Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New-to-Me 74 1.8l_Where to start on electrical issues
rcautox
post Feb 26 2023, 07:59 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,758
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I removed the male spade connector and tested each wire in the run position. The yellow/red stripe wire has no power, the yellow wire does at the location in the picture (under the pax seat).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 26 2023, 08:10 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Yeah don’t forget they are plugged like that because they both used to plug into the relay. So if you disconnect them you’re not gonna have power at all
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 26 2023, 09:25 PM
Post #23

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The whole idea is that the yellow wire carries the power to the yellow/red wire. (Unless I've got those backwards.) If you unplug them, then one of them won't have power and that is completely expected.

When they are plugged together, do you get power at the other end of the yellow/red wire? That end is in the 14-pin connector on the front of the relay board in the engine bay. If you get it there, plug that connector back in and check on the 12-pin connector on the right side of the relay board. One of those pins gets a yellow wire as well; and with the front plugged in that should get powered when the key is in the "start" position.

If that gets power, then plug the 12-pin connector back in and check the other end of the yellow wire, which should be at the starter.

--DD
+Quote Post
rcautox
post Feb 28 2023, 12:44 PM
Post #24

Thank you for the help! I have power at pin 1 on the 14 pin connector and, with 14 pin connector plugged in, I have power at pin 6 (male end for the 12 pin connector) on the relay board. I plugged in the 12 pin connector back and found I do not have power at the yellow wire at the starter. I thought it is a straight shot from the yellow wire in the 12 pin connector to the starter? So I have a bad connection at the 12 pin connector or??
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 1 2023, 08:38 PM
Post #25

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Sounds like either a bad connection there, or maybe the wire from the connector to the starter is bad.

--DD
+Quote Post
rcautox
post Mar 3 2023, 01:06 PM
Post #26

I pulled the cover off the 12 pit connector, gently pushed on the #6 pin to make sure it had a good connection-success! The starter is now engaging. Next-fuel and spark….

Thanks for helping track this issue.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2024 - 11:45 PM