Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Resurrecting a Bumblebee and me, A slackers attempt at keeping Pandora in the box
KELTY360
post Feb 5 2023, 08:01 PM
Post #1

914 Neferati

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So it's time to get off my ass and deal with this rare gem that has wandered into my garage. Much to the skepticism of some, it's an original 21,000 mile LE that was parked by the original owner in 1988 and didn't move til his heir's sold the car and the new owner moved it from Honolulu to Pt. Townsend, WA in late summer 2022. My somewhat accidental purchase is documented in a previous thread: Low mileage LE?

For those who don't know me, I'm a longtime 914 believer since purchasing a Sunflower Yellow 1.7 brand new in 1973. I've since owned a variety of these little cars, currently holding a '74 2.0 and the LE. I've also encountered a couple of major oral surgeries over the last year that have put me in a state of slow recovery that leads to my personal resurrection. I didn't really intend to buy the LE but that ship has sailed and I'm trying to bring it back to life for my own resurgence, with the help of some friends of course.

The car is very solid and straight with minimal corrosion, as verified by @Root_Werks and @Greenie . My plan at present is to get it sorted out mechanically and some cosmetics, without performing a complete restoration. I do not plan on keeping the car when the plan is done. So, anyone who's interested in a very original, documented and compete LE is welcome to contact me. In this thread I'll be posting a list of parts needed and pictures and descriptions of work planned or completed.

I'll end this long post with an obligatory pic so I don't get the dreaded TTIWWP emogi. Many more pics to follow as I progress.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Chris H.
post Feb 5 2023, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Awesome find Marc! Can't wait to see the refresh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Feb 5 2023, 08:13 PM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 6 2023, 02:12 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

you got to love survivor cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

there is a real case for just doing whats necessary and no more with a car like that.

great stuff.
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Feb 6 2023, 07:50 AM
Post #5

Oil Cooled heart

Member No.: 11,875
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) What a great find! Sympathetic resurrections take patience but the results are so rewarding... watching with interest.
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Feb 6 2023, 08:37 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,519
Region Association: Southern California

Can't wait to see the progress! Looking forward to lots more pictures.

I like that you will keep it as original as possible!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rjames
post Feb 6 2023, 10:29 AM
Post #7

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 6 2023, 10:37 AM
Post #8

914 Neferati

A number of people commented in the auction thread that it had 20K 'hard miles'. That may be true, but I think it's more a matter of 34 'hard years' sitting idle in a carport.

Initially the driver's door latch wouldn't work without pulling so hard you'd break the handle. Fortunately the inside latch worked fine. After many applications of penetrating oil and gently operating the latch it freed up and now opens smooth and easy. An added benefit is that the door closes with a satisfying thump...love that sound.

Attached Image

I'm very pleased with the body gaps on this door.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 6 2023, 10:40 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Feb 6 2023, 10:43 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

Nice find! I hope you put those Rivs on there to roll the car around, and have the stock Mahles stashed away for safe keeping. Otherwise, it looks like one of the previous owners made a very poor wheel decision. It's also strange that he converted the targa trim on the back to chrome.....I could be wrong, but I think it's supposed to be black if it's stock.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 6 2023, 11:03 AM
Post #11

914 Neferati

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 6 2023, 08:43 AM) *

Nice find! I hope you put those Rivs on there to roll the car around, and have the stock Mahles stashed away for safe keeping. Otherwise, it looks like one of the previous owners made a very poor wheel decision. It's also strange that he converted the targa trim on the back to chrome.....I could be wrong, but I think it's supposed to be black if it's stock.

It's not rolling now as it went on jackstands this weekend thanks to Curt who came over the mountains from chez Greenie to help. The Rivs were on when I got it, but I also got the Mahles in the deal. Four of them have been painted with a red center for some reason but the spare in the frunk is pristine. Mahles are my favorite 914 wheel and I'll be restoring them to their proper finish.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I suspect the trim and sail/targa vinyl was added by the dealer to enhance floor appeal. I've heard the LE's could be slow to sell initially. The vinyl is in very good shape, although I will be looking to replace some trim pieces. I've thought about removing the vinyl but for now I'll let the next owner make that decision.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 6 2023, 12:22 PM
Post #12

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Very cool you finally got a thread started on the "refresh"!

For the wheels, wonder if it'd be worth it to just have them completely restored?
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 6 2023, 12:37 PM
Post #13

914 Neferati

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Feb 6 2023, 10:22 AM) *

Very cool you finally got a thread started on the "refresh"!

For the wheels, wonder if it'd be worth it to just have them completely restored?

Good question. My plan is to get the paint stripped and any curb rash and blemishes fixed and then have them painted at the same time as the bumpers and valances; using the pristine wheel as a guide for color match. Make sense?
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Feb 6 2023, 01:22 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,519
Region Association: Southern California

Looks like an original spoiler too! Hopefully its in good condition. Don't let that sucker out of your sight.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Feb 6 2023, 04:40 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 20,499

Congratulations!!! Great find as this LE survivor appears to have "good bones" and yes, the original VPC front spoiler.

When I had the yellow accents repainted, Mark at Eurotech Bodywerkes found the correct Sunflower Yellow paint listed with Glasurit as Summer Yellow with the same paint code (Sunflower Yellow became Summer Yellow for the 1975 model year). And the same mix was used by the vendor who restored all five Mahle wheels. We had the Porsche script for the sides custom made to a paint swatch.

Your side script seems to be mounted a little high. There are actual Porsche specifications for the location of the script and I think I might have seen them on Jeff Bowlsby's site.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 6 2023, 06:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

looks like the spare still has the o g dunlop SP mounted on it.
speaks volumes.

good luck with the both your resurrections.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 6 2023, 07:34 PM
Post #17

914 Neferati

QUOTE(Beach914 @ Feb 6 2023, 11:22 AM) *

Looks like an original spoiler too! Hopefully its in good condition. Don't let that sucker out of your sight.

Right! That was confirmed when I first saw the car. Would have been a deal-breaker if it wasn't. More pics when it's off the car.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 6 2023, 07:42 PM
Post #18

914 Neferati

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Feb 6 2023, 02:40 PM) *

Congratulations!!! Great find as this LE survivor appears to have "good bones" and yes, the original VPC front spoiler.

When I had the yellow accents repainted, Mark at Eurotech Bodywerkes found the correct Sunflower Yellow paint listed with Glasurit as Summer Yellow with the same paint code (Sunflower Yellow became Summer Yellow for the 1975 model year). And the same mix was used by the vendor who restored all five Mahle wheels. We had the Porsche script for the sides custom made to a paint swatch.

Your side script seems to be mounted a little high. There are actual Porsche specifications for the location of the script and I think I might have seen them on Jeff Bowlsby's site.

That's good info, Ben.

As I understand it the stripes were delivered in the trunk and added at the dealer. They didn't do a very good job in application. All four transitions at the wheel well lips have separated from the body to some degree.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 6 2023, 07:49 PM
Post #19

914 Neferati

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 6 2023, 04:18 PM) *

looks like the spare still has the o g dunlop SP mounted on it.
speaks volumes.

good luck with the both your resurrections.

Good eye! 165R15 Dunlop SP57, Made in Germany. Found this sticker firmly attached on the back wall of the spare well. Probably put on at the factory, although it might have been applied at the dealer. The Mahle on the spare also has SP written on the back of the wheel.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 6 2023, 07:50 PM
Post #20

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

A couple of clarifications. THis appears to be an original finish car. Everything is original.

Great to see the factory spoiler which was not made by VPC. VPS made an afermarket spoiler emulating the factory spoiler.

The side stripes look original like they have been on the car for 49 years. On my original paint BB they were also mounted high like that. As I understand it, the stripes were mounted on the dealer lot (assuming the customer did not reject them) because the cars shipped coated in cosmiline for the ocean voyage which would damage vinyl decals, so the side stripes could be mounted in any number of ways. The package o aftermarket stripes that dealers sold over the counter has mounting instructions, but that does not mean the lot boys followed them.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 03:34 PM