Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> question about the bracket that holds the engine lid on firewall, mine appears to be cracked and easily bent now i have a gap
DRPHIL914
post Feb 27 2023, 06:53 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

i should have titled this : "another bonehead move"

Getting the car cleaned up for Werks after finishing the mechanical stuff, i had left my phone on the engine deck lid while doing clay bar to the trunk, fast forward 20 minutes , i forget where my phone is, i open the lid to reinstall the drain hoses and heater blower, and upon completing this i go to close the lid, but of course my phone had slid back to the window and into the gap at the window by the passenger side bracket, I never slam the lid i am slow and deliberate but still, it appears that with the phone wedged in there it pushed down the lid bending the bracket( at first i thought the lid might also now have a slight bend/warp to it) either way i removed the lid and found the bracket was bent down about 20 degrees and there is a crack, it looks old like a stress crack at the corner of the bracket.
so has any one else had this bracket bend or crack?? i suppose my only fix will be to have someone reweld and strengthen that corner, or replace it but that would be easy, is there a replacement bracket made by anyone??

Phil
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 27 2023, 07:03 AM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 27 2023, 06:53 AM) *

Getting the car cleaned up for Werks after finishing the mechanical stuff, i had left my phone on the engine deck lid while doing clay bar to the trunk, fast forward 20 minutes , i forget where my phone is, i open the lid to reinstall the drain hoses and heater blower, and upon completing this i go to close the lid, but of course my phone had slid back to the window and into the gap at the window by the passenger side bracket, I never slam the lid i am slow and deliberate but still, it appears that with the phone wedged in there it pushed down the lid bending the bracket( at first i thought the lid might also now have a slight bend/warp to it) either way i removed the lid and found the bracket was bent down about 20 degrees and there is a crack, it looks old like a stress crack at the corner of the bracket.
so has any one else had this bracket bend or crack?? i suppose my only fix will be to have someone reweld and strengthen that corner, or replace it but that would be easy, is there a replacement bracket made by anyone??

Phil

Very Common crack. I have welded a couple myself. I an sure you don't just pull the latch and let the lid fly but I have see some do this. I always hold my hand on the lid when pulling the latch knob to keep it from flying up and stressing the bracket.

Just have it rewelded. Sux but it happens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 27 2023, 07:27 AM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 27 2023, 08:03 AM) *

Phil

Very Common crack. I have welded a couple myself. I an sure you don't just pull the latch and let the lid fly but I have see some do this. I always hold my hand on the lid when pulling the latch knob to keep it from flying up and stressing the bracket.

Just have it rewelded. Sux but it happens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Rick,

Yes, i am very careful i always place my hand on the lid for sure, but with 4 DAPO's who knows, its a 48 year old car . i thought about disabling the torsion bars so they dont put as much downward pressure on the bracket but my phone getting wedged into there worked like a fulcrum and forced it down bending and cracking it.

I thought about getting a GT lid but then you dont run the rain tray which might not be a good idea in our region of the world

- hope all is well in MN, that new place of yours is awesome.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 27 2023, 07:31 AM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 27 2023, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 27 2023, 08:03 AM) *

Phil

Rick,

Yes, i am very careful i always place my hand on the lid for sure, but with 4 DAPO's who knows, its a 48 year old car . i thought about disabling the torsion bars so they dont put as much downward pressure on the bracket but my phone getting wedged into there worked like a fulcrum and forced it down bending and cracking it.

I thought about getting a GT lid but then you dont run the rain tray which might not be a good idea in our region of the world

- hope all is well in MN, that new place of yours is awesome.

Thanks, It has been a long road to get here. Anyway. My GT lid on the Alien is lighter and flies up harder than a stock lid with the rain tray. Just an FYI on that one.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Feb 27 2023, 07:34 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

I just welded those cracks (on both sides) of mine. I'm going to add a small gusset to the sides as allowed by clearance of the lid.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 27 2023, 08:17 AM
Post #6

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 27 2023, 08:34 AM) *

I just welded those cracks (on both sides) of mine. I'm going to add a small gusset to the sides as allowed by clearance of the lid.

i was thinking about that, wondering if adding some thickness to that would be possible with out interfering in the lids ability to mount and to close. Unfortunately i think i bent the lid slightly too, its hard to tell, and i dont really have time between now at thursday to get that done for me( currently i dont have a welder or access to one).

+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Feb 27 2023, 08:28 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had to replace both mounts on mine. They had already been welded in the corners AND screws were used to attach to the firewall. They had a hard life. It sounds like you can get away with just some minor welds.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Feb 27 2023, 08:34 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,023

Check post #48 here. Includes a clearance study (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...49463&st=47
+Quote Post
Lockwodo
post Feb 27 2023, 08:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 26,193
Region Association: Northern California

I made this modification to make the engine lid easily removable for working on the engine. Less stress on the hinges and better access:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Feb 27 2023, 09:17 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 27 2023, 06:34 AM) *

Yes, exactly...Thanks, you took all the work out of it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 27 2023, 09:24 AM
Post #11

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 27 2023, 09:34 AM) *
QUOTE(Lockwodo @ Feb 27 2023, 09:52 AM) *

I made this modification to make the engine lid easily removable for working on the engine. Less stress on the hinges and better access:

Attached Image
QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 27 2023, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 27 2023, 06:34 AM) *

Yes, exactly...Thanks, you took all the work out of it.

Attached Image

Wow thats great, hopefully i can find someone local that can do this for me, but thats a great write up and will be very helpful in directing someone else doing this repair!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 27 2023, 12:34 PM
Post #12

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

If the other one is solid, make a template so the one to be fixed can be matched. The picture of the hinge arm that’s slotted. Makes R&R the lid a easy one person task.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 27 2023, 01:13 PM
Post #13

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 27 2023, 01:34 PM) *

If the other one is solid, make a template so the one to be fixed can be matched. The picture of the hinge arm that’s slotted. Makes R&R the lid a easy one person task.

thanks, will do!
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Feb 27 2023, 07:38 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 19,389
Region Association: North East States

Restoration Design sells replacement brackets. They come with the nut on them as well. Just about to weld mine in as the old ones were trashed ...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 28 2023, 07:34 AM
Post #15

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 27 2023, 07:31 AM) *

Thanks, It has been a long road to get here. Anyway. My GT lid on the Alien is lighter and flies up harder than a stock lid with the rain tray. Just an FYI on that one.

When I put the GT lid on my big six, I found the factory torsion bars held the right rear corner up way too high even with the lid latched. So I took the torsion bar out on that side. Now it won't stay up at all.

My plan is to take a torch and heat the torsion bar up to lower the spring tension in it so the lid will open but not hold it up on the right side.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:51 AM