Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resurrecting a Bumblebee and me, A slackers attempt at keeping Pandora in the box
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 6 2023, 07:55 PM
Post #21

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

I think this is a survivor that should just catch up on deferred maintenance, then clean and wax it. Leave the chipped paint and wear marks as badges of honor to tell their stories and let the car proudly represent the marque as it is. Like Seinfields blue 356 cab.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 6 2023, 08:06 PM
Post #22

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 6 2023, 05:55 PM) *

I think this is a survivor that should just catch up on deferred maintenance, then clean and wax it. Leave the chipped paint and wear marks as badges of honor to tell their stories and let the car proudly represent the marque as it is. Like Seinfields blue 356 cab.

That's my intent although the paint on the left front fender is badly done (have receipt for the repair at the dealer in 1976) and the headlight covers are poor. I will definitely present those flaws when I pass it on.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 7 2023, 03:34 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 6 2023, 07:55 PM) *

yep.

its real special.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Feb 7 2023, 06:29 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 6 2023, 08:50 PM) *

A couple of clarifications. THis appears to be an original finish car. Everything is original.

Great to see the factory spoiler which was not made by VPC. VPS made an afermarket spoiler emulating the factory spoiler.

The side stripes look original like they have been on the car for 49 years. On my original paint BB they were also mounted high like that. As I understand it, the stripes were mounted on the dealer lot (assuming the customer did not reject them) because the cars shipped coated in cosmiline for the ocean voyage which would damage vinyl decals, so the side stripes could be mounted in any number of ways. The package o aftermarket stripes that dealers sold over the counter has mounting instructions, but that does not mean the lot boys followed them.

@JeffBowlsby Just to be clear, are you saying that the sail panel vinyl and accompanying britework is stock on this LE? I didn't realize that any LE had either of these features. I also thought the two rear trim pieces were supposed to be black.

BTW.... @Kelty360 , glad you were able to get the Mahles as well...that spare is cherry!

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 7 2023, 09:22 AM
Post #25

914 Wiring Harnesses

@Craigers17

No, Im not saying that about the Targa vinyl and bright trim. They were added along the way and are a previous owner modification, just like the Riviera wheels

What I am saying is that unless a full resto would be undertaken, some things are too hard to change back and the original patina would be lost. Sometimes its better to just leave unoriginal things be as they are. Change the wheeels - sure, easy. Leave the Targa vinyl and buggered paint for a full resto in the future.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 7 2023, 09:45 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

"heave ho" those wheels asap!! (LOL)

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 5 2023, 07:01 PM) *

So it's time to get off my ass and deal with this rare gem that has wandered into my garage. Much to the skepticism of some, it's an original 21,000 mile LE that was parked by the original owner in 1988 and didn't move til his heir's sold the car and the new owner moved it from Honolulu to Pt. Townsend, WA in late summer 2022. My somewhat accidental purchase is documented in a previous thread: Low mileage LE?

For those who don't know me, I'm a longtime 914 believer since purchasing a Sunflower Yellow 1.7 brand new in 1973. I've since owned a variety of these little cars, currently holding a '74 2.0 and the LE. I've also encountered a couple of major oral surgeries over the last year that have put me in a state of slow recovery that leads to my personal resurrection. I didn't really intend to buy the LE but that ship has sailed and I'm trying to bring it back to life for my own resurgence, with the help of some friends of course.

The car is very solid and straight with minimal corrosion, as verified by @Root_Werks and @Greenie . My plan at present is to get it sorted out mechanically and some cosmetics, without performing a complete restoration. I do not plan on keeping the car when the plan is done. So, anyone who's interested in a very original, documented and compete LE is welcome to contact me. In this thread I'll be posting a list of parts needed and pictures and descriptions of work planned or completed.

I'll end this long post with an obligatory pic so I don't get the dreaded TTIWWP emogi. Many more pics to follow as I progress.

+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Feb 7 2023, 10:10 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 20,100

Exciting and semi local to me. Congrats on this acquisition and best of luck on your continued healing and bringing this car back. Sympathetic (not over) restoration seems like the best course of action. I love the idea of a car that is mechanically in great shape with the cosmetics left mostly as is. I hope to see it someday and would forward to seeing it side by side with mine.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 7 2023, 10:14 AM
Post #28

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Get the blue car finished. Fixing 2 cars at once would not be my cup of tea. The credit card could become a puddle of melted plastic.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 7 2023, 11:27 AM
Post #29

914 Neferati

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 7 2023, 08:14 AM) *

Get the blue car finished. Fixing 2 cars at once would not be my cup of tea. The credit card could become a puddle of melted plastic.

The marathon blue 2.0 is fine. I drove it a lot last year. It’s currently at @914werke getting a new oil cooler seal.

The more I dive into the LE, the more interesting it gets. Discovering the original spare was a bonus, especially with the tire tag on the spare well. I’m just kind of starting at the front and working my way back. Lots of decisions on what to fix/replace and what to leave alone. Sorting through the various documents is another series of discoveries. The log book of fuel stops and oil changes is filled with clues about the car’s history. I’m hoping to talk to the son of the original owner. That could fill in some blanks.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 9 2023, 02:24 PM
Post #30

914 Neferati

I've hit the first crossroad in the LE resurrection. The front bumper had to come off because the frunk cable wouldn't operate; that's another story. My intent has been to repaint the bumpers, front valance and Mahles at the same time; leaving the rocker covers alone as they are in good shape and still have the original rivets. Some of the comments here have caused second thoughts about that plan. Here is the bumper off the car with the spoiler in the background.
Attached Image

As you can see there are spots of serious surface corrision.
Attached Image

Attached Image

I've soaked the nuts for the bumper top but when I went to remove them, the first one turned the stud along with the nut. I immediately stopped knowing I'd just pull the stud out of the rubber. The stud appears to be firmly rusted to the nut.
Attached Image

So my question is: do I just reattach the bumper and call the corrosion 'patina', or do I proceed with the plan to repair and paint the bumper and replace or repair the bumper top also? The bumper top is not pristine. It has light dimpling on the left end.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
troth
post Feb 9 2023, 02:48 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 20,305

Seems to me you could very carefully cut the nut off with a dremel without damaging the threads so you can save the bumper top in case that’s what you decide. Although it might look silly with a fresh painted bumper. Definitely want to stop that rust before it gets worse. I’d be surprised if there isn’t some Swiss cheese behind the bumperettes after blasting.
+Quote Post
troth
post Feb 9 2023, 02:52 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 20,305

Looking at the pictures it might not even be worth saving that bumper. Paint makes it easier than chrome, but it will require work either way. I’d lean towards putting it back on and driving as is. Source a solid core bumper and paint it when you’re ready. Probably for less than it will take to repair that one. Good news is the front clip looks great.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 9 2023, 03:05 PM
Post #33

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

I know there will be a lot of perspective on restore vs patina.

I'm kinda leaning toward your original plan with the Yellow parts:

Leave rockers alone as they're in good shape along with side stripes.

Paint F/R bumpers and valiances as well as wheels. Front spoiler needs some fixing anyway.

Just doing that would make this LE look 100 times better than it already does.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 11 2023, 10:40 PM
Post #34

914 Neferati

I'm kinda starting at the front and working my way back. Today I cleaned and conditioned the rubber seal for the frunk lid. The seal was in good shape, completely intact with a slight deformity at the left headlight bucket where the fender was damaged in 1976. The rubber is pliable but will need more conditioning.
Attached Image

Tried to get into all the nooks and crannies but these pics show more detailling is needed
Attached Image Attached Image

Same is true of the inner fender wells.
Attached Image Attached Image

Also worked on removing surface rust from the right headlight cover. It was heavily corroded as you can see in this pic. It still needs refinishing but it's a big improvement.Attached Image

I didn't even touch the underside of the frunk lid but it's impressive in it's original gloss black finish.
Attached Image

Learned a couple of things in the process today. It appears the original driving lights are still in place, with no chips or cracks. Also the original windshield washer connection for the spare tire is intact. In 1973, I thought that was a very cool application. I'll have to test it when I hook it up.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 12 2023, 12:11 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

@KELTY360

its a pleasure to look at these images.
you got to love a time capsule from a half a century ago.
its kind of hard to resist going the tonk and restoring it,
but there is something about it being so original.
the battle scars are part of its character. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

given it is so original whats the windscreen in it.
mind taking a photo of that etched data down in the bottom lhs?
there is a little thread going in the originality section covering original windscreens for 914s. am betting this baby is a good candidate for having one.

keep up the good work.
raising a stubbie to you from down here in north antarctica (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

ps, keep those rivieras i reckon.
even when you fix the mahles.
they kind of should stay with the car (adjacent to it that is).
they are part of the story about the vinyl and chrome on the sail panel!
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 12 2023, 12:23 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

@KELTY360 ..............and @JeffBowlsby .

i just noticed something in the photos above.
the horn is on the right hand side front.

and.......my 74 1.8 has it on the left hand side.
am pretty confident mine is original. 99% confident given the car.
and i'm thinking this bumblebee also might be very original.
so........did they change the position of the horn in 74?
mine is end of jan 74 build date.

i'm thinking of this in the context of all the chaotic changes along the way we have discovered with 74 model cars.

or did LEs have twin horns and one is missing?

i know you know the answer to this already mr. b! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 12 2023, 12:39 AM
Post #37

914 Wiring Harnesses

Dual horns on LEs, infact all 74s I am prettry sure, at least the harness supports both horns. This DR side horn has been replaced.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 12 2023, 12:42 AM
Post #38

914 Wiring Harnesses

Dual horns on LEs, infact all 74s I am prettry sure, at least the harness supports both horns. This DR side horn has been replaced.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 12 2023, 12:43 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 12 2023, 12:39 AM) *

thanks mr. b

i feel sure the lowly 1.8 of which i am the owner did not get the special "duwal" autobahn blast units you describe as coming standard on the LEs you blokes own.
i have only a single unit and i am fairly certain the original owner was not the type who liked to customize in order to be a loud american. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

but that does indicate what is going on in above photos. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

ah yes i am seeing that the lhs blast unit is black and not an original roadrunner "meemp meemp" type unit like the one on rhs which is like my single unit from the wile e coyote era.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 12 2023, 08:17 AM
Post #40

914 Neferati

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 11 2023, 10:23 PM) *

or did LEs have twin horns and one is missing?

Correct. I believe the horn on the left side was replaced when the fender needed repair, which was poorly done at the Porsche dealer. I have found the correct horn in the spare well and will be testing it to see if it operates. Otherwise, I'll be looking for one in the classifieds.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:13 PM