Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Engine Time!, First drive on 4/23/23!
mlindner
post Mar 18 2023, 08:56 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What a great new service to the 914 community. That engine looks sweet. Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
OrangeBones
post Mar 18 2023, 09:19 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 24,914
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Congrats - Can’t wait to see it at Carlisle.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 19 2023, 06:27 PM
Post #23

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Bit of a hiccup as I spent 12 hours Friday helping a friend who I initially thought had just attempted suicide. Cancer patient. Several setbacks over 2 years. Fully disabled and fairly crippled by the disease. When I got there I was assured this was not suicide, but help was still needed. Talked her down for a bit, got her dog to a kennel and got her to the ER. Stayed there to make sure she talked to the crisis counselors and learned about a program to get people talking with someone immediately and not the 4-8 months it usually takes.

When I got home at near 11pm Friday night I was physically and emotionally zapped, and pretty much did nothing Saturday. But today I was able to get some work done.

In the 2 hours I was able to work I got the shifter bar out, grounds off, axle bolts out, fuel lines separated, throttle unhooked, Speedo unhooked. At this point I have to dump the engine oil, and remove the AN fittings for the remote oil cooler, and pull the clutch cable off. Then it should be ready to drop, maybe tomorrow or Tuesday depending on my workload.

New engine could get here as early as Friday, but could take till the end of the month to show up. I have most of the things I need but realized today I need 2 new cone screws for the shifter bar when it goes back in.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 19 2023, 06:33 PM
Post #24

En Garde!

QUOTE(echocanyons @ Mar 17 2023, 04:49 PM) *

This engine is pretty incredible, my son has the first one and seat of the pants feels at least 150hp. The EFI and feel of this engine is hands down the finest air cooled 4 cylinder option that exists for the 914..

Is your son using a remote oil cooler? I’d love to take this system out of my car, but wanted to talk with someone and see if it’s needed.

Zach
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 19 2023, 07:10 PM
Post #25

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 19 2023, 08:27 PM) *

Bit of a hiccup as I spent 12 hours Friday helping a friend who I initially thought had just attempted suicide. Cancer patient. Several setbacks over 2 years. Fully disabled and fairly crippled by the disease. When I got there I was assured this was not suicide, but help was still needed. Talked her down for a bit, got her dog to a kennel and got her to the ER. Stayed there to make sure she talked to the crisis counselors and learned about a program to get people talking with someone immediately and not the 4-8 months it usually takes.

When I got home at near 11pm Friday night I was physically and emotionally zapped, and pretty much did nothing Saturday. But today I was able to get some work done.

In the 2 hours I was able to work I got the shifter bar out, grounds off, axle bolts out, fuel lines separated, throttle unhooked, Speedo unhooked. At this point I have to dump the engine oil, and remove the AN fittings for the remote oil cooler, and pull the clutch cable off. Then it should be ready to drop, maybe tomorrow or Tuesday depending on my workload.

New engine could get here as early as Friday, but could take till the end of the month to show up. I have most of the things I need but realized today I need 2 new cone screws for the shifter bar when it goes back in.

Zach

Well done. Keep helping others. Keep near to her and be truthful......
God speed for her,
Matt

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Mar 19 2023, 07:52 PM
Post #26

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Sorry to hear about your friend, cancer sucks!

As for your motor, I’ve been telling my friends that the 914 should’ve come stock with 150 horses at the wheels, they are exponentially more fun with the right tires and brakes to go with!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Mar 20 2023, 05:44 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 23,209

Looks beautiful!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 23 2023, 07:54 AM
Post #28

En Garde!

The old engine is out.

I have to say I'm not 100% sold on the Quickjacks for dropping an engine. I needed about 3 inches more clearance then I had to get everything out cleanly. I made it work by angling the high spot so it cam out via the tail pipe cut out in the rear valence. I'll add some taller blocks when its time for the engine to go back in and it will be fine, but its kind of a PITA. Still better then jack stands, but I wish I had moved the Bus out of the way of my 2 post lift.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1679579659.1.jpg)
Engine and injection is out and resting on my Tangerine engine lifting cradle. Such a handy tool!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1679579660.2.jpg)
Some of you may remember me asking back in 2020 about when on earth an oil cap may have gone. My best guess at the time, after extensive (so I thought) searching all over the engine bay was that it had been torn up by the fan and the cylinders were now littered with bit of plastic oil cap. Well, I was partially right. It had been sucked up into the fan. And it has been on the spin cycle for the past 2.5 years. Thousands of miles later, there it is.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1679579660.3.jpg)
Its a little beat up, but nothing broke off it at all. The o-ring got displaced, but was easily pushed back into its groove. I could keep using it, if I had not replaced it and if the new engine didn't already have one. This will go on my trophy wall.

The crazy part of this is I searched and searched the entire nose of the engine. I looked with a flashlight. I felt around with my hands all throughout the tins under the fan and alternator nose. I thought I had felt inside the fan. I know pretty much exactly where and when the cap came off. It was during the drive to go check out a Bus that we did not end up buying. I noted my head temps were slightly higher on the way back and there was a new vibration in the engine at low idle speeds (like 700rpm). And then I noted the oil cap was missing as soon as I get home and popped the engine lid open.

The results of this were that I had head temps about 10-15 degrees higher then I used to have while on longer drives. All still within normal, just a little higher. Which also fit with my theory that the cap had been shredded by the fan and the debris were caught under the tins.

I have NO IDEA how the hell it stayed there. How it did not bounce out and get caught by the fan belt or chewed up by the alternator. But it clearly did not!

Anyway, my task for this afternoon is to split the engine and transmission. Inspect my motor mounts and make sure they are still good, and take off the stuff that I need (like the alternator) for the new motor when it comes in.

Zach

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 23 2023, 08:01 AM
Post #29

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That's amazing; 2.5 years of riding along in the fan housing and it never got kicked out. Glad it did not get shredded and cause damage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Mar 23 2023, 08:27 AM
Post #30

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

Don't forget the ground strap connected to the trans!
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Mar 23 2023, 08:34 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I call that hole the Abyss. I have lost many pieces of hardware down there never to be found again, at least until the engine is pulled. Gravity must be strong there, it seems to pull things in from all over.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 23 2023, 11:23 AM
Post #32

En Garde!

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Mar 23 2023, 10:34 AM) *

I call that hole the Abyss. I have lost many pieces of hardware down there never to be found again, at least until the engine is pulled. Gravity must be strong there, it seems to pull things in from all over.

I have a 13mm wrench that must have fallen down there from a prior owner that I found when I bought the car. I also have a 13mm socket from ages ago that I lost down there, that I rescued about a year later doing alternator work.

Zach
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 23 2023, 12:14 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

I guess that's why the VW version had a cage over the fan eh?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 23 2023, 12:36 PM
Post #34

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 23 2023, 11:14 AM) *

I think that was more because of people sticking their fingers in there while the engine was running.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/whack_3.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 23 2023, 12:41 PM
Post #35

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 23 2023, 01:36 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 23 2023, 11:14 AM) *

I think that was more because of people sticking their fingers in there while the engine was running.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/whack_3.gif)

Darwin screen......
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 23 2023, 12:53 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

Engine had to be running out of balance for the entire time!

I would purchase a screen if available and have thought several times of fabricating one.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Mar 23 2023, 01:11 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 23 2023, 12:53 PM) *

I would purchase a screen if available and have thought several times of fabricating one.

Business opportunity and group buy! I'm in.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 23 2023, 06:46 PM
Post #38

En Garde!

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Mar 23 2023, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 23 2023, 12:53 PM) *

Business opportunity and group buy! I'm in.

You can get them all day on ebay for $30. I'm not sure you could fabricate them much cheaper.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 23 2023, 06:56 PM
Post #39

En Garde!

Engine and transmission are now split. Alternator is off the engine. Engine bar is off. Until I get the new engine in I won't know what else I need - maybe nothing.

Started cleaning off all the grease and crap off the engine bar tonight. Made me wish I had DrEvil's new cleaning laser. There was a lot of fur on the engine bar - not sure if I smacked something or there have been critters in the garage.

New engine could show tomorrow. I'm really excited.

Zach
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 23 2023, 07:12 PM
Post #40

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 23 2023, 05:46 PM) *
You can get them all day on ebay for $30. I'm not sure you could fabricate them much cheaper.

$26

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403181399848?hash=...ABk9SR5Cv4JLiYQ
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:03 AM