Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jack Stand Police, WOW! Did you know this; I didn't. See post #30
76-914
post Jan 5 2023, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ufAL5R0mg
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 5 2023, 11:02 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Moral of the story - use them improperly, your risk of getting hurt goes up. Same as any other tool.

+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jan 5 2023, 11:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Thanks for posting this!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 5 2023, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That was really interesting, thanks for posting!

I don't use ratchet stands. Pin type only. I've always been a little annoyed because they have a large base and get in the way. Now I'm glad they are given how easy some of the smaller based stands tipped over!

170lbs can easily be the weight of a person walking up and leaning up against your car. "Whatcha working on....oops!"
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 5 2023, 01:15 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 5 2023, 10:50 AM) *

I don't use ratchet stands. Pin type only. I've always been a little annoyed because they have a large base and get in the way. Now I'm glad they are given how easy some of the smaller based stands tipped over!

170lbs can easily be the weight of a person walking up and leaning up against your car. "Whatcha working on....oops!"

Or your wife driving into the back of your 914 when you're under it. Ask me how I know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 5 2023, 01:18 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jan 5 2023, 09:31 AM) *

This guy has the personality of a Fire Hydrant but he is my go to guy for lots of purchases. The last 2 were a metal cutting blade for my Skill Saw and a bit sharpener so I don't need to run to the store every time I dull or break a bit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 5 2023, 04:37 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 5 2023, 01:50 PM) *

The way that 170 lbs was measured was pretty bogus and was intentional misuse.

Jacking up a high Cg vehicle and placing the jack stands that close to each other and at max height one right on each side of the differential - is asking for trouble.

Move them out toward the wheel ends where they belong and vehicle stability and that 170 lb number goes way up. Works great for generating YouTube clicks though!

Pushing forward on the vehicle without wheels chocked - intentional misuse. Likewise that 170 lbs lateral load number would go up if the front wheels are chocked properly both fore and aft.

Jack stands used on rubber pads and soft surfaces - intentional misuse.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 5 2023, 07:47 PM
Post #8

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Spend a little more money and get the pin type.

We had one of our admins suffer a 914 falling on him when a ratchet jack stand failed a bunch of years ago. He lived, but was lucky his wife was home, and needed a bunch of surgery to his face. I bought the pin type and got rid of all the ratcheting ones I had.

When I was a lot younger and restoring WWII armored cars we would put them on undersized jackstands and get under them. So stupid. But I figured if one failed while I was under the Bren carrier I'd never know it.

Zach
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 5 2023, 08:09 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 5 2023, 02:15 PM) *

Or your wife driving into the back of your 914 when you're under it. Ask me how I know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I usually put a wheel or two under the car for that reason. I actually had an old safe with wheels that worked well for extra insurance. I’ve also added extra jacks so if one failed, it wouldn’t be an issue. I’m a big chicken about crawling under cars. But for the most part, if I have to get under a car to work on it, I’d rather it be on a lift.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 5 2023, 09:54 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2023, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 5 2023, 02:15 PM) *

I usually put a wheel or two under the car for that reason. I actually had an old safe with wheels that worked well for extra insurance. I’ve also added extra jacks so if one failed, it wouldn’t be an issue. I’m a big chicken about crawling under cars. But for the most part, if I have to get under a car to work on it, I’d rather it be on a lift.

I had left the floor jack beneath the car after lowering it onto the jack stands; just in case. Then she got pissed at me because I "unloaded" on her for trying to kill me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jan 5 2023, 09:55 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This is what I use now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019JVIP...=UTF8&psc=1
+Quote Post
arbitrary
post Jan 6 2023, 02:18 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 25,475

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 5 2023, 10:37 PM) *

The way that 170 lbs was measured was pretty bogus and was intentional misuse.

Jacking up a high Cg vehicle and placing the jack stands that close to each other and at max height one right on each side of the differential - is asking for trouble.

Move them out toward the wheel ends where they belong and vehicle stability and that 170 lb number goes way up. Works great for generating YouTube clicks though!

Does the distance between stands really matter for that particular test on a solid axle? I’m trying to visualise the difference in how the required lateral force could vary based on jack separation distance and I’m not getting it?

BTW 170 lbs of lateral force is still a fair bit. That’s far more than someone casually leaning up against a car - that’s a serious deliberate push. If we’re worried about friends doing that perhaps we should pick our friends more carefully? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
arbitrary
post Jan 6 2023, 02:20 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 25,475

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 6 2023, 03:55 AM) *

I brought 4 of those back from the US about 15 years ago back when checked luggage allowances were more generous - they have served me well ever since.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jan 6 2023, 08:52 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,639

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 5 2023, 10:55 PM) *

+1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 6 2023, 09:31 AM
Post #15

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 6 2023, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 5 2023, 10:55 PM) *

+1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+2.
Though I have found them at a much lower price in the past if you look around other then Amazon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 6 2023, 01:37 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(arbitrary @ Jan 6 2023, 03:18 AM) *

Does the distance between stands really matter for that particular test on a solid axle? I’m trying to visualise the difference in how the required lateral force could vary based on jack separation distance and I’m not getting it?

BTW 170 lbs of lateral force is still a fair bit. That’s far more than someone casually leaning up against a car - that’s a serious deliberate push. If we’re worried about friends doing that perhaps we should pick our friends more carefully? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Some of this depends on where the lateral force is applied vs the center of gravity.

To try to keep it simple with no math.

Far left - simple block mass with a single jack stand under it. We would all agree this is dangerous and would be easily disturbed by applying a lateral force (F). That force would cause the mass to rotate (overturning moment) and it would tip over the jack stand in one direction on another depending on whether the lateral force F is applied higher than or lower than the center of gravity.

Middle - I’ve represented mass more like a car. Some of the mass is centralized but other mass is overhanging the jack stands. Although there are now two - they are too close to the vehicle center line.

Far right - same representation of mass. But now the jackstands are out underneath the outermost masses as far as they can go. In this scenario - force F is almost all lateral and doesn’t create the tendency for tipping due to rotation of the vehicle mass about the center line.

Hopefully this helps.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 6 2023, 01:40 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Been using the ratchet jacks WITH pins for a long time.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Jan 6 2023, 05:27 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 23,922
Region Association: Southwest Region

My first thought watching was why are the jack stands so close together? But, it makes for interesting video and more clicks!

I have both types of jack stands; pins and ratchet but when our teenage son started working on his car I sprang for a QuickJack. Figured it was cheap insurance against mistakes, and I've coached him to add the pin type stand under the pivot of the QJ just in case...Now he's working as a mechanic at a local shop and some of his lift stories give me the willys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

QJ seems to be a good solution for everything from the Miata to the 914 to my Raptor (I got the 7000lb version and SUV kit so my bases were covered)

Thanks for sharing the video - good things to know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
DBF
post Jan 9 2023, 09:54 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 25,865
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A friend of mine was killed when his big riding mower feel on him while on jack stands. He was a careful guy, and on concrete. Since then, I always use a couple floor jacks as an extra safety measure when under a car on jack stands. The jacks are 90 degree from each other. My hope is if the car goes forward or sideways, one of the jacks will likely tip over with the jack stands, but the other will roll with the car and not tip over and hold the car up.
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Jan 9 2023, 03:14 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 11,519

Harbor Freight has just come out with a set of 'Esco" like (pinned post type) jack stands rated at 6000lbs. i know there are plenty of those that avoid anything HF but they took a beating on their ratcheting type failure so you'd think they learned something.

I bought two pair to replace my ratcheting type which I've never really trusted.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:58 AM