Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How to empty gas tank ro replace fuel pump, pump is under gas tank...maybe pump out from top?
second wind
post Sep 29 2022, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

Hey gang...replacing fuel pump mounted next to steering rack....how can I empty the gas tank before I start the job? From the bottom doesn't work for me...
Thank you very much!
gg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
eric9144
post Sep 29 2022, 04:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

If you have two sets of needle nose Vice Grips there's an easy way...
Get some fuel lines and essentially cover both sides of the needle nose with the fuel line (like an insulator)--you can then use those to clamp the lines shut on both sides of the fuel pump. It might drip a little, but it works really well and avoids all that draining/siphoning and when you get things back together you're able to test and be done with the whole thing quickly.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 30 2022, 06:51 AM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 29 2022, 05:17 PM) *

Get some fuel lines and essentially cover both sides of the needle nose with the fuel line (like an insulator)--you can then use those to clamp the lines shut on both sides of the fuel pump. It might drip a little, but it works really well and avoids all that draining/siphoning and when you get things back together you're able to test and be done with the whole thing quickly.

One minor problem with this...

Gasoline weighs 6Lbs per gallon (0.77Kg/L). So a full 16 gallon fuel tank is going to weigh almost 100 LBS. Pulling an full tank out of that hole in the chassis is WAY harder than pulling a completely empty tank.

You have to buy a new pump anyway. Just use it to get the gas out of the tank first.

Just my $.02

Clay
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 30 2022, 01:45 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2022, 06:51 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 29 2022, 05:17 PM) *

One minor problem with this...

Gasoline weighs 6Lbs per gallon (0.77Kg/L). So a full 16 gallon fuel tank is going to weigh almost 100 LBS. Pulling an full tank out of that hole in the chassis is WAY harder than pulling a completely empty tank.

You have to buy a new pump anyway. Just use it to get the gas out of the tank first.

Just my $.02

Clay

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Pulling a tank full of gas is not an enjoyable task. I always empty first from any of the methods previously described. I hate to admit, but I have siphoned into a hose in the past with mixed success
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:15 AM