Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Florida 914 Community, Nothing To Do Down Here
Ansbacher
post Sep 15 2022, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,589

It's hard to believe that there is not a more vibrant 914 community here in the Sunshine State. No, we don't have the best roads to exercise a 914 but we do have incredible driving weather for six months out of the year. So why is it so dull down here as far as 914 events? Actually, they are non-existent. It is my suspicion that there are a lot more 914s in Florida than what appears on 914World. What can be done to get them out of the woodwork and get some events planned and executed? Hey, I'm not getting any younger and want to enjoy this car as I did with my 928 and 356 of the past.

Ansbacher
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Sep 15 2022, 06:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 15 2022, 07:17 PM) *

It's hard to believe that there is not a more vibrant 914 community here in the Sunshine State. No, we don't have the best roads to exercise a 914 but we do have incredible driving weather for six months out of the year. So why is it so dull down here as far as 914 events? Actually, they are non-existent. It is my suspicion that there are a lot more 914s in Florida than what appears on 914World. What can be done to get them out of the woodwork and get some events planned and executed? Hey, I'm not getting any younger and want to enjoy this car as I did with my 928 and 356 of the past.

Ansbacher

Next time I'm in Tampa (my sister lives there) I'll look you up. A bit far to drive mine down, but at least you can show yours off...
+Quote Post
seanpaulmc
post Sep 15 2022, 06:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,649
Region Association: South East States

I live in Orlando and am working on saving a 914.
I grew up in Tampa.
In the last 20 years I’ve seen maybe 5 teeners in the wild.

At the time of writing this I’m at Okteenerfest in TN.

I couldn’t agree with you more.

Sean
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
siverson
post Sep 15 2022, 06:56 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

Have you tried to organize an event?
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Sep 15 2022, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

I’m wanting/trying to move back there soo bad!

I know there’s a member or two around the Panama City area.. so yea I would search “Florida” and see who’s posted what, then reach out to them. Also, maybe reach out to the local chapter of the PCOA - if they don’t have a list of 914s you could at least join them @ get together and drives. I plan on at least doing some trips down that way at some point soon, and would love to meet up with other teeners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Good luck!

+Quote Post
carr914
post Sep 16 2022, 03:50 AM
Post #6

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

We used to be pretty active and got together once a month or so.

But, URY914 moved, ThePaintedMan is about to, I don't have a 914 anymore etc
+Quote Post
racer914
post Sep 16 2022, 02:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 23,513

I'm in North Central Florida (Keystone Heights). Mine ('74) is in the conversion process...hoping for paint before year end. My son lives in St. Johns and his is in about the same stage. There are several in Jacksonville too.
I have other P cars though so always up for a gathering
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Sep 16 2022, 03:08 PM
Post #8

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611

Check it out, this is my smiley. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif) I earned it by having 914 gatherings at my home in Huntington Beach. We used to gather about once a month back then. TC and the boys where having breakfast about once a month back then also. But now I live in what's called central Florida. There is nothing central about where I live and it's not close to anything. We have friends in both ends of the state. Over 8 hours in both directions. All that said, it would be an honor to host 914 events here at the New Team NARP Headquarters.
I thought about gathering twice a year. In the spring and the fall.
Fallis almost here and I don't think we have the time to plan an event.
The Mid Florida Mid Spring Madness.
Mid, Mid, Mid, Mad!!!!!
My Ribs are BADASS.
There it is, let's try it and see what happens.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Sep 17 2022, 06:30 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 21,981

There are a few of us here in NE Florida that get together. We had about 9 at a PCA event maybe a year ago. We want to try and do something when the weather cools down. Racer914 has offered to show us his shop in Keystone so we just talked about making that a destination if he’s still down.

We also do a drive every New Year’s Day. It’s air cooled so we get 911s and a few other Porsche models that join.

Here is a link to our Facebook page
https://m.facebook.com/groups/173500443282124/
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Sep 17 2022, 07:19 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 15 2022, 04:17 PM) *

Ansbacher

Typically they bus the 914s to Martha’s Vineyard when they want to have a party
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 17 2022, 08:05 AM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

You all need to take Joe up on his offer. I have been to one of his events in Hunting. He is an awesome host! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/party.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)
+Quote Post
lesorubcheek
post Sep 17 2022, 08:54 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 25,463

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Sep 17 2022, 08:19 AM) *

Typically they bus the 914s to Martha’s Vineyard when they want to have a party

Didn't they try that once, but they were all towed away before the charcoal was even lit?
+Quote Post
sholman5
post Sep 18 2022, 12:42 PM
Post #13

Kraut burner

Member No.: 20,391

I get together with James and 2 others in Jax. We have 5 914 owners in the Daytona Beach area. I've met Joe at a few KKs in New Smyrna.
I'm always up for a drive and yes the roads are not the greatest, but for me it doesn't matter as long as I'm driving my 914. It's hard when people are 2 or 3 hours away. We need to find a central location that would work for all.
+Quote Post
MCShack
post Sep 18 2022, 03:26 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 25,305
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I know in Pensacola area it seems to be the "Air-Cooled" Car Clubs that include VWs and the like that have the most active members.
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Sep 18 2022, 07:38 PM
Post #15

Oil Cooled heart

Member No.: 11,875

There are terrific roads in Florida, you guys in Jax, Orlando and Tampa are surrounded by them! For those of us from Miami to WPB, it sucks. But there are events to participate in, FOG for us 356 owners, and recently an inexpensive fun rally in February called the Gator Crawl. Mainly old 911s with other vintage stuff included, routes start in the Mt. Dora area. Daily runs around 150 miles +/-, about 450 miles total over three days. Mike Dileo brought his '72 914 a couple of years ago, let's see some more! Will need to get 2023 details but stay tuned.

Alternatively, picking a start spot in the general area north of Orlando to meet works for me, December to March preferred. Loosely organized is fine, although hotels pre-booked helps. So many great county roads, open Google maps and wander... you'll be surprised.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Sep 18 2022, 07:49 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Sep 16 2022, 01:08 PM) *

Check it out, this is my smiley. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif) I earned it by having 914 gatherings at my home in Huntington Beach. We used to gather about once a month back then. TC and the boys where having breakfast about once a month back then also. But now I live in what's called central Florida. There is nothing central about where I live and it's not close to anything. We have friends in both ends of the state. Over 8 hours in both directions. All that said, it would be an honor to host 914 events here at the New Team NARP Headquarters.
I thought about gathering twice a year. In the spring and the fall.
Fallis almost here and I don't think we have the time to plan an event.
The Mid Florida Mid Spring Madness.
Mid, Mid, Mid, Mad!!!!!
My Ribs are BADASS.
There it is, let's try it and see what happens.

Attached Image

This is tempting me to move to Florida just for Joe’s bbq’s.

+Quote Post
windforfun
post Sep 18 2022, 08:17 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

A pic of the barbeque grill? Come on, how about a pic of your car?
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Sep 19 2022, 03:01 AM
Post #18

Thanks goes out to Rick and Ravi. I have had people from all over the world. The farthest one was Ming from Singapore, from stateside Ed and Jen Morrow from Connecticut and 1 visitor from Florida. All to my house in Huntington Beach Ca. (the old Team NARP Headquarters). That's where I perfected my Ribs. At the last gathering there Mike Wills @quickmove asked me how I got my Ribs so tender and juicy. I told him it's all I the time. It can take more than 6.5 hours at 225°. I have fed TC at an event here years ago.
The cars, I have 2 914's. NICE 914 a car of the month winner and a race car project currently called AR 14. I am also the proud owner of a Cayman GT4.
The race car.

Attached Image

She weighs in at just over 1600 pounds.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Sep 19 2022, 03:38 AM
Post #19

My other car is a Porsche.

Attached Image

At the Avenues in Redondo Beach Ca where I learned to body surf as a child.
I live on a lake and my back yard is an Acer of grass so not only is there camping but we have 3 kinds of Bass. The Bigmouth go well over 20" and I have no idea how big the catfish get.
At the old Headquarters I had 86 people, here I have had over 100 3 times.
I am not intimidated by feeding a crowd. I will make my events worth your drive with flavor alone. My Ribs are served like I like my women, "Hot and Naked" . I use only Applewood for smoking, no marinade, rub or seasoning. I cook them until they have at least 1/4 inch pull back of meat from the bones. At that point the bones will pull out.

They call this Central Florida but being only 30 miles from the cost I'm not central to anything.
43727 Bear Lake Blvd
DeLand
Google it.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Sep 19 2022, 10:18 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 17,589

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Sep 18 2022, 09:38 PM) *

There are terrific roads in Florida, you guys in Jax, Orlando and Tampa are surrounded by them! For those of us from Miami to WPB, it sucks. But there are events to participate in, FOG for us 356 owners, and recently an inexpensive fun rally in February called the Gator Crawl. Mainly old 911s with other vintage stuff included, routes start in the Mt. Dora area. Daily runs around 150 miles +/-, about 450 miles total over three days. Mike Dileo brought his '72 914 a couple of years ago, let's see some more! Will need to get 2023 details but stay tuned.

There are a few nice roads in Florida, I'll give you that, but when you live in Pinellas County and have to weather an hour and a half drive to just get out of the clutter and red lights, it's just not at all convenient or enjoyable.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:11 PM