Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oil Cooler, To clean. Or not. ?
jim_hoyland
post Nov 3 2022, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Since my local Indy closed, I’ve started doing some engine maintenance. First job was to change the oil. The car has had routine oil changes at 4,000 miles
After draining the sump, the filter was emptied into a seperate jar. I was surprised at the thick mucky oil st the bottom of the filter.
That got me thinking about the remote under-trunk oil cooler; should it be removed and cleaned?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 3 2022, 07:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 4 2022, 12:40 PM) *

Since my local Indy closed, I’ve started doing some engine maintenance. First job was to change the oil. The car has had routine oil changes at 4,000 miles
After draining the sump, the filter was emptied into a seperate jar. I was surprised at the thick mucky oil st the bottom of the filter.
That got me thinking about the remote under-trunk oil cooler; should it be removed and cleaned?

Jim it depends on how long its been on and if your temps have come up,oil coolers are very good @ building up oil varnish which can reduce heat transfer,presuming this is your only cooler ?.
If any of the above is not up to scratch it could benefit from an ultrasonic clean,you will be good.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 4 2022, 10:54 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Sounds an awful lot like condensation and not getting oil hot enough.

What do your oil temps run? Despite the old wives tales 180F is not hot enough to drive out moisture properly especially on short trips and infrequently used motors.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 07:03 AM