Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1974 1.8 L-Jet afm issue
engine247
post Oct 15 2022, 11:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,590
Region Association: Southwest Region

Howdy. I have a new to me 1974 1.8 with the l-jet. Currently I'm sorting out some issues to get it running again. So the fuel pump comes on when the key is on. I realize this is not correct. I checked the afm and the contacts are basically closed at all times. The silver paper-clip arm that should be holding contact arm open isn't doing it. It is like there is not quite enough tension to bring the silver arm all the way back to open the contacts. The contact arm itself appears pretty straight if that matters. The fuel pump does act correctly if the afm is unplugged or the contact is manually opened.

Any ideas on the proper way to address this issue? or have a good reference that I just haven't found yet?

many thanks for any info

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
L-Jet914
post Oct 15 2022, 11:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,080
Region Association: Northern California

The arm that contacts the fuel pump contacts can be adjusted by lightly bending it so it does not contact the fuel pump contacts. Someone had done the same thing to my 74 1.8L AFM to alleviate the vapor lock issue, so when the key was turned on the fuel pump always ran. On the L-Jet engines, the fuel pump is only supposed to run when the engine is cranking and the flap gets moved and contacts the fuel pump contacts. You have to be very gentle adjusting the arm and it will push the contact arm away from the closed position. Bend A until it opens the fuel pump contact C. You will have a very slight gap and when you turn the key on the pump will no longer run with key on. When you start the car, arm A moves away from C allowing C to close the contacts and energize the fuel pump. Do not touch B. @engine247 I do have a video of operation after I returned the arm back to it's factory position located on the 914World Facebook group page. It's the 2nd to last comment. https://m.facebook.com/groups/4020297998314...13750258659334/

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Oct 15 2022, 11:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Does your AFM look like this? (Engine is idling here)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Oct 15 2022, 11:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

L-jet beat me to it lol…
+Quote Post
L-Jet914
post Oct 16 2022, 12:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,080
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Van B @ Oct 15 2022, 10:53 PM) *

L-jet beat me to it lol…

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
engine247
post Oct 16 2022, 02:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 26,590
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks L-Jet914. I didn't want to do anything detrimental. That corrected the fuel pump running. Now it's off to the next issue.

Cheers!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:17 PM