Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Installing Rear Sway Bar Drop Link Bushings
Tom1394racing
post Mar 16 2023, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,039
Region Association: North East States

I need some advice. I have been trying to install the white plastic rear sway bar bushings that I purchased from PMB into the dop links with zero success. I read all the posts on boiling the bushings and lubricating them generously with dish soap. I followed these and used my bench vise to try to press the bushings into the drop link but the bushings just seem too big and always tear when forced in. The one in the photo that I managed to install is torn in the middle.

I have installed many plastic bushings successfully in the past on my 911 projects, but these bushings just seem to be too big. My 911 experience has taught me that often aftermarket parts do not fit and that it is may be necessary to switch to a different supplier.

Has anyone installed these successfully in the recent past? Which suppliers have bushings that will fit the drop links?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 16 2023, 01:40 PM
Post #2

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
They can be tough.
Ive also found the aftermarket ones have different ...properties, than the ones you buy currently with a P part #.
Search for a thread using my UID where I show a tool I made, not necessary but makes the job of MANY bush installs much easier. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 16 2023, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

first time is hard with new bushings. yes boiling in water can help, with some lube , lst time i used a large vice grip or c-clamp to squeeze it on the sway bar and on the lower connection on the shock retaining bolt i think i just used a 2x4 as a lever to push it on.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 16 2023, 02:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 17 2023, 08:51 AM) *

first time is hard with new bushings. yes boiling in water can help, with some lube , lst time i used a large vice grip or c-clamp to squeeze it on the sway bar and on the lower connection on the shock retaining bolt i think i just used a 2x4 as a lever to push it on.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) exactly what I did,used the biggest "C" clamp I had .
+Quote Post
brubou
post Mar 16 2023, 08:33 PM
Post #5

Bruce Bouchard

Member No.: 19,716
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I remember doing those! Such a PITA! So basically boiling them didn’t work for me, freezing them for days did. Don’t forget to make sure you put them in facing the opposite way on each end. When it’s time to install the link itself use my wrench method outlined here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2483681
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 16 2023, 08:47 PM
Post #6

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

search is your friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2818275
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Mar 16 2023, 09:18 PM
Post #7

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865
Region Association: Southern California

I just did these.

Used a huge C clamp.

Used a heat gun to soften them

Used some red grease too to get them to slide. Dawn dish soap and water is pretty slippery too and will evaporate better than the grease ever will.

The C clamp will slip off and it will fight you but slow turns, steady pressure, heat and patience with some cursing will get them on.
+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post Mar 17 2023, 07:50 AM
Post #8

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered another set of these from Porsche. I added in 2 extra for learning. Hopefully they will be more compliant.

I did check my one of my 911 drop links which take the same bushings. They are about 1 mm larger in ID than the 914 drop links. Probably explains why my 911 experience with these was so much easier.
+Quote Post
roundtwo
post Mar 17 2023, 01:25 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 23,905
Region Association: Central California

Those can be super frustrating.
I took the easy way out after watching the first one crumple on itself during install. About $40 bucks for the local tire, alignment, brake shop to press them in.
+Quote Post
bknvick
post Mar 17 2023, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 27,153
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Mar 16 2023, 02:34 PM) *

I need some advice. I have been trying to install the white plastic rear sway bar bushings that I purchased from PMB into the dop links with zero success. I read all the posts on boiling the bushings and lubricating them generously with dish soap. I followed these and used my bench vise to try to press the bushings into the drop link but the bushings just seem too big and always tear when forced in. The one in the photo that I managed to install is torn in the middle.

I have installed many plastic bushings successfully in the past on my 911 projects, but these bushings just seem to be too big. My 911 experience has taught me that often aftermarket parts do not fit and that it is may be necessary to switch to a different supplier.

Has anyone installed these successfully in the recent past? Which suppliers have bushings that will fit the drop links?

Attached Image
I installed the same bushings with trouble at first but after much frustration decided to try heating carefully with heat gun and pressing into place with a large C Clamp also using the same procedure minus the heating to install them onto the ball studs and sway bar., don’t forget to grease. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
BK

+Quote Post
Tom1394racing
post Mar 24 2023, 10:52 AM
Post #11

Here is an update. I was finally able install the Porsche bushings with lots of heat, lube and persuasion. The Porsche bushing is about 1 mm smaller in diameter than the aftermarket bushing and that made the install a little easier but still took a fair amount of muscle to get the final lip edge through. Thanks to all who responded.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:11 PM