Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine position, Questions related to Subaru Swap
Lilchopshop
post Jan 27 2023, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,932
Region Association: North East States

Hi All,
I’m sure this has been discussed in other posts here, but I’m not having luck finding them…. I’m building a Suby-swapped 914. I’m using the 2.2L motor and 5MT from a ‘99 Legacy. I want to build my own engine cradle and I might make my own engine mounts that are tied into the rear suspension ears similar to what @tygaboy is doing on his Ferrari swap. I don’t mind cutting into the trunk for clearance, but I still want a functional trunk and storage for the targa top.

I’m at the point now of trying to find the optimum position for the engine/tranny and I have the following questions:
1. Crankshaft angle; I’ve seen others try to keep the angle parallel to the ground. If I do this, the engine will be very low unless I make big cuts into the trunk floor for the transmission. What should I be looking for relative to engine height and crankshaft angle?
2. CV angle; I know that less angle is better, but the output shafts on the Suby transmission are very far forward. If I align these to the trailing arms, the whole engine/transmission ends up very far back leaving no room for a muffler, making intake plumbing tricky and shifting the CG of the car rearwards. I’m planning to get custom axles that will use the Subaru inner cv joints and the 914 cv joints at the wheels. With the mock-up I am doing now, i have things in a position where there is just enough room to fit a muffler behind the tranny and gives me enough room between the stock intake manifold and the rear of the engine bay. However, this position has the cv axles sweeping backwards at about 15.5 degrees when the trailing arms are horizontal. Does this seem like too much?

Anything else I should be considering here?

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 08:50 AM