Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> what were they thinking, transmission issue never seen
doobie123
post Oct 4 2022, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,683
Region Association: Southwest Region

hi ya'll
I'm working on a 1975 914, 1.8, 5 Spd
it needs a clutch so I removed the engine and trans so I could give them both a bath and service the engine bay too.
while cleaning the trans I discovered what you see in the attached photos. on top of a big blob of silicone caulk was a smaller sized but no less of a blob of JB weld. underneath that was what is shown in the pic of what looks like a washer and a brass disc. they are also spinning in that hole
the location of this "fix" is at he very back of the trans where the trans bolts to a cross brace which bolts to the the frame, just above the speedo drive in the center of what looks like a cover separate but bolted to the trans case. it was obvious it was put there to stop a leak as that area was covered with dirt and grease.
so my questions are what should that cover look like? what is the correct fix? can that cover just be removed for inspection/repair/replacement without having to dismantle the trans? also, any info anyone has on something like this.
thanks in advance.Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:19 AM