FLAPS on a whim. I doubt the Model A guys would have had any better luck finding parts back then than we do now. As has been said, FLAPS are made for modern cars and I"m not sure that has really changed much.

I do miss the stable staff who owned and worked the shop for decades. Had a staff of mechanics always available to help. Wrenched their own cars and raced them on weekends. You don't find that at the FLAPS anymore.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Sep 9 2022, 10:52 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

We still have one mom and pop auto parts store left in the area. I'm not sure when they opened the doors, but I know when I was started going there in the mid to late 80's, the same guy was working the counter that still works the counter today. I think he took it over from his dad. Back in the 80's he had the stock, blonde feathered haircut...now... bald. We're not getting any younger.

He's obviously got a lot of experience and has helped many times with parts for my 1990 F-150. Even if he doesn't have a part, he can usually point me in the direction of where to get it. I've never gone to him for 914 parts. I usually just use the vendors on this site.

+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 9 2022, 10:31 PM
Post #24

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

Welcome to capitalism, where businesses sell products that can make them money. Upset that your 50 year old car doesn't have parts available at your local FLAPS? Price check: you're probably the only one in your area. Most folks go to FLAPS for oil, or for random parts or tools for their >20 year old cars that they need asap. I wouldn't even buy parts for my 99 MX-5 10AE at FLAPS...because I know they won't have parts that actually fit. It's an e-commerce world now. Get in and stay home (and actually, that's the point!)
+Quote Post
tom.esh
post Sep 10 2022, 06:31 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,083
Region Association: North East States

I recently had Napa tell me to check with a clutch and hydraulic place in town for a throw out bearing for a small block Windsor Ford. Napa is usually pretty good for me. A bit of a disappointment on this one. I have found O'Reilly to be more willing to help with the odd ball stuff.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 10 2022, 10:50 AM
Post #26

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

The moral of the story is supporting the niche vendors that support your cars. Yes, your dollar supports vendors that make your parts and distribute them.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Sep 10 2022, 11:06 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Went to NAPA, AutoZone and O'Reillys this morning. NO 13" wiper blades or VHT SP730 clear caliper paint Have to order. Be in Wed next week. Enough said.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 10 2022, 11:20 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 10 2022, 01:06 PM) *

Went to NAPA, AutoZone and O'Reillys this morning. NO 13" wiper blades or VHT SP730 clear caliper paint Have to order. Be in Wed next week. Enough said.

And they all wonder why they are losing business to Amazon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

If I have to go online to buy wiper blades and rattle can paint, you can be damn sure it won’t be to AutoZone.com

It is very frustrating to try to support local stores but to repeatedly find they are incapable of running a store.

I also extend this to the checkout process. The main purpose of any business is to get the money out of my hand in exchange for goods they have.

Yet, when I just walk in to buy a quart of oil, all the counter staff is too busy to take my money. I end up waiting around endlessly while some fool drives the computer - asking another greater fool if that part looks like what they have on their car and they debate if that will solve the problem.

No one will actually take the money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) as I’m standing there trying to give it to them.

I’ve literally left stock on counters and walked out. If a store can’t be bothered to have staff to man a cash register for sales - hopefully later they can find the manpower to restock those items.

I know . . . Many will say I’m the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) . Maybe - but if you can’t find a way to take a customers money for a straight forward cash sale of oil, washer fluid, and all those other high margin items - they deserve to go out of business because they are the ones transferring it to Amazon which was really my only 2nd choice.

PS - don’t bring up “supply chain” or difficulty getting labor. This has been going on for decades as FLAPS wither away. Agree 2020-2021 has accelerated the trend. However, it was already in progress.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 10 2022, 12:03 PM
Post #29

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 10 2022, 10:20 AM) *
I’ve literally left stock on counters and walked out. If a store can’t be bothered to have staff to man a cash register for sales - hopefully later they can find the manpower to restock those items.

Funny this happened to me yesterday for a frigging fuel filter. ! Couldn't take it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 10 2022, 12:38 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 10 2022, 12:03 PM) *

Funny this happened to me yesterday for a frigging fuel filter. ! Couldn't take it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I've done this at Lowe's and Home Depot too many times to count. Luckily, service at my three regular FLAPS (Napa, O'Reilly, and Autozone) is usually very good despite the lack of knowledge (worst at my Autozone).

I also think computerized inventory may be contributing to prioritizing profit to a point it becomes counter productive. Numerous times I've been told the stores don't have control over their regular stock inventory. Whatever arrives in their shipments is determined by computers. Any item that falls below some minimum volume sales threshold can easily be nixed to free shelf space for better profit makers. What gets lost in the algorithm is the customer frustration of not being able to find what should be a common item and choosing to permanently take their business elsewhere. It isn't just a problem with FLAPS of course. It is the world we live in now.

BTW, we do have an old fashioned hardware store in the middle of downtown with narrow aisles crammed full of stock which is great. They have been successful enough to open two additional locations but the new stores don't have the vibe or experienced staff of the original. Until recently, we had an old fashioned grocery just a few blocks away from the hardware store. Then they move to a new location out of downtown and quickly sold out to a local chain. It's all hipster now. A real shame.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Sep 10 2022, 07:58 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 15,855

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 10 2022, 01:06 PM) *

And they all wonder why they are losing business to Amazon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

If I have to go online to buy wiper blades and rattle can paint, you can be damn sure it won’t be to AutoZone.com

It is very frustrating to try to support local stores but to repeatedly find they are incapable of running a store.

I also extend this to the checkout process. The main purpose of any business is to get the money out of my hand in exchange for goods they have.

Yet, when I just walk in to buy a quart of oil, all the counter staff is too busy to take my money. I end up waiting around endlessly while some fool drives the computer - asking another greater fool if that part looks like what they have on their car and they debate if that will solve the problem.

No one will actually take the money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) as I’m standing there trying to give it to them.

I know . . . Many will say I’m the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) . Maybe - but if you can’t find a way to take a customers money for a straight forward cash sale of oil, washer fluid, and all those other high margin items - they deserve to go out of business because they are the ones transferring it to Amazon which was really my only 2nd choice.

PS - don’t bring up “supply chain” or difficulty getting labor. This has been going on for decades as FLAPS wither away. Agree 2020-2021 has accelerated the trend. However, it was already in progress.

I had a similar experience at the Griot's Garage merchandise tent at the Monterey Historic Races a few weeks ago. The two (2) "cashiers"/"salespeople" acted like I was totally invisible when I was standing right in front of them with some leather care products I wanted to buy in my hands. Completely ignored me to wait on other people who showed up after me! I left the stuff on the cash register and walked away. Needless to say, I will never buy any Griot's products again, online or otherwise.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Sep 10 2022, 09:15 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Here in SoCal, the PepBoys* auto parts have been bought out by Advanced Auto retail chain...*tire & brake centers remain as PepBoys tho. Little by little my fave things to buy are not anywhere to be seen at FLAPS; but I did score an Odyssey battery for a proj car at a good price at Autozone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:53 PM