Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering wheel, Ground wire
NARP74
post Sep 22 2022, 09:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I assume there is supposed to be a ground wire in the steering wheel column and power for the horn. Mine does not have the ground wire. I suspect it was a hastily reassembled job. I have a temp solution but what is the way they used to be from the factory? How much disassembly and fishing do I have to do to get it in there? I have a Momo steering wheel, not stock.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Sep 22 2022, 11:25 AM
Post #2

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 22 2022, 08:08 AM) *

I assume there is supposed to be a ground wire in the steering wheel column and power for the horn. Mine does not have the ground wire. I suspect it was a hastily reassembled job. I have a temp solution but what is the way they used to be from the factory? How much disassembly and fishing do I have to do to get it in there? I have a Momo steering wheel, not stock.

The Momo wheel complicates things, early factory has a plunger that grounds the horn making a circuit, later version has a grounding ring that connects to the batwing with a small connector.
My first 914 had an aftermarket steering wheel the horn was activated by a button on the dash. Not my solution.
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Sep 22 2022, 12:08 PM
Post #3

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

On my Momo installations I have a ground wire with a spade at the back of the button and about a 2" section of stripped wire at the other end sandwiched between the adapter base and the washer below the nut holding the adapter on. The other wire comes from the stock contact ring that touches the finger on the turn signal switch assembly. If you're missing the contact ring it likely won't work at all.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Sep 22 2022, 12:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

You need this ground ring for the Momo steering wheel:

https://ltbautosports.com/momo-horn-button-retaining-ring/

It is captured in between the Mom wheel and adapter. The hot wire from the horn goes to one terminal on the horn button, and a wire goes from the other terminal on the horn button to this ground ring.

Otherwise you can ground the wire to some other place within the adapter.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Sep 22 2022, 01:00 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 22 2022, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Sep 22 2022, 08:08 AM) *

The Momo wheel complicates things, early factory has a plunger that grounds the horn making a circuit, later version has a grounding ring that connects to the batwing with a small connector.
My first 914 had an aftermarket steering wheel the horn was activated by a button on the dash. Not my solution.

That explains some things, thanks.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Sep 22 2022, 01:01 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 22 2022, 12:51 PM) *

It is captured in between the Mom wheel and adapter. The hot wire from the horn goes to one terminal on the horn button, and a wire goes from the other terminal on the horn button to this ground ring.

Attached Image

This should do the trick, thanks for the tip.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Sep 22 2022, 01:02 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Sep 22 2022, 12:08 PM) *

On my Momo installations I have a ground wire with a spade at the back of the button and about a 2" section of stripped wire at the other end sandwiched between the adapter base and the washer below the nut holding the adapter on. The other wire comes from the stock contact ring that touches the finger on the turn signal switch assembly. If you're missing the contact ring it likely won't work at all.

This is similar to what the PO had done.
+Quote Post
kkid
post Oct 1 2022, 09:50 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,483
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 22 2022, 11:51 AM) *

Attached Image

I got this ring that fits behind my Momo Prototipo. However this doesn't seem to work on the Momo die cast type metal adapter that fits perfectly onto my 914 steering shaft splines.

Is there any way how I can make it work????

+Quote Post
burlybryan
post Oct 1 2022, 11:02 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 24,311
Region Association: None

I got this ring that fits behind my Momo Prototipo. However this doesn't seem to work on the Momo die cast type metal adapter that fits perfectly onto my 914 steering shaft splines.

Is there any way how I can make it work????
[/quote]

Exactly my situation too - cast momo hub except that I also have the JWest eccentric adapter. The tang on the momo grounding ring promptly snapped off. I did as sportlicherFahrer described and ran a small wire from the ground on the back of the momo horn and sandwiched the stripped end between the hub and the adapter. You just need to ground the wire somewhere onto the hub.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:31 AM