Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spark Plugs - WTF?, $50 per plug
DennisV
post Mar 4 2023, 08:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

Seriously. What is up with spark plug prices? I am painfully familiar with the Porsche tax, but $47 per plug from the "discount" Porsche Parts dealers? That's for 1 plug best I can tell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

This is for 1970 914-6. Very stock 2.0L with CDI ignition and MARELLI distributor. I'm searching the factory parts catalog numbers and what they superseded to:
  • 999-170-010-91
  • 999-170-186-90

Thought maybe I could go direct to Bosch, but neither the Porsche part numbers or the product locator by model bring up any matches. I did come up with some indirect matches for a Bosch WR5DC at $5 each.

Based on other threads, and what's available, the NGK BR6ES also seems like the reasonable path for $5. Am I missing something? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 4 2023, 08:28 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Because no one buys spark plugs from Porsche. Spend the 5 bucks on NGK or Bosch. No one will every see them.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Mar 4 2023, 09:36 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

As Ben said. I use NGK's in my 2.2 six. I have NGK 7s, 6s and BR5es. I run a little rich so I now run the NGK 5s (hotter plug).
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 4 2023, 10:18 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

$5 spark plug

$45 Porsche tax

The nickname stealerships didn’t get invented without reason!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Mar 4 2023, 11:18 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've watched spark plug technology change over the last 4 decades.

The real ticket now-days is iridium plugs for street based vehicles.

In a modern COP installation they can last 150-200K and when customers ask "When should I tune it up" I respond NEVER!

I tell them they should wait till the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) come on and a p030X code comes up and then change them all.

Many V6/V8 require removal of the upper intake plenum to access the plugs and a "spark plug replacement" can hit $600 on a bad one.

I have seen NGK take over the spark plug world. All Chevrolets use them, most Fords, 90% of the imports use them, etc

I prefer NGK over all other brands and in 40 years of active vehicle repair I've had 1 bad one out of the box.

Use the NGK at $5, they will not let you down.

I want to find an iridium version of that plug so I will never have to change them again....

Normally iridium versions are 2-4 time the cost of copper variants.

A quick check on Rock Auto for 75 914 2.0 is showing two Denso Iridiums available.
Part # 5306 and 4709 are available for 5.14/5.79 and part number 5306 has removable wire connections. This is most likely the one I'll use.
The copper NGK are 1.76 each.

If I cannot get NGK my second choice is Denso followed by Bosch.
Bosch nickels list at 96 cents!

This is most likely the plug the dealer is selling...

Just re-checked using 70 914-6 Bosch not available. Denso iridium 5307 is 5.79 and NGK copper is 1.76. I'd try the Denso first.

One issue with Iridium. They will survive a nuclear event, but they are brittle. Use EXTREME care when adjusting gap and ONLY bend the ground strap without touching the electrode. I DO NOT use a gap gauge for this. Feeler gauge with a light touch is how I go.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 5 2023, 06:35 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

+1 with Iridium, my former 356sc would foul #3 often, an Iridium fixed that for good. I can't remember the price per plug, but well worth it. 15 years later she still fires great

$50./ plug no way for me
+Quote Post
MSGGrunt
post Mar 5 2023, 06:57 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 27,119
Region Association: North East States

Do the Iridium's really work well in the older Porsche motors?

I have a 1985 2.8 DOHC straight six Mercedes M110 that doesn't like anything but old school non resistor copper plugs. Same for a 1983 Jaguar XJ6 I own. You try running any of the newer plugs and these motors will let you know they are not happy. Of course, finding non-resistor copper plugs isn't as easy as it used to be.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:32 PM