Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Put seatbelts in your classic cars!, And use them!
ClayPerrine
post Sep 20 2022, 11:07 AM
Post #21

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 20 2022, 07:50 AM) *

Even more importantly than myself, I got it to be automatic for my kids.
I sometimes drive the high school kids at the boarding school where I work. Often they will not buckle up. Some of them are genuinely surprised when I tell them we can’t go until they do. Occasionally, one will have earbuds in and pretend they can’t hear me. We just sit until they realize I’m serious.

You can wear your seatbelt or you can walk. Your choice.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Sep 20 2022, 04:55 PM
Post #22

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 19 2022, 09:38 AM) *

Yikes.

Thanks for posting.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Also, make them shoulder harnesses if at all possible. If anyone says they aren’t cool, we’ll I cannot say what I wish for them. Life is short as it is. Thanks for posting this.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Sep 20 2022, 05:09 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231

volvo invented and developed the inertia reel seat belt.

one of the most brilliant inventions for cars ever.

safe and superbly convenient allowing movement to reach ash trays and cigarette lighters or to lean forward and wipe condensation from the screen.

having invented it - they then said to all car companies - we make our patented idea - free. thats right. FREE. you can all use it for zero licensing fees.

what a company! what a country. though i stop short at endorsing ABBA as music to listen to.

the main problem you guys have is your constitution i believe? - which inhibits making wearing seatbelts compulsory? or the wearing of helmets on motorcycles?

i guess there is two ways to look at that.
the darwinian principle of genetic survival by the fittest.
or the provision by a benevolent society for the continued survival of a diminished species.

i live in a country where the law of the land ensures the mentally unfit continue to pass on their inherited traits by enforcing seatbelt wear and motorcycle helmets with heavy fines. they have been doing it here since i was a child. eventually i think we may pay for that!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Sep 20 2022, 08:52 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

I spent 30 years in law enforcement, with the last 5 years in command of the traffic unit, investigating fatal car accidents. I can't tell you the number of deaths that could have been prevented, had seatbelts been used by the deceased person(s). In fact I myself was saved from certain death by a seat belt in a helicopter crash. I swaear by them and wish everyone would wear one....always.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 26 2022, 06:47 AM
Post #25

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 19 2022, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 19 2022, 10:17 AM) *

I can't imagine not wearing a seatbelt.

The Jay Leno GT video made me cringe.

I finally just saw that video and understood this comment. Randy's out there flogging the car and Leno declares he "doesn't need this" i.e. the harness.

Its his show and he can do what he wants, but I'm surprised his insurance does not demand that he is strapped in.

Zach
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Sep 27 2022, 08:28 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My 356 came with an aftermarket shoulder belt set up that works well and gets used. A couple of long time 356rs from the PNW were involved in a bad accident in 2021 near Bend OR during an annual trip. Lap belts only. The injuries were much more severe than they would have been had better belts been in the cars. I'll be sending my 914 belts to get them refurbished this winter.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 27 2022, 08:37 AM
Post #27

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had Jared modify the lap belt mounting points on my 67-912. OEM places them around your abdomen. We moved the mounts so it would cross over my hips (the current location on modern cars). The shoulder belt comes in low from the inside rear quarter. That makes it a collar bone crusher so I will do something to have it correctly placed. Unfortunately the B pillar on early cars is really thin and light. Later cars were reinforced for the shoulder belt to mount on the b pillar.
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Sep 27 2022, 02:42 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 20 2022, 04:48 AM) *

As a child growing up in the 60s and 70s, my father was adamant about us wearing seat belts. During those times there was no mandatory seat belt laws, and most adults didn't wear them. He was so adamant about seat belt usage he put them in all of his antique cars, including the 1927 Chevy touring car, and the 1931 Chevy sedan he owned.

As an adult, I am glad he did that. The habit of hooking the seat belt is so ingrained in me that I hook it even when backing the car out of the garage to wash it.

And that probably saved my life when I was hit in Betty's 914.

Use your seat belts. The life you save may be your own.

Clay

How is Betty's car anyway? I haven't seen any updates?
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Sep 27 2022, 02:45 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

This may be a weird comment:

There were a few reasons that I targeted the 914 as the car to buy:
1. Pop up headlights
2. "Convertible" type top with a stock "roll bar"
3. Three point seat belts
4. Quirkiness

Two of the four are related to safety.

Just sharing.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 27 2022, 03:09 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Sep 27 2022, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 20 2022, 04:48 AM) *

As a child growing up in the 60s and 70s, my father was adamant about us wearing seat belts. During those times there was no mandatory seat belt laws, and most adults didn't wear them. He was so adamant about seat belt usage he put them in all of his antique cars, including the 1927 Chevy touring car, and the 1931 Chevy sedan he owned.

As an adult, I am glad he did that. The habit of hooking the seat belt is so ingrained in me that I hook it even when backing the car out of the garage to wash it.

And that probably saved my life when I was hit in Betty's 914.

Use your seat belts. The life you save may be your own.

Clay

How is Betty's car anyway? I haven't seen any updates?

Slowly being repaired. It is in the body shop and has been since the wreck. The old adage "There are three things in body shop work, right, fast and cheap, and you can only pick two of them." We chose right and cheap, so they have been pushing it to the side when the get insurance work. Hopefully it will be done soon. Last time I talked to them they were getting ready to paint the underside and the interior/trunks.

+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 28 2022, 09:22 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 7,438

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 19 2022, 07:25 PM) *

That is one of the reason I did not mess with the stock seat belts. I just went with seatbelt planet and was done with it.

+1

Paul
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 28 2022, 09:28 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 7,438

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Sep 20 2022, 07:09 PM) *

having invented it - they then said to all car companies - we make our patented idea - free. thats right. FREE. you can all use it for zero licensing fees.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Banting and Best in Canada discovered insulin, were unable to process enough to take care of all the diabetics and sold the patent to Eli Lilly for...

...one dollar!

Hopefully the seatbelt patent worked out better for the car population as many diabetic patients are currently rationing their expensive insulin today (100 years later).

Paul
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Sep 28 2022, 10:58 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 17,589

And this means installing and using NEW seat belts! My blood boils when I see members selling vintage original seat belts with 50-year-old webbing. Sure, they'll say it is only for display purposes only, but if they are in the car there is the potential for them to be utilized on the road. Seat belts are the one item where the sake of originality goes out the window (no pun intended). Get rid of those old belts! I myself, have been guilty of purchasing old belts, until someone finally took the bone out of my head.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 28 2022, 11:10 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 28 2022, 11:58 AM) *

And this means installing and using NEW seat belts! My blood boils when I see members selling vintage original seat belts with 50-year-old webbing. Sure, they'll say it is only for display purposes only, but if they are in the car there is the potential for them to be utilized on the road. Seat belts are the one item where the sake of originality goes out the window (no pun intended). Get rid of those old belts! I myself, have been guilty of purchasing old belts, until someone finally took the bone out of my head.

Ansbacher

I put new seatbelts into my car from seatbeltplanet. In Betty's car, I put in new belts for a 944. They are the superseded part number for a 914 belt. They fit and were brand new. I think that is part of the reason I am still breathing... new seat belts.

The minimum to do to your belts is to get them re-webbed. Seat belt planet will do it and you can have spiffy colored stripes or colored belts added to look cool as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 11:12 PM