Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1974 1.8L engine fast idle then stalls, Fuel injection issues
tshih914
post Apr 27 2023, 06:50 PM
Post #221

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,426

Finally got some time to continue searching for any vacuum leaks and doing a proper tune up with new sparkplugs and seals for injectors and intake plenum gaskets. Going this weekend to Carlise Central PA swap meet to buy seals for 914. The old sparkplugs that I removed looks like cylinders 1,3,and 4 are heavily running rich with lots of soot (see photo.)Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tshih914
post Apr 27 2023, 06:57 PM
Post #222

After doing some additional research and running across a YouTube video of someone who was trying to revive a Toyota Fast and Furious race car that used E85 that was sitting for 8years I decided to get the F.I injector cleaning and testing machine from Amazon to check out my 914's fuel injectors. Will have to wait till Saturday May 6 to remove and test my injectors.Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Apr 27 2023, 07:04 PM
Post #223

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

now you are having fun. keep up the good work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
you will be an L jet expert by the time you finish. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Apr 29 2023, 08:37 AM
Post #224

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

Oh, WOW! an inexpensive fuel injector test bed that also says "ultrasonic cleaning" and "Reverse Flow"
Holy sheep shit, Batman!
I'm going to get one!!!

Till I read the customer review on the 6 cylinder model.
I do a lot of 6 cylinder stuff...

Lets see if it will copy over...

This product is definitely cheaply made. During first use hade to fix leaks everywhere and the pump burned up within 10 min. And started shorting the machine out. It clogged 4 brand new injectors up that I was using for just testing purposes on operating the machine. My guess there was trash in the system from factory assembly. Luckily I have a small repair shop and have seen this pump before on a yamaha hpdi. So after after a complete overhaul by me the machine works as it should with a much more reliable pump. The reason I went above and beyond with this machine is one I really wanted one for my shop and 2 Amazon didn't want to give me a return with direct replace and I don't know why because the company still hade plenty. They just wanted to give me a refund and then I could reorder.

The 4-cylinder model has a very good review, but that review "reads" like a technician wrote it. Spelling screw ups and bad grammar are completely correct for the type.
I should know...

I own a business and I have been contacted (through the US mail ONLY!) by a company that sells positive reviews. Some of my competition suddenly had 200 reviews instead of 40 and they had changed from below 3 to well above 4.5.
I don't trust simple reviews anymore...
That review looks "legit" to me.

I'll wait and see how well you do with it.

Please let us know how it worked.

I would have taken Amazon up on their offer at least one time before rebuilding it myself. Not sure why he didn't...

Personally, I'd run that first with nothing installed and clear any debris that may be present...
+Quote Post
tshih914
post May 6 2023, 06:44 PM
Post #225

Well your wish has just been granted.I took out all 4 injectors of which 2 inner seals look suspect and have new seals to reinstall after testing. The machine came with very little info on how to assemble and use but any mechanically inclined person can figure out how to set it up. The way in which the fuel rail gets sealed to the inlet of the injectors requires a rubber O-ring that gets compressed down by the fuel bar and O-rings were not provided with the unit. The posted photo shows a green O-ring that was used to seal the adapter to the top of the injectorand when I tried to replace the #2 injector with a 2.0L injector that O-ring seal was not in place or was distorted) I went to Harbor Freight and got a box of assorted size O-rings. As you will see on my YouTube pfan12000 channel there were some short videos where I had problems with leaks and such which were corrected. Overall the machine did as advertised and I am quite satisfied with the results of running those tests (02 setting is idle speed , 03 is medium speed, 04 is fast speed, 05 is acceleration, etc). It appears my #2 injector is not spraying like the other 3. I will try to sonicate that injector to see if it can be cleaned to work like the others.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tshih914
post May 6 2023, 06:58 PM
Post #226

QUOTE(tshih914 @ May 6 2023, 04:44 PM) *

Well your wish has just been granted.I took out all 4 injectors of which 2 inner seals look suspect and have new seals to reinstall after testing. The machine came with very little info on how to assemble and use but any mechanically inclined person can figure out how to set it up. The way in which the fuel rail gets sealed to the inlet of the injectors requires a rubber O-ring that gets compressed down by the fuel bar and O-rings were not provided with the unit. The posted photo shows a green O-ring that was used to seal the adapter to the top of the injectorand when I tried to replace the #2 injector with a 2.0L injector that O-ring seal was not in place or was distorted) I went to Harbor Freight and got a box of assorted size O-rings. As you will see on my YouTube pfan12000 channel there were some short videos where I had problems with leaks and such which were corrected. Overall the machine did as advertised and I am quite satisfied with the results of running those tests (02 setting is idle speed , 03 is medium speed, 04 is fast speed, 05 is acceleration, etc). It appears my #2 injector is not spraying like the other 3. I will try to sonicate that injector to see if it can be cleaned to work like the others.

The tests showed that injector #2 was spraying or leaking much more fuel than the other 3 so when given throttle that injector most likely flooded that cylinder and messed up the fuel/air ratio that stalled the engine.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 7 2023, 06:37 AM
Post #227

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Witch hunter charges $23 for cleaning and flow resting per injector. How much did that fancy machine, that seems to have failed out of the box, cost? Small flat rate priority box, $10 iirc, and done.
+Quote Post
tshih914
post May 7 2023, 10:57 AM
Post #228

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 7 2023, 04:37 AM) *

Witch hunter charges $23 for cleaning and flow resting per injector. How much did that fancy machine, that seems to have failed out of the box, cost? Small flat rate priority box, $10 iirc, and done.

The problem I had initially trying to set up the machine was getting the fuel rail feed to seat properly onto the injectors. The green O-rings I used were not right and I had lots of leaks that were fixed by using the brown Viton ones that were the right size as shown in the photos.
I paid $500 for CT200 from Amazon Prime. I used it to clean all 4 injectors and got them to behave the same through-out all ranges of flow rate (idle, medium, fast, and acceleration). Checking the web for new or re-manufactured injectors that would work for 1974 914-1.8 found them on PartsGeek for $62 each + shipping is going to cost at least $250 for a set of 4.

feel free to check out my latest short videos on my pfan12000 YouTube channel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 7 2023, 04:33 PM
Post #229

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

injector tester looks like a fun machine. ultrasonic cleaning bit is useful. if you have enough cars to worry about cleaning injectors! anyway, sounds like you diagnosed one of your major problems. getting closer to a good running Ljet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

i paid about $60.00 USD each for a set of bosch injectors 3.5 years ago.
a reasonable price for NOS. but make sure they are still in sealed plastic bags with pintel caps. check the rubber hoses. if they were stored well they should be good.

believe it or not the injectors were around $60.00 in 1990! i looked up an old invoice.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 8 2023, 03:41 PM
Post #230

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Rock Auto 1.8 Standard Motor Products injectors!
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:30 AM