Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creamsicle at Beverly Hills Motor Cars, Original Owner 55k miles
Dave_Darling
post Mar 13 2023, 04:54 AM
Post #21

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(davep @ Mar 12 2023, 07:33 PM) *

29 constant and I forget the meaning right now

I think it means "Karmann factory".

..... Oh, and this car is at BHCC? Yeah, I'd tread very carefully around it, and check extra-extra thoroughly. We've seen what kind of cars they describe as "solid" and as "buildable" before....

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Mar 13 2023, 05:56 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 13 2023, 04:54 AM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Mar 12 2023, 07:33 PM) *

29 constant and I forget the meaning right now

I think it means "Karmann factory".

..... Oh, and this car is at BHCC? Yeah, I'd tread very[/b[ carefully around it, and check extra-extra thoroughly. We've seen what kind of cars they describe as "solid" and as "buildable" before....

--DD

don't think 29 means karmann factory.

ghias were made at the karmann factory.
use the same systemic VW vin number system as 914s.
they often have either 20, 21 or 22 in that location in the Vin number sequence.
i've seen some other numbers like 27 on some ghias in the same spot.
the beetle cabrios at karmann also got a 2* number in the same spot that could vary.
it means something else. but i don't know what.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

there is something about the 9 on the karmann plate or VW production number.
have to look that up again.
EDIT. ah yes - 9 means karmann factory on the production plate number and then there is the weird thing of the first number of the last three being assigned to the different models to begin the sequence count of daily production.

loony VW number accounting.

EDIT [b]@Dave_Darling

ok i found it again, i stumbled on it a few years ago going over VW part number codes.

the Vin number system is designed around accounting for beetle production.
which routinely exceeded 100,000 cars per model year easily.
and also to take into account when a million cars came up. which was a reality with beetles.

so the 2 of the 4th and 5th numbers in the 914 VIN is there on all VWs.
it is used from 1970 on. when the system was introduced in the 60s they always used a 1 first up.
if in any model year production exceeded 999,999 then the 2 clicked over to a 3 and the rest of the numbers zeroed again. basically when it came to beetles it was a linear count. but it started at 2,000,000 from 1970 on. because they had starting using the system in the 60s. so you could have ended up with a 78 beetle theoretically having the same vin number as a 68 beetle. this possibility was cancelled out by starting with 2,000,000 as the beginning count in 1970.

i don't think any other models VW made ever clicked the 2 over to a 3 except maybe buses? not sure. but the beetle did i believe.

when it came to the karmann products i don't think any of them ever exceeded 99,999.
maybe the beetle cabrios. but i don't think even they did.
so it just stayed as a 2.

i 'm not sure about the 9, but i think because it was not on the cards these cars would get to 100,000 they were assigned a number in order to take up the required number positions in the standardized Vin number.
its the same with ghias and cabrios. they seemed to be using an assigned number there before the last 5 numbers. the number is different than the 914s and may not be a linear count on production like the beetle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:05 PM