Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is this gap?, And why would it be dripping fluid?
mjsdt914
post Sep 21 2022, 09:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,791
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This gap is at the front of the transmission where it mates with the engine (as seen from below).
Does it have a name?
Am I missing a plug for this hole?
Any ideas why it would be dripping fluid?
Please advise. Thanks!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 21 2022, 09:36 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

can you identify if it's engine oil or transmission oil?
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Sep 21 2022, 09:39 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

I mean, the real problem here is that you have too few leaks by the look of it. Get some road dust and half a quart of oil smeared across there and you won't even notice something like that.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mjsdt914
post Sep 21 2022, 09:42 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Sep 21 2022, 09:39 AM) *

I mean, the real problem here is that you have too few leaks by the look of it. Get some road dust and half a quart of oil smeared across there and you won't even notice something like that.

So true! My mistake, of course, is cleaning the undercarriage ))
+Quote Post
mjsdt914
post Sep 21 2022, 09:44 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 21 2022, 09:36 AM) *

can you identify if it's engine oil or transmission oil?

Both engine/transmission oil recently changed so both appear very similar. I am certain it is not coolant fluid )
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Sep 21 2022, 09:48 AM
Post #6

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mjsdt914 @ Sep 21 2022, 08:24 AM) *

This gap is at the front of the transmission where it mates with the engine (as seen from below). Does it have a name? Any ideas why it would be dripping fluid? Please advise. Thanks!

Flywheel seal, or transmission main shaft seal, transmission oil has a very distinctive smell, open the transmission fill, put in your finger, bring out a dab of oil, smell that, use a different finger for the leak, smell that, different or the same, you have your answer.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 21 2022, 10:10 AM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Either way, you have a leak that will require removing the transmission. At a minimum. I would bite the bullet and remove the drivetrain. Beware the onset of project creep.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 21 2022, 12:34 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 21 2022, 09:48 AM) *

This gap is at the front of the transmission where it mates with the engine (as seen from below). Does it have a name? Any ideas why it would be dripping fluid? Please advise. Thanks!

Flywheel seal, or transmission main shaft seal, transmission oil has a very distinctive smell, open the transmission fill, put in your finger, bring out a dab of oil, smell that, use a different finger for the leak, smell that, different or the same, you have your answer.

Exactly, tranny oil is stinky, engine oil not so

How bad is she leaking?
+Quote Post
davep
post Sep 21 2022, 01:01 PM
Post #9

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Your friction disc can be ruined by oil, not to mention the potential for slipping. Did you use synthetic oil during the changes? That could had led to the problem.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Sep 21 2022, 03:15 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

How much is it dripping, I'm not sure i would do anything yet. Mark
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 21 2022, 04:06 PM
Post #11

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

sometimes its hard to smell the trans fluid. You can add a dye, get it from autozone or other favorite local parts place along with the UV light . I had a similar issue not long ago, was not sure as i had just put the transmission back in after putting a new rear main seal in the engine, and after a couple months noticed a small drip here so i put dye in the trans fluid(suspecting this due to just putting new RMS on motor) . if you suspect oil, put the dye in the motor oil and run it for a few hours and recheck with UV light.
- as said by others, if the oil is leaking from the rear main seal it will get on the clutch and make a mess of it - when you pull it you will be able to see if it is leaking from the trans or the motor. - or both - thats possible too.

What is the history of the motor? how many miles, how long have you owned it?

the hole is there so that you can see the flywheel for timing, dont plug it.

if the car sits for long long periods or sat for years, the seals will dry , deteriorate and leak.

You can pull the transmission and leave the motor in, but i have found its easier to just pull them all as one unit.

If you have not done this, there are good how-to instructions on Pelican Parts website, with pictures.

Good luck

Phil

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Sep 21 2022, 05:31 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(mjsdt914 @ Sep 21 2022, 07:24 AM) *

This gap is at the front of the transmission where it mates with the engine (as seen from below).
Does it have a name?
Please advise. Thanks!

Are you actually getting a drip of fluid on the ground or are you just observing the blackness on the case below the hole? If there is nothing on the ground under the car I wouldn't worry about it, above that hole is your clutch so there will always be some level of black dust existing there.

If you are getting liquid on the ground then its either the trany or engine seal there.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Sep 21 2022, 08:33 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 21 2022, 05:06 PM) *

sometimes its hard to smell the trans fluid. You can add a dye, get it from autozone or other favorite local parts place along with the UV light . I had a similar issue not long ago, was not sure as i had just put the transmission back in after putting a new rear main seal in the engine, and after a couple months noticed a small drip here so i put dye in the trans fluid(suspecting this due to just putting new RMS on motor) . if you suspect oil, put the dye in the motor oil and run it for a few hours and recheck with UV light.
- as said by others, if the oil is leaking from the rear main seal it will get on the clutch and make a mess of it - when you pull it you will be able to see if it is leaking from the trans or the motor. - or both - thats possible too.

if the car sits for long long periods or sat for years, the seals will dry , deteriorate and leak.

You can pull the transmission and leave the motor in, but i have found its easier to just pull them all as one unit.

If you have not done this, there are good how-to instructions on Pelican Parts website, with pictures.

Good luck

Phil

"the hole is there so that you can see the flywheel for timing, dont plug it."

I've never heard of a timing window on the bottom of the engine. Just what timing mark on the flywheel do you use?
I believe it is for ventilation and a liquid drain, as you are seeing with engine/trans oil.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 22 2022, 03:01 AM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

There is often a TDC mark on the edge of the flywheel. It shows TDC for #1 and #3 through the notch on top of the transmission bellhousing, and TDC #2 and #4 through the notch on the bottom of the bellhousing shown here.

I don't know if that was its intended use, though.

--DD
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Sep 22 2022, 10:39 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Sep 21 2022, 06:33 PM) *

"the hole is there so that you can see the flywheel for timing, dont plug it."

I've never heard of a timing window on the bottom of the engine. Just what timing mark on the flywheel do you use?
I believe it is for ventilation and a liquid drain, as you are seeing with engine/trans oil.

Sure makes valve adjustments a lot easier having a window there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mjsdt914
post Sep 22 2022, 01:29 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 21 2022, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 21 2022, 09:48 AM) *

Exactly, tranny oil is stinky, engine oil not so

How bad is she leaking?

Not 'leaking' nor leaving a puddle ... more like 'dripping' a few drops ... noticed after I started to clean the undercarriage.
+Quote Post
mjsdt914
post Sep 22 2022, 01:32 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 21 2022, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(mjsdt914 @ Sep 21 2022, 07:24 AM) *

Does it have a name?
Please advise. Thanks!

Are you actually getting a drip of fluid on the ground or are you just observing the blackness on the case below the hole? If there is nothing on the ground under the car I wouldn't worry about it, above that hole is your clutch so there will always be some level of black dust existing there.

If you are getting liquid on the ground then its either the trany or engine seal there.

Not 'leaking' nor leaving a puddle ... more like 'dripping' a few drops ... noticed after I started to clean the undercarriage ... not terribly concerned yet as it may be left over gunk )
+Quote Post
mjsdt914
post Sep 22 2022, 01:44 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 21 2022, 04:06 PM) *

Good luck

Phil

Motor rebuild ten years ago with about 15K on it now. Was stored for a few years with monthly starts and short drives. Not 'leaking' nor leaving a puddle ... more like 'dripping' a few drops ... noticed after I started to clean the undercarriage. After wiping everything off again, let it sit for a few hours...no drips. Started and idled for 30 minutes, then let sit over night...no drips. Its raining today (we don't go out in the rain). Tomorrow is a slow speed tour of the neighborhood (don't want any blow back) followed by another overnight sit to see what, if anything drips. Thanks for your input!
+Quote Post
Van B
post Sep 22 2022, 08:35 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

100%, without a doubt, no debate, you have a leak on your rear main seal. A common wear item. If it was the transmission seal, you would see the fluid follow the path of the bell housing, not on the engine case.
+Quote Post
mjsdt914
post Sep 23 2022, 09:54 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(Van B @ Sep 22 2022, 08:35 PM) *

100%, without a doubt, no debate, you have a leak on your rear main seal. A common wear item. If it was the transmission seal, you would see the fluid follow the path of the bell housing, not on the engine case.

Sounds like the voice of experience (which I lack regarding this issue). Since I have only small drips, any thoughts on trying a rear main sealer (thinking Blue Devil)? Please advise. Thanks!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:12 AM