Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> license plates, what do you have on your front bumper?
wes
post Mar 18 2023, 06:26 PM
Post #21

wes

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

Attached Image I don’t like ‘em besides that hole in my bumper mad for better use.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Mar 18 2023, 06:39 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Illinois is a 2-plate state, but with the number of Teslas I see with only a rear plate, I don't think it is enforced very much. On the other hand, it is a valid reason for getting pulled over and then they can look for any other infractions.
Don't poke the bear...
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Mar 18 2023, 06:42 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 11,790
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Mar 11 2023, 12:45 PM) *

Never run a front plate on a car you need to drill holes in, but both 914's obviously came drilled so I also thought euro delivery front plates looked great... (and I guess this shows my opinion of P crests on 914's)

very nice pair of 914's, the plates look great. As do the crests!
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Mar 18 2023, 06:44 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Mar 18 2023, 04:39 PM) *

Illinois is a 2-plate state, but with the number of Teslas I see with only a rear plate, I don't think it is enforced very much. On the other hand, it is a valid reason for getting pulled over and then they can look for any other infractions.
Don't poke the bear...

I get your point. I just think the damn bear has better things to do. than hassle you for no front plate.
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Mar 18 2023, 06:45 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 11 2023, 03:28 PM) *

I got a ticket 40 years ago in WA for no front plate. I took it to court. The judge told me that durning WWII Washington decided to go to one plate but we’re debating if it should be on the front or back. The war ended before they made a decision, so they left the law alone. I had to pay the court minimum fee.

Thanks for sharing. good info to know.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Mar 18 2023, 07:56 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

My plate seems to be fine... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Mar 18 2023, 07:57 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Virginia is a 2-plate state, but I hated the boxy one on my Cayman S, and went with Europlate with exactly what's on my rear plate & registration.

I've been stopped 4 times for no plate - NEVER given a ticket. In fact one State Trooper & 1 county cop said they thought the plate looked appropriate on a Porsche.

Loaned my car to friend w/little money, cop pulled him on Christmas Eve for no plate (he was behind me driving his 2000 Corolla at 70mph) - lying State Trooper also gave him a ticket for 83 in 65. My friend knew nothing of the plate - I had to get attorney for him.

My attorney said in VA if you have what is on your registration, "VA" and current stickers, you can have them on a piece of cardboard and be legal.

Judge refused to rule, dismissed case, gave friend driving school after my testimony of truth.

Still - in VA a ticket for no front plate is NOT a moving violation, is ONE point, and a $35 fine.

I know many owners of cool cars, Vettes, Porsches, old cars - who refuse to put them on, and never get stopped. I also hear if your car does not have mounting bracket for a plate, and it damages cosmetics to put one on - they will not ticket you.

HTH with Virginia members.....

GN

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1679191076.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1679191077.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Mar 18 2023, 08:19 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

down here we must have front plates.
always have.

cops do more than cruise behind you to check the license plate numbers.
always have. stake outs. etc since the dawn of time.

these days -
its for all the speed cameras.
license plate recognition software.
the bastards used it during our world record bs lockdown over the vid.
they just pinged you with their in car camera from either direction.
didn't pull you over.
sent you the violation in the mail for the quarantine breach and fined you.

one thing you have on your side is you can probably resist all this stuff via the constitution or whatever it is you guys use to defend your rights.
we got no protection down here.

on the + side i have always had good plate numbers on the 914.
my old ill. plates were RR _ XXXX. ronny raygun. loved em.
now i got NME -XXX. new musical express. love em. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
but i got to admit, it would be better without them.
i run the newer slim line euro plates on my other cars.
look good. totally legal. reg. office offers them. you just got to pay more!
the best thing about the slimlines is they are sans the idiotic state slogans.
you know the thing. victoria - the moron state. victoria - down the dunny. etc
govt. has ways of making you pay and increasing revenue if you don't want to be a mass moron. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 19 2023, 05:45 AM
Post #29

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Here in Texas front plates are mandatory, and if you get stopped they will give you a ticket for not having one. The exception are antique and classic plates.

One of the reasons for it is so they can use the front plate for a lidar target. Lots of new cars don't have a flat place on the front to reflect the laser. It also is used for the toll road billing. They take a picture of your plate, and send you the bill.

I run a front plate because I don't want the hassle of dealing with the cops. But there are lots of people out there that don't install them, so I don't know how much enforcement is done on it.

+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Mar 19 2023, 08:35 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I didn’t feel right installing a metal bracket and license plate on my fiberglass bumper so I went to the sign shop and had it printed on a vinyl bumper sticker.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
burton73
post Mar 19 2023, 12:54 PM
Post #31

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

The front of #41

Bob B

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 19 2023, 02:48 PM
Post #32

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Nothing on my 914's but I'm not going to worry about it. A cop would need to be driving a Go Cart in order to see if I had a front plate or not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Mar 20 2023, 07:40 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

This plate was with car when I got it :

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Mar 20 2023, 12:51 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Mar 19 2023, 06:35 AM) *

I didn’t feel right installing a metal bracket and license plate on my fiberglass bumper so I went to the sign shop and had it printed on a vinyl bumper sticker.

Great idea! I know some states are going to this, I never thought to have a sign maker duplicate it to a bumper sticker.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 20 2023, 04:26 PM
Post #35

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I mentioned this is Post 6, but here is a picture of the actual "plate" I received. It is made of a heavy vinyl and should last. I prefer not to install a front plate, but in the event I should get stubbed, I have a Plan B. I know nothing abut the company other than I found them on another car-site. I think I paid less than $100 delivered; hard to recall.

Looking at it, really for the first time, the CALIFORNIA looks a bit wonky. I might email them and send them the picture and see what they have to say.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 25 2023, 06:41 PM
Post #36

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2023, 04:45 AM) *
Here in Texas front plates are mandatory, and if you get stopped they will give you a ticket for not having one. The exception are antique and classic plates.

One of the reasons for it is so they can use the front plate for a lidar target. Lots of new cars don't have a flat place on the front to reflect the laser. It also is used for the toll road billing. They take a picture of your plate, and send you the bill.

I run a front plate because I don't want the hassle of dealing with the cops. But there are lots of people out there that don't install them, so I don't know how much enforcement is done on it.
Interestingly, I've been getting toll road bills from a place called TxTag. They claimed a vehicle with my California plate# skipped out on paying a toll charge sometime back in 2022.

1. I've never been to Texas.
2. My 1960s era black retro plates with yellow numbers are still in my safe - never been installed on my car, which has been in a restoration shop since 2019.

After receiving the 1st bill, I spoke with a TxTag employee on the phone. When I asked what the plates looked like on the offending vehicle, they told me they were white with dark numbers. Well, therein lies the error, those are not my plates (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Also, the offending vehicle's plates are '64911' ... mine are '64 _ _ 911' (note 2 empty spaces between the 64 & the 911. Unfortunately, the CA DMV omitted the 2 empty spaces my title and registration documents, so TxTag keeps coming after me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

I've also responded twice via mail, including pictures of my plates. I told them that I'm going to invoice them for my time if they don't stop sending me bills (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Jim C
post Mar 27 2023, 08:10 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 23,294
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2023, 05:45 AM) *

Several years ago during Boxtoberfest in the TX Hill Country, the sheriffs were out in force knocking off Porsches for not having a front plate displayed. I've avoided the temptation to get rid of the front plate on my Boxster since then.
+Quote Post
Jim C
post Mar 27 2023, 08:16 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 23,294
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 25 2023, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2023, 04:45 AM) *

Interestingly, I've been getting toll road bills from a place called TxTag. They claimed a vehicle with my California plate# skipped out on paying a toll charge sometime back in 2022.

1. I've never been to Texas.
2. My 1960s era black retro plates with yellow numbers are still in my safe - never been installed on my car, which has been in a restoration shop since 2019.

After receiving the 1st bill, I spoke with a TxTag employee on the phone. When I asked what the plates looked like on the offending vehicle, they told me they were white with dark numbers. Well, therein lies the error, those are not my plates (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Also, the offending vehicle's plates are '64911' ... mine are '64 _ _ 911' (note 2 empty spaces between the 64 & the 911. Unfortunately, the CA DMV omitted the 2 empty spaces my title and registration documents, so TxTag keeps coming after me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

I've also responded twice via mail, including pictures of my plates. I told them that I'm going to invoice them for my time if they don't stop sending me bills (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I run year of manufacture plates on my 1972 MG Midget and received a bill for a toll in Dallas (I'm near San Antonio). The photo showed my 1972 TX plates on the front of a 1990 Japanese POS. I called the toll folks and the DPS and discovered that TX in those years issued multiple plates with the same number. Unbelievable! They were familiar with this scofflaw and relieved me of the charge. This was probably 6 or 7 years ago and nothing since. Perhaps they confiscated the plates.
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Apr 14 2023, 09:30 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 20,484

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 20 2023, 03:26 PM) *

I mentioned this is Post 6, but here is a picture of the actual "plate" I received. It is made of a heavy vinyl and should last. I prefer not to install a front plate, but in the event I should get stubbed, I have a Plan B. I know nothing abut the company other than I found them on another car-site. I think I paid less than $100 delivered; hard to recall.

Looking at it, really for the first time, the CALIFORNIA looks a bit wonky. I might email them and send them the picture and see what they have to say.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Is this removable or a one time application? I'm thinking like a vinyl wrap type of install.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 15 2023, 07:29 AM
Post #40

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I don't know. I certainly appears to be made of a heavy vinyl, so maybe.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:57 PM