Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No more annoying crack, windshield refreshed, Appreciation to Ian Karr for his windshield replacement vid
nditiz1
post Sep 28 2022, 07:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So I just got done replacing my windshield. I had a driver side vertical crack since I bought the car. It wasn't in my direct line of view, but still annoying all the same. A local one came up for sale (Pilkington) so I decided "what better time than now." I placed an order with 914rubber during the 9/14 sale. Unfortunately they were OOS for the trim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Anyway I rewatched @iankarr 's vid on doing the install. I already had a seal cutting kit from a friend's FJ cruiser pop out window job so no extra tools were needed. I got the old glass out with only adding two additional cracks. I took some time cleaning out the old butyl, this was probably the worst part. The parts had already arrived from 914rubber. I forgot however to purchase butyl primer. The one in Ian's vid is no longer in stock on Amazon. I should have ordered the 3M one, but im an impatient man when it comes to new parts, I ended up painting the valley with hi temp grill spray paint, good enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Got all the new clips installed and mocked up the new glass. Marked my lines with tape as instructed. Next, applied the 3/8 butyl from 914rubber. Now, this is where I should have used some help. I thought I would be able to reposition the glass to line it up with my tape lines. Well the first placement was very close, but I wanted to line it up exactly. Well as you know butyl is forgiving in flex, but not forgiving when trying to adjust. So the piece did not really want to move and I was afraid of cracking it, well good enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif) I pulled it out into the sun which heated the butyl and allowed me to make micro adjustments of the glass. Turned out nice. I was going to re use the trim because well my car looks like a pile, but also cool at the same time. The trim however looked like spaghetti with the amount of curves it had and this was before I removed it. Well with 914rubber still OOS on the trim I looked for another viable option. This is an important take away. The kit I bought from eUROPARTS came with the trim and connection pieces like 914rubber, but also comes with the clips and spacers. I think I spent close to $10 extra for 4 spacers and the clips. Take away two, if you are going to do this you don't need the spacers. Anything you can shove in equally at the bottom will suffice even the extra piece of the glass to dash rubber seal you are to install. Plus, the other kit has them.

On the subject of that rubber seal. It would have been nice for the part that 914rubber engineered to be a closer match to the OEM. What I mean by that is the original had a better grip as it had metal inside much like 914rubbers engine bay to trunk trim piece. This one that they sell is all rubber and more so just barely holds onto the lip.

I digress, back to the waiting game for new trim to be delivered. I did take it for a few drives with no trim to ensure the glass wouldn't magically fly away. It held in place well and I was convinced the butyl is doing what it was meant to do, bond. The new trim came in today and I was able to get it installed without creating a lasagna sheet. Now my only problem is that these two pieces are really clean and crisp and the rest of the car looks distraught. Oh well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks to Ian, 914rubber, and eUROPARTS, as well as others who made threads in the past about doing this job.

P.S. - also installed undercarriage air flaps and 140/160 progressive springs in the rear (914rubber)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FL000
post Sep 28 2022, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,076
Region Association: Southern California

Looking sharp! I used Ian’s video last month for my window replacement, and found it very helpful. Now we just need to see his drone video from Red Rocks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
scottsilvertt
post Sep 28 2022, 08:54 PM
Post #3

scottsilvertt

Member No.: 6,019
Region Association: South East States

Where did you get your glass from? I just broke mine, second time in 18 years.

I did a search with pilkington, for 914, and came up empty.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Sep 28 2022, 09:24 PM
Post #4

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Nice job! Glad the video was helpful. My pesky work life keeps getting in the way of editing new videos (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 28 2022, 09:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,763

QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Sep 28 2022, 07:54 PM) *

Where did you get your glass from? I just broke mine, second time in 18 years.

I did a search with pilkington, for 914, and came up empty.

I got mine from a local merchant. He had it for over 10 years. I read there are several vendors that can get it now.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 30 2022, 11:15 AM
Post #6

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nicely done!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I replaced the windshield by myself on my 914. It's actually easier than most think.

The trim is the tricky part, looks like you nailed it!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Sep 30 2022, 03:46 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

Anyone install a new windshield from Porsche?
I can get one from my local dealer for about $700.
Not that I have tried hard but I have not found a local source for an aftermarket glass.

I installed the windshield currently in the car, I made some wooden blocks and taped them to the windshield frame so the glass could only fit in centered to avoid needing any adjustments.

But I broke the windshield before I installed it and need to replace it.
The mirror on the windshield that came with my car had the base sanded flat and superglued to the windshield. I set the windshield flat and poured some nail polish remover around the mirror base to soften the superglue. After a few minutes I foolishly used a razor blade to scrape away the superglue around the mirror base and ended up sliding the blade under 1 side that was loose but some of the glue was still well stuck and pulled a large divot of glass out of the windshield.
This was 4 days before I was taking the car to it's first event and so I just cleaned everything up and glued the divot back to the windshield and then superglued the mirror back on.
It works but I want to replace it and wonder if the extra cost of a Porsche windshield is worth it.

Jim

+Quote Post
SA-914
post Sep 30 2022, 04:10 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,566
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've gotten 2 windshield from

https://914werke.com/shop

He's got a network of Mygrant glass warehouses, and I was able to get 2 glasses 4 miles from my house....
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Sep 30 2022, 06:10 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 24,893

Nice!

I decided to tackle replacing my windshield recently as well.

I had a road chip in my glass and needed to tackle it before it got worse (and it was extremely annoying to look at - drivers's side). I'll create a separate post about my process and outcome. I took a different path, but was also pleased with my results.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Sep 30 2022, 06:16 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

Annoying crackAttached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:55 AM