Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake pressure warning switch
SVG223
post Jan 22 2023, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,317
Region Association: None

In the middle of rebuilding/bleeding the brakes and the parking brake warning light is flashing while doing test drives and won't shut off. After checking the parking brake switch I do a little research and read about the brake pressure warning switch on the master cylinder which has a reset button. I'm thinking about how often I might have to reset the thing before I'm done with the brakes. What about cutting the wire to the switch until I decide to rebuild/replace the master cylinder, then reattach it? I don't think I need a flashing light to tell me that I have low brake pressure, that should be obvious.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 22 2023, 02:05 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Please do not cut the wire. The brake light warning switch is easy to get too once you have done it once it is a no-brainer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SVG223
post Jan 22 2023, 02:14 PM
Post #3

Thanks for letting me know that it was easy to get to, Cairo94507. I have made no attempts since discovering that it wasn't the parking brake switch.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 22 2023, 02:31 PM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

OK - the master cylinder is under the car, right behind the front wheels, below the gas tank. You can access it by jacking the car up and if you still have the steering rack protector plate installed, remove that (4 bolts) and the master cylinder is on full display. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SVG223
post Jan 22 2023, 03:15 PM
Post #5

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tiphat2.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jan 22 2023, 08:52 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Original switches have two terminals. You should be able to pull the leads if you remove the left wheel, since the switch is on the left side of the MC.

You can remove the switch without breaching the brake fluid system.
+Quote Post
SVG223
post Apr 9 2023, 09:32 PM
Post #7

I pulled off the wire and it stopped flashing, which was good enough for me.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 10 2023, 08:19 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

It is a pin switch that works on the central shuttle valve. That shuttle valve moves from its center based on differential pressure between the front and rear circuit. If one circuit has pressure and the other does not (or has significantly lower pressure) then the shuttle valve moves toward the low side, activating the pin switch. The light comes on, telling you one of your circuits has low brake pressure.

Once you fully bleed both circuits, the shuttle valve auto-centers, the pin switch is deactivated, and the light goes off.

So if you're driving the car and the brake light is coming on, then either you have a damaged master cylinder or one of your brake circuits is faulty.

BTW, technically there should be no brake fluid in that center of the master cylinder body where the shuttle valve is. You can remove/replace that switch and not have to re-bleed the system. But, some fluid may leak by the seals so that's why many switches will have a weep hole. but if you pull that switch and there's a lot of fluid in there then you have a faulty master cylinder. - GA
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 11 2023, 10:09 PM
Post #9

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Many of the switches are latching, so even when the shuttle moves back into place it still grounds the single contact (or bridges the two contacts together). Those must be reset by pressing the button on the switch--usually it's covered by a rubber cover.

Some switches are not latching, so when the imbalance goes away and the shuttle re-centers itself the light goes off. I believe that those are replacement switches.

--DD
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 12 2023, 05:26 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 11 2023, 11:09 PM) *

Many of the switches are latching, so even when the shuttle moves back into place it still grounds the single contact (or bridges the two contacts together). Those must be reset by pressing the button on the switch--usually it's covered by a rubber cover.

Ah hah! I've often wondered about that, as I've read here about that button but none of my cars (or replacement parts) ever had them. I learned something cool today...

And that latching makes total sense, since you want the driver to know that there's a mechanical problem to be addressed. I guess it was easier (and cheaper) for manufacturers to make the switches simpler (and cheaper) and hope the driver figured it out... - GA
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 12 2023, 02:16 PM
Post #11

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

I've had a loss in pressure once due to boiling the brakes at the track.

I absolutely did not need the light to tell me that my brakes were f***ed. When the pedal went to the floor (at over 100 MPH), the light started blinking and my first thought was "No s**t, Sherlock!"

--DD
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 12 2023, 02:42 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:00 AM