Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking at new tools
mepstein
post Nov 8 2022, 09:03 PM
Post #41

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(GBX0073 @ Nov 8 2022, 05:47 PM) *

So thanks to this thread I now feel the need to get a tool cart
Thinking Yukon or US general on the Yukon I like the idea of the wood top to add a Vice Thanks to mepstein I now know about Tekton so may be placing a order for Sockets wondering what black Friday sales they may have .

I use their rails and trays because I can pull a set of rails out of the tray and use it on the go. I took a set of impacts to my dad's house over the weekend. I leave the sockets "unlocked" in the box but twist them all a 1/4 turn to lock them in, if they are out of the box. The long trays fit perfectly into a gen 2 HF box. I also like that they sell all their sockets separately, so if I loose one, it's easily replaced. I'm not saying everyone has to be a Tekton fan. I just think you have to look at what the companies offer that work best for your needs. My buddy only buys snap on. He's spent 10's of thousands with them and will continue to do so. I'm happy with Tekton. I'm sure there are other brands that have other compelling features.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nathanxnathan
post Nov 8 2022, 10:25 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 21,899
Region Association: Southern California

Growing up in my dad's auto shop he always had Snap-On. and once you get a feel for it other stuff seems a bit lacking.

About a year ago, I guess I didn't have enough projects to spend my money on, and I decided, for the sake of nostolgia, to swap out my Craftsman Professional set for a used Snap-On set off Ebay — just the english. They're maybe not as nice as the Craftsman tbh as they're all mixed and matched from the 70's through 2010's (you can date Snap-On wrenches) and not a proper set.

Attached Image

Metrics I'm still rolling with the NLA Craftsman Pros. The 22 which fits the alternator nut to turn the fan is Westward and there's a 27 that's Kobalt in there. The tool roll is brake line wrenches which are Proto and pretty nice.

I put the Craftsman Professional English set in a cool waxed cotton tool roll I got off Etsy fron a company in Australia. I keep them around just in case.

Attached Image

I had 1 missing wrench from the Craftsman Pro set, like a 3/8 that got lost somehow, and found 1 on Ebay. People are asking like more than Snap-On for these. It was like $40 for the 1 small wrench.

I like Kennedy boxes, a throwback to my days working as a machinist, though my top box is a Kennedy mechanics box, still in the brown wrinkle finish.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Nov 9 2022, 04:15 AM
Post #43

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

I have 30 year old Craftsman and some 50 year old SK Wayne sockets and wrenches. Snapon is top of the line in quality and price and more reserved for the every day mechanic working in a shop. Look for used Craftsman tools at yard sales or swap meets. You can't go wrong. Kobalt tools at Lowe's are a spin off of Snapon.
+Quote Post
GBX0073
post Dec 1 2022, 05:08 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 25,007
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Update Picked up some metric Sockets from TEKTON
Rare to find Customer Service alive and well in today's world
But That is NOT AN ISSUE with TEKTON Emails answered quickly
Placed an order Tuesday morning shipped out within hours and Arrived the Next day
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Dec 1 2022, 05:18 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Husky? Snap-On for sure.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 1 2022, 06:28 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

Recently found a Craftsman 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive complete set with standard and metric short, long and case for $70. Local old guy, set is basically unused, probably from the 70's or 80's Craigslist find
+Quote Post
Archie
post Dec 1 2022, 07:32 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 10,844
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've got mostly 45-year-old Craftsman wrenches, ratchets and sockets, and several oddball special wrenches like Hazet made specifically for Porsche, I even have a set of wrenches sold by J.C. Penney (Penncaft brand) which are still holding up! H.F certainly seems to be getting better, judging by the appearance, but I haven't actually bought any to use yet. I remember back in the early Eighties, the Canadian AA tested some no-name Japanese or Chinese wrenches against Snap-on and found no difference!
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Dec 1 2022, 08:25 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 21,628

I've been starting to look at toolboxes and came across these at Karmann Konnection. Pretty expensive (available new at Amazon, too) but pretty smart.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CljULN_IiyO/

Attached Image
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Dec 1 2022, 09:12 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 1 2022, 06:25 PM) *

I've been starting to look at toolboxes and came across these at Karmann Konnection. Pretty expensive (available new at Amazon, too) but pretty smart.

Attached Image

What's in those display cases?
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 1 2022, 09:30 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 1 2022, 06:25 PM) *

Attached Image

There is also the bootleg IKEA $30 one.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/rashult-utilit...uoise-30490139/

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Dec 1 2022, 10:45 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 11,639

For tool storage, I have recently become a huge fan if the Mikwaukee Packout boxes. I've got dedicated boxes for electrical, brakes, etc. and just grap the ones I need at the moment.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 1 2022, 10:53 PM
Post #52

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Dec 1 2022, 11:45 PM) *

For tool storage, I have recently become a huge fan if the Mikwaukee Packout boxes. I've got dedicated boxes for electrical, brakes, etc. and just grap the ones I need at the moment.

Attached Image

They are cool sets. I would grab them if I needed mobility but they are pretty expensive for toolbox storage in the garage.
+Quote Post
Don914
post Dec 2 2022, 09:13 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 19,734

There had been a question about use of a 22 mm wrench. It is rare but I needed a 22 mm flare nut wrench for the bottom connections on the fuel tank. I also have SK socket sets (used to be SK Wayne) from the 60's. They remain in great condition. I bought a few wrenches from them a couple of years ago and the quality seems very good. However, they were sold to a Chinese company several months ago and online sales were suspended for a few months. The site is back up now but I don't know if the quality is the same. Home Depot is certainly not my go to source for tool storage, but I really liked a 52 in rolling workbench with good drawer placement. Critical to me was that their "Standard Duty" was 20 or 22 gauge steel and seemed really flimsy while their "Heavy Duty" was 18-19 gauge. What I got was the 19 gauge although $150 more. Seems very solid, good drawer opening and closure and large wheels, plus solid wooden top elevates for comfortable work height and exposes storage area below. However, the elevating top means no vice. It was OCD but I cut some masonite and covered wood. I even ended up with an empty drawer ...... which means I need more tools.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 2 2022, 09:18 AM
Post #54

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 1 2022, 11:53 PM) *

They are cool sets. I would grab them if I needed mobility but they are pretty expensive for toolbox storage in the garage.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) on both counts. The Ridgid ones are actually pretty well priced and almost as nice TBH. I have one for some different drill sets that I move a lot.

I really do like the Milwaukee Packout sets for socket sets though, way nicer than anything I've seen before. Though priced a little higher too...
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 2 2022, 10:26 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 12,023

QUOTE(Don914 @ Dec 2 2022, 07:13 AM) *

There had been a question about use of a 22 mm wrench. It is rare but I needed a 22 mm flare nut wrench for the bottom connections on the fuel tank.

Good info! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think this might have been discussed before, but I assume someone has compiled a list of wrenches/socket sizes that are needed for our 914s? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

One of the reasons for this question is that as I am getting new/used tools, I would like to make myself a nice traveling kit with my old tools. Maybe a combination of sockets/ratchets in a case and the rest in a soft rolled tool organizer. Grab those two and a bin of key spare parts/fastener and be ready for a road trip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

...Obviously, that will be when my car is back on the road. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Dec 3 2022, 08:12 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 11,639

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 2 2022, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 1 2022, 11:53 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) on both counts. The Ridgid ones are actually pretty well priced and almost as nice TBH. I have one for some different drill sets that I move a lot.

I really do like the Milwaukee Packout sets for socket sets though, way nicer than anything I've seen before. Though priced a little higher too...

Yes, the socket packout is one of my favorites. The flat sided sockets are also quite nice.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 06:35 AM