Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mig or tig, Which would you choose?
r_towle
post Nov 29 2022, 06:07 PM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Thank you everyone!
This has helped me by teaching me.

A new Mig is in my future.

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Nov 30 2022, 01:33 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 29 2022, 04:07 PM) *

Ugh on the shielding gas and cup recommendations. That is not correct as you want to use the largest cup possible for the application. This is coming from a national welding education instructor and a former aviation TIG welder.

All other comments I agree with.

This is a specific sheetmetal specific application ONLY. When butt welding a steel component that needs metal finishing such as straightening, wheeling, bending etc, this technique will keep the metal from becoming as hard as a normal TIG weld with proper post flow and gas coverage. The goal here is to melt the metal quickly and minimize the "air hardening" applied by the shielding gas. It will be completely finished out and the weld needs to be invisible.

If you are doing structural or other components, absolutely, bust out the Furick cup and send it. Don't do this with TIG welding anything but sheet metal components on a body. Not chassis sheetmetal or anything else.

+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 30 2022, 02:21 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 30 2022, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 29 2022, 04:07 PM) *

Ugh on the shielding gas and cup recommendations. That is not correct as you want to use the largest cup possible for the application. This is coming from a national welding education instructor and a former aviation TIG welder.

All other comments I agree with.

This is a specific sheetmetal specific application ONLY. When butt welding a steel component that needs metal finishing such as straightening, wheeling, bending etc, this technique will keep the metal from becoming as hard as a normal TIG weld with proper post flow and gas coverage. The goal here is to melt the metal quickly and minimize the "air hardening" applied by the shielding gas. It will be completely finished out and the weld needs to be invisible.

If you are doing structural or other components, absolutely, bust out the Furick cup and send it. Don't do this with TIG welding anything but sheet metal components on a body. Not chassis sheetmetal or anything else.

My specialty is aviation sheet metal components so completely get it but you use a large cup to dissipate the shielding gas so that it does not rush at a higher pressure through a #4 cup similar to a venturi effect. All you need for thinner materials is 15cfh but a large cup actually reduces the pressure. A gas lens would be preferred.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Nov 30 2022, 09:21 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Are there any modern adhesives available that are better than welding?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 30 2022, 09:40 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 29 2022, 11:46 AM) *

@nathanxnathan

I hear ya. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Even in this case - all 3 layers were new and clean but still had major episodes of splattering weld puddle that contaminates the electrode.

Good example where TIG was not the best tool for the job. Would have been much better to have done this with MIG but I didn’t have my MIG available.

FYI - my solution here was to downsize the electrode to 0.020” (pulsed at 2-3 Hz) to get in the hole down to 1st layer get the puddle between 1st and 2nd layer started then feed 0.023 MIG wire in as the filler and fed it in fast to get the inner layer fused. Then let it cool - repeat for 2nd and 3rd layer. Took way too much time for each puddle weld. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

This is an application for spot welding.

What is happening is the gas between the layers (O2) expands and when the puddle melts contaminates the weld.

So to TIG weld three layers the weld design is better if a plug weld is used....drill with a spot faced drill through the first two layers three times the dia of the thickness of the metal and fill up the hole.

In my opinion becuase of weld deposition rates (time) MIG is better there given that application.

If no MIG is available...pulse is a good decision and a gas lens...if you don't have a gas lens stuff some 3M scotchbirte in a #8 cup.

No charge.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 30 2022, 09:41 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 30 2022, 08:21 PM) *

Are there any modern adhesives available that are better than welding?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

In a aero space clean room yes:

VHB.
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Dec 1 2022, 08:16 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 29 2022, 08:07 PM) *

Thank you everyone!
This has helped me by teaching me.

A new Mig is in my future.

Rich

Hey Rich, I am sort of in the same boat and will be buying a Mig this winter.
Look at Yeswelder.com, there are many reviews on YouTube. They have a lot of features for the money and you can buy them on Amazon as well.
Give us a review of what you end up with!
Scott
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Dec 1 2022, 10:58 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have both Tig and Mig, I am terrible at both but can say that Mig is much faster for long welds.

I've seen Ben's welding. It's a work of art. Whatever he says, go with!

+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 1 2022, 11:06 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Dec 1 2022, 08:58 AM) *

I have both Tig and Mig, I am terrible at both but can say that Mig is much faster for long welds.

I've seen Ben's welding. It's a work of art. Whatever he says, go with!

Thanks for that. What I would say is there many talented folks out there when it comes to welding. There are folks that really know the technical aspects of what is correct and how things should be done and then there are many whom are self taught that have found what works for them but may or may not be the correct way to do proceed even though the results maybe favorable. My issue with the latter is that many times it is bad advice to the average learner and though maybe achievable by higher skilled folks the weekend warrior welder on a car forum does not benefit from advice.

I have now been teaching tech college level welding for 20 plus years and often remind my students that even though they have purchased a welder at home depot it takes years to master the skill and longer without proper advice/ and or training.

Again I need to do some youtube videos.

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 1 2022, 12:11 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Yeah you do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 1 2022, 12:15 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 30 2022, 10:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 29 2022, 11:46 AM) *

@nathanxnathan

I hear ya. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Even in this case - all 3 layers were new and clean but still had major episodes of splattering weld puddle that contaminates the electrode.

This is an application for spot welding.

Agreed but sometimes we have to make do with the tools we have at hand.

The problem is that spot welds can be one of the hardest weld processes to get a good solid weld in a home shop environment. Lots of variables: clamp pressure, current/voltage, cycle time, tip geometry. I’ve seen bodies from OEM assembly plants scrapped due to spot welding process that went out of whack.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:21 AM