Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to empty gas tank ro replace fuel pump, pump is under gas tank...maybe pump out from top?
second wind
post Sep 29 2022, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

Hey gang...replacing fuel pump mounted next to steering rack....how can I empty the gas tank before I start the job? From the bottom doesn't work for me...
Thank you very much!
gg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 29 2022, 02:48 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

usually that fuel pump can be replaced from underneath using the large hole in the chassis. without draining or pulling the tank...

if draining the tank... usually done from pulling a hose underneath... through the same 6 inch hole and into a pan or can...

pumping... sounds like a lot of extra work
suppose it could be done though...
if thats your need.
its just not the direct method
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 29 2022, 02:51 PM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

First buy a new pump.

Then get some wire, a couple of alligator clips, and a long section of hose to fit both sides of the pump

Put the hose on the pump. Put the hose from the suction side of the pump in the tank. Put the hose from the discharge side of the pump into the container for the gas. Hook one end of the wires to the power connections on the pump. Put the alligator clips on the other end of the wires. Hook the alligator clips to the battery.

Now wait until the pump empties the tank.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 29 2022, 03:09 PM
Post #4

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I always siphon the gas from the tank into jerry cans, going from the top of the tank. I have big hands and that little hole under the car is nothing but pain for me.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 29 2022, 03:10 PM
Post #5

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435

But, if you have the front bulkhead cutoff, just clamp the fuel line shut and replace the pump without draining the tank.

Zach
+Quote Post
second wind
post Sep 29 2022, 03:36 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 29 2022, 02:10 PM) *

But, if you have the front bulkhead cutoff, just clamp the fuel line shut and replace the pump without draining the tank.

Zach

I'm liking the clamp the fuel lines shut idea a lot...maybe find a cork or rubber plug to stuff into the end of the line. Thanks:)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Sep 29 2022, 03:51 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

I have used a HF battery powered transfer pump. Pumping the gas into cans sitting in the front trunk.
You have to take off the tank inlet to fit the pump down in there.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 29 2022, 04:13 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Flaps, HF, etc sell fuel line clamps. Usually under $10 for a set.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Sep 29 2022, 04:17 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

If you have two sets of needle nose Vice Grips there's an easy way...
Get some fuel lines and essentially cover both sides of the needle nose with the fuel line (like an insulator)--you can then use those to clamp the lines shut on both sides of the fuel pump. It might drip a little, but it works really well and avoids all that draining/siphoning and when you get things back together you're able to test and be done with the whole thing quickly.
+Quote Post
second wind
post Sep 29 2022, 06:10 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 29 2022, 03:17 PM) *

Get some fuel lines and essentially cover both sides of the needle nose with the fuel line (like an insulator)--you can then use those to clamp the lines shut on both sides of the fuel pump. It might drip a little, but it works really well and avoids all that draining/siphoning and when you get things back together you're able to test and be done with the whole thing quickly.

I'm really liking this idea!! Gotta' love 914 World....so the fuel line over the needle nose is to protect the live fuel lines, right? This job is getting easier by the minute. Thank you very much!
gg
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 29 2022, 06:20 PM
Post #11

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 29 2022, 03:17 PM) *

You don't even need to do that Eric. I use them directly on the fuel hose. Harbor Freight also sells cheap line clamps ~$9 that will work also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 30 2022, 06:51 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 29 2022, 05:17 PM) *

One minor problem with this...

Gasoline weighs 6Lbs per gallon (0.77Kg/L). So a full 16 gallon fuel tank is going to weigh almost 100 LBS. Pulling an full tank out of that hole in the chassis is WAY harder than pulling a completely empty tank.

You have to buy a new pump anyway. Just use it to get the gas out of the tank first.

Just my $.02

Clay
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 30 2022, 01:45 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2022, 06:51 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 29 2022, 05:17 PM) *

One minor problem with this...

Gasoline weighs 6Lbs per gallon (0.77Kg/L). So a full 16 gallon fuel tank is going to weigh almost 100 LBS. Pulling an full tank out of that hole in the chassis is WAY harder than pulling a completely empty tank.

You have to buy a new pump anyway. Just use it to get the gas out of the tank first.

Just my $.02

Clay

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Pulling a tank full of gas is not an enjoyable task. I always empty first from any of the methods previously described. I hate to admit, but I have siphoned into a hose in the past with mixed success
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Sep 30 2022, 02:16 PM
Post #14

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Sep 29 2022, 02:51 PM) *

I have used a HF battery powered transfer pump. Pumping the gas into cans sitting in the front trunk.

Attached Image

Agreed. This is what I have done in the past and it works well. Clay's method sounds like it would work well also, just a bit more work. Bottom line, using something to pump the gas out works best for me.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 1 2022, 06:45 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(fiacra @ Sep 30 2022, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Sep 29 2022, 02:51 PM) *

Attached Image

Agreed. This is what I have done in the past and it works well. Clay's method sounds like it would work well also, just a bit more work. Bottom line, using something to pump the gas out works best for me.

I take the transfer pump setup when traveling long distances with the 914 on the trailer. It has two purposes. If the pump in my 914 fails, the one in the transfer pump setup is the same as the one in the car, so I can swap them. The second reason is that I keep the 914 tank full while it is on the trailer. If we get in the middle of nowhere and the low fuel light comes on, I can always transfer the gas from the 914 to the tow vehicle. The pump, hoses and wires don't take up much space, and it cheap insurance.

Clay

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:05 AM