Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Accelerator cable replacement, Dang its stuck any insight? - Problem Solved
913B
post Oct 7 2022, 04:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

So the original came out fine. But the new one is stuck somewhere, I looked at tunnel pics and there isn't a break in the tube, or is there?

I pulled the rear tunnel access panel and pull the shifter out of the way but I don't really see anything

The worst part is I cannot even pull the new one back out, it is stuck somewhere and I don't want to yank or push too hard to F things more.

I thought this was a easy project but dammmmm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 7 2022, 04:22 PM
Post #2

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

When mine stuck;
1 I sprayed the throttle body arm with silicon lube. Have to do this once or twice a year.
2. Once, the cable between the fire wall and the TB had a bend; not a smooth arc. That only happened once.
Of course there are other possible reasons; that was my experience.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 7 2022, 04:24 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

usually gets stuck in the mild curve at the back just in front of the backpad. If you remove the rear access plate and put a large pry bar against the top of the curve of the tube and just flex it a bit while someone is tugging on the cable it will probably come out. Make sure that you lubricate the tube before trying another installation

QUOTE(913B @ Oct 7 2022, 03:04 PM) *

So the original came out fine. But the new one is stuck somewhere, I looked at tunnel pics and there isn't a break in the tube, or is there?

I pulled the rear tunnel access panel and pull the shifter out of the way but I don't really see anything

The worst part is I cannot even pull the new one back out, it is stuck somewhere and I don't want to yank or push too hard to F things more.

I thought this was a easy project but dammmmm

+Quote Post
913B
post Oct 7 2022, 04:46 PM
Post #4

so I am able to pull the new one out with some slight force, the old can go back in and out no problem, the new one seems to hang up at the 2 feet mark,

i feel like i need a solid wire or something to make way, i tried rotating the cable and jiggling it to try to overcome the jam but no go ..........
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 7 2022, 07:37 PM
Post #5

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

what brand cable are you putting in? Are the dimensions the same as the one you took out? Are you making sure to lube the heck out of it? Is the new cable kinked or damaged somewhere?

Zach
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 7 2022, 08:15 PM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(913B @ Oct 7 2022, 03:46 PM) *

so I am able to pull the new one out with some slight force, the old can go back in and out no problem, the new one seems to hang up at the 2 feet mark,

i feel like i need a solid wire or something to make way, i tried rotating the cable and jiggling it to try to overcome the jam but no go ..........

@913b
Buy some piano wire and use it to push thur the tube.
You may have a piece of the plastic sheath in the tube. You may need to flatten the end of the wire to ream out any foreign material.
+Quote Post
913B
post Oct 7 2022, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Its a coffle brand accelerator cable .
I measured the widest part of the white plastic sheath and the cable end and they were pretty darn close to the original. I forgot the exact measurement.
I am thinking of using a borescope or something I can see or maybe some kind of reaming tool to snake it through. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 7 2022, 10:37 PM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

When we 1st started to make accelerator cables, we found that if the sheath was slightly larger it compresses on the cable. This may not be your problem, but tolerances are closer that one might think.
+Quote Post
913B
post Oct 10 2022, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Problem solved.

I ordered an OE Porsche cable today and it slid right in the no problem at all, without even any sort of lube or silicone spray.

If anyone have any problems like me, it might be a defective cable.
Even though both of the new cables measured the same at the start of the plastic portion I am thinking the diameter of the plastic is not consistent throughout and it is catching midway. I did not measure the rest of the plastic sheathing to find the exact defect area.

I will be returning the Coffle brand cable.

+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Oct 11 2022, 04:16 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(913B @ Oct 10 2022, 10:55 PM) *

Problem solved.

I ordered an OE Porsche cable today and it slid right in the no problem at all, without even any sort of lube or silicone spray.

If anyone have any problems like me, it might be a defective cable.
Even though both of the new cables measured the same at the start of the plastic portion I am thinking the diameter of the plastic is not consistent throughout and it is catching midway. I did not measure the rest of the plastic sheathing to find the exact defect area.

I will be returning the Coffle brand cable.

I just installed a "Terry Cable" accelerator cable. It's in now, but I don't recall it even having that plastic sheathing that goes inside the accelerator tube. IIRC, the bare cable just pushed right into the channel. Apparently the plastic sheathing isn't necessary??? maybe I'm just going crazy?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 10:04 PM