Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> More OEM Minutia, Carpet Backings
StarBear
post Nov 9 2022, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

@wonkipop
@jeffbowlsby
@van b
@big len
In the midst of finally replacing a few key pieces of my original carpeting. Noticed something somewhat strange (see pics). The backing on the driver’s side (on right) is lighter and kind of light, stiff pvc or something. Stamped with “TSB”. Passenger side backing is black and much more rubbery; not stiff at all. Same situation with the NOS pieces I’m preparing to put in and the NOS passenger mat already in (not in pics).

Any experience, insight, or history on this. These are known (mine) original pieces.
As promised, truly minutia.
Thanks!

Backs of Originals:
Attached Image

Backs of New NOS:
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wonkipop
post Nov 10 2022, 01:11 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

@StarBear
if i was forced to stab a guess.
having got them out and looked at them - and having a think about where they go.
i can see a logic maybe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

the clear whitish resin backed pieces seem to be the ones that had to conform to more complex 3-d contours.

drivers sill has hand brake recess.
bit from behind the passenger seat, pretty sure that is where it went seems to be deformed to accomodate the wiring loom bundle that comes out and heads for the seat belt interlock relay etc. (or maybe i have those two bits back to front in my photo above and its shaped for the hand brake cable guide where its going through the firewall?) the tunnel piece is deformed into a shape near the gear lever.

rest of the carpet only needed to do simple single fold or was flat.
has different thinner less rigid type of backing.

drivers piece seemed to get a super dooper heavy layer of rubberised or vinyl backing probably because they figured it was going to get the most wear and tear?

i think whitish resin piece has something to do with form moulding carpet. just a guess but.

------------

otherwise its just whether hans or gretel down at the cottage industry made of straw or the other one made of wood produced the pieces and they all ended up in a big bin that got bits of carpet taken out randomly by heinrich and horst!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Nov 10 2022, 01:40 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

if my outlandish theory above is correct (and not just wonki) then i am super impressed by the germans. it would have been taking capitalism, functionalism and minimalism to levels i had not appreciated before. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

its the kind of nut case engineering/frugal penny pinching the germans would get up to. not even relaxing when they got to the carpet. they probably made an extra $5.00 per month out of tuning the carpet material and manufacture process. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 11:04 AM