Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Longitudinal to sill sealer?
Van B
post Dec 31 2022, 10:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Can anyone help me figure out the appropriate replacement for this sealer. It is different from the brushed on seam sealer in the engine bay and the spray type used throughout the body.

This product is definitely a no sag formula but it is black and not beige or white like elsewhere. And most notably, it’s hard and brittle vs soft and pliable.

Edit: it also is porous, which I don’t think is ideal…

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 23)
wonkipop
post Jan 6 2023, 07:20 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

very interesting conversation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

i'm with @Superhawk996 on silicone has no place near doing anything with cars.
.......and paint.

at a micro level not only does the paint not take to it (leading to other potential catastrophes) - but the edge between where paint ultimately finishes (long term) and where the silicone starts is your weak point for moisture to enter the system.
silicone sure likes sticking to glass. it bonds beautifully to it. but as i noted above, down the track its adhesion to metal long term has a question mark on it for me.
having seen so many failures after fairly short service life. admittedly it was exposed to UV (fairly extreme and hostile) and a lot of temp movement due to thermal expansion and contraction.

polyurethane is an interesting substance.
these days its falling out of favour in my industry down here. construction industry.
for long term environmental impacts i guess and because ultimately its totally unrecycleable, can't really be turned into anything else and hangs around in the environment for a long time. strangely its all swinging back to butyl based sealants, older tech but i guess with improved formulations and performance.
germany has been leading the charge on this for some time and is out to basically eliminate polyurethane in all its forms out of construction.
its beginning to gain momentum down here too.

but that does not mean its not applicable to the sealant job @VanB is doing in practical terms.

i think that @Superhawk996 has it right though. you want a sealant you can paint over so that the paint surface is continuous and does not break down where it crosses the line between metal and sealant. if it does that is where your rust will start all over again.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 6 2023, 08:36 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 6 2023, 07:55 PM) *

My only concern is how well the sealant would bond to bare metal vs painted/primed.

Wurth (or SEM) seam sealer - designed for use on bare metal or over painted surfaces. Takes finish paint like a champ. Tried and true. Available in either rubber or urethane.

Just saying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

In all seriousness I’d assume 3M is very similar. You’ve got to wonder how many suppliers there really are. Probably one and they just stuff it in different branded tubes.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jan 6 2023, 11:31 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

LOL I still remember when that episode was new… and when the simpsons was funny. Hell, wonki was probably half American back then!

So, I have this 3M Urethane seam sealer but I am now considering the more old school rubber based 3M Dynatron for the underbody and engine bay since it will be top coated with the rubber based undercoating.

Then I’ll use the urethane for locations that will get paint as the top coat.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 7 2023, 12:50 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 6 2023, 11:31 PM) *

LOL I still remember when that episode was new… and when the simpsons was funny. Hell, wonki was probably half American back then!

So, I have this 3M Urethane seam sealer but I am now considering the more old school rubber based 3M Dynatron for the underbody and engine bay since it will be top coated with the rubber based undercoating.

Then I’ll use the urethane for locations that will get paint as the top coat.

i was

i was watching the simpsons in chicago when it first came out.

dead set it was one of the funniest things i had ever seen.

back then i did not conform to aussie stupidity when it came to my friends the yanks.
they have the best sense of humour out there. you just have to get it.

i was at a comedy club in chicago when bill hicks did his "meltdown".
i could barely contain myself with the laughter.

the simpsons were red hot when they were fresh.

american working classs = australian working class.
same people, just speak a different language. still understand each other but! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 02:15 AM