Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Museum in March
BillJ
post Jan 31 2023, 12:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

Does anyone know if the museum regularly shows interesting 914s like the 8 cylinder or GT cars? Headed in March and want to see if there are any tricks to getting some close ups of unique versions....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jack Standz
post Jan 31 2023, 08:53 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,644

When we were there the 914 with a flat 8 was on display. So was a 968 cab, a reproduced type 64, Walter Rohr's Audi Quatro winning rally car, a 917 motor in an exploded-display format and lots of other cool cars. Although that was 5 yrs ago.

A couple other things you can do while you're there are: rent a 911 GTS cab (or similar), take the top down and head out on the autobahn (they gave us free museum admission); you also can ask to take the factory tour (across the street from the museum), but you must do this in advance and there are English language tours available.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 31 2023, 09:17 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Yeah, Ferry's(?) orange 914-8 is on display, I have a photo of it around here somewhere...you can get within 2-3 feet of it but can't touch or open up.

GT1, too.

Factory tour is worth it, but as noted do need to reserve well in advance, it fills up.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 31 2023, 09:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

BTW, also gotta hit VW's Autostadt museum in Wolfsburg. WELL worth the (autobahn) drive. Personally, not that Porsche's museum sucked, but I was more amazed at the Autostadt tour and museum versus Porsche's...
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 31 2023, 10:23 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jan 31 2023, 06:53 AM) *

When we were there the 914 with a flat 8 was on display. So was a 968 cab, a reproduced type 64, Walter Rohr's Audi Quatro winning rally car, a 917 motor in an exploded-display format and lots of other cool cars. Although that was 5 yrs ago.

A couple other things you can do while you're there are: rent a 911 GTS cab (or similar), take the top down and head out on the autobahn (they gave us free museum admission); you also can ask to take the factory tour (across the street from the museum), but you must do this in advance and there are English language tours available.

I know there are many other threads on this topic but who did you rent the 911 through?
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 31 2023, 11:12 AM
Post #6

I have tours of factory and museum already booked AND rented the 911 coupe for my birthday on March 11. I rented right from porsche. They offer it direct on the website
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Jan 31 2023, 11:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,061

While in Stuttgart you must see the Mercedes Museum . Two or Three times the size of of the Porsche Museum . PM me your address and I'll mail you a floor plan of the Porsche Museum. AL
+Quote Post
akp2002
post Jan 31 2023, 11:47 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 25,059

Both the Porsche and Mercedes's museums are so close you can do them both in one day! Really worth doing.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jan 31 2023, 12:58 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,674

I know this is a bit off topic but if you want to see a variety of air cooled motors 906, 908, 4 cam etc etc: the Revs Institute in Naples is the place. They have a bunch of engines on display and very accessible - like touchy assessable.

They also have an extensive library. Not been in it but it is an “ institute”!
+Quote Post
Jack Standz
post Jan 31 2023, 01:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 23,644

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 31 2023, 11:23 PM) *

I know there are many other threads on this topic but who did you rent the 911 through?

Rented ahead of visit via Porsche's website and picked up outside the door of the museum (they have staff at the museum to help you, but setup rental before you go& I think you need to bring insurance papers also?). Also, the Mercedes-Benz museum is so close, you really should stop there too.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 31 2023, 01:50 PM
Post #11

Sweet we will do the mercedes museum as well for sure
+Quote Post
Osnabruck914
post Jan 31 2023, 05:31 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 27,038
Region Association: South East States

Hotel Tip - If you need a place to stay for your museum visit, the Hotel Neuwirthaus on Schweiberdinger Strasse in Zuffenhauen is by far the most convenient. Leave your car at the hotel and just walk down the hill to the factory and museum- no stress to find parking, etc.

Osnabruck914
+Quote Post
Osnabruck914
post Jan 31 2023, 05:33 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 27,038
Region Association: South East States

Hotel Tip - If you need a place to stay for your museum visit, the Hotel Neuwirthaus on Schweiberdinger Strasse in Zuffenhauen is by far the most convenient. Leave your car at the hotel and just walk down the hill to the factory and museum- no stress to find parking, etc.

Osnabruck914
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 31 2023, 09:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

well you are a lucky man.
you will enjoy the experience.

if you happen to be in berlin the duetsches technikmuseum is pretty darned good.
but you might be museumed out...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

if you want to do some research favours stick your iphone in front of the windscreen etchings on any 914 the porsche museum has on display and post the photos up here.
be really interested to know what windscreen was fitted to the red piech monster and the 74 1.8 they have if either are out on display. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Feb 1 2023, 07:06 AM
Post #15

I can definitely try to do that for you!
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Mar 9 2023, 03:51 AM
Post #16

Arriving by train in Stuttgart in less than an hour! Any world members live here??
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Mar 9 2023, 07:08 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,790

I'm closely following this and looking forward to your pics/videos.

My wife signed on to go to Italy with her sister, bro-in-law, and another couple without us being allowed any input. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

I'm looking for a way to escape Italy and make a trip to Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen. If anyone has traveled from Florence to Stuttgart to visit the museum please give me some direction.

very interested in hearing about your experience.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Mar 9 2023, 10:57 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 20,392

I have done Euro delivery of BMW's twice. Both included trip to Porsche museum. One to the old one, latest to the new. As others have said Mercedes museum is close and worth a trip. If you are in Munich the BMW Welt, museum and factory tour are available. Enjoy your trip.

john
+Quote Post
CCE
post Mar 10 2023, 12:13 AM
Post #19

CCE

Member No.: 26,203

QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jan 31 2023, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 31 2023, 11:23 PM) *

Rented ahead of visit via Porsche's website and picked up outside the door of the museum (they have staff at the museum to help you, but setup rental before you go& I think you need to bring insurance papers also?). Also, the Mercedes-Benz museum is so close, you really should stop there too.

You can ask in the main entrance for the car rentals in the Porsche museum. In my visit last September 2022.
Unfortunately for me the red flat eight was out from the display and in the far corner of the mechanic shop. Because of the 911 2.7 RS 50th. anniversary
Attached Image

+Quote Post
CCE
post Mar 10 2023, 12:20 AM
Post #20

CCE

Member No.: 26,203

QUOTE(Osnabruck914 @ Jan 31 2023, 05:31 PM) *

Osnabruck914

I did the Loginn. Also very close, new, clean. Not fancy but just ok..
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:06 PM