Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Engine Time!, First drive on 4/23/23!
DRPHIL914
post Mar 30 2023, 06:19 AM
Post #61

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 29 2023, 03:57 PM) *

Don’t rush. Take your time and enjoy the process. People make mistakes with deadlines. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Mar 29 2023, 04:09 PM) *

WOW..that sure looks NICE
Congratulations on you new purchase
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 29 2023, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 29 2023, 06:06 PM) *

Yea Zach! 6 oil tank. Hmmmm….

Behind this crate is a /6 2.7 with CIS. Its going to eventually go into the bus, and the oil tank is from that.

Zach

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I agree with Mark , and i am guilty of this rushing thing making simple mistakes -
Zach, congrats this looks so awesome!! i have been talking with Eric about using the Holly system and those ITB's etc on my newer 2.1 in the car now, man that looks sweet!,

@rfinegan , i know you are having fun on your 3rd re-build etc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) but maybe this should be your next step if your current reassembly does not go as planned, but then again its more about the process and experience right?
- Zach, i cant wait to see it in the car an dhear it run- what do you have for muffler and headers?

Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 30 2023, 10:33 AM
Post #62

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Are ‘Nickies’ part of this build? Who’s heads did you use?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 30 2023, 12:47 PM
Post #63

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 30 2023, 08:19 AM) *

Zach, congrats this looks so awesome!! i have been talking with Eric about using the Holly system and those ITB's etc on my newer 2.1 in the car now, man that looks sweet!,
Zach, i cant wait to see it in the car an hear it run- what do you have for muffler and headers?

SSIs and Ben's quiet muffler.

It may change to headers, but I'd really like to get heat in this car.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 2 2023, 08:38 PM
Post #64

En Garde!

Lots of work this weekend.

Saturday:
Major tasks:
From the old engine:
  • Oil remote hose
  • A bunch of injection hose clamps
  • pulling the hardware off the clutch and pressure plate.
  • Fuel regulator
New engine:
  • Remove all electronics wiring
  • Remove shroud, doghouse, right side throttle body and right side tins
  • Reroute fuel hose, mount regulator, mark high pressure and low pressure ends.
  • Cut a channel in the right side heads for CHT.
  • Install oil remote
  • Replace tins, doghouse, throttle body.
  • Install new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing.
  • Unbolt engine from the pallet and get it mounted on jackstands (this was a bit sketchy, but mostly just muscled it up.)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680489529.1.jpg)
This is the new fuel hos routing. A little bit of a change from what PMB had designed but after checking with the designer the would make it easier to connect the fuel lines to the car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680489530.2.jpg)
Both hoses now exist where the need to connect to the chassis fuel hard lines. Red is regulated, blue is return.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680489530.3.jpg)
partial engine teardown to get to the heads so I could CAREFULLY grind in a groove for the CHT to lay in.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680489570.1.jpg)
Engine is off the pallet on jackstands. Clutch kit is on. Engine is mostly back together (the shroud is missing). This is where I stopped Saturday night. It was a full day, and I got a lot done!

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 2 2023, 08:59 PM
Post #65

En Garde!

Today was a shorter day. Took the GF out to brunch, and did not touch the engine till about noon. Had to start getting cleaned up to go get my kids at 4. I made the most of the time.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680490756.1.jpg)
Engine and transmission got a little getting to know you time. Also the engine came off the jackstands and on to the jack and lifting plate.

Put the Ford solenoid on the rear engine tin.

And then it was time to get the new engine into the car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680490756.2.jpg)
UP she goes!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680490757.3.jpg)
I got brunch and she helped getting the engine bolted into place. Winning!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680490757.4.jpg)
There it is! All snugged up into place.

At this point, my alarm went off letting me know it was time to shower up and go get the boys. When I got home this evening I went back out and got the clutch and speedo cables into place.

I went to get the axles in place and realized I did not have new CV gaskets. GRRRR! I'll go see if Tony at Translog has some tomorrow, and if I strike out I'll order some and the will be here soon. But I need those before I get too much farther on the underside of the motor.

I still have a good bit of work to do.

I'm going to need to take the pass side throttle body off again to get the CHT ring into place. Not horrible.

And I'm trying to figure out how Eric designed the ECU plate to go on. I know its supposed to go in the stock location, but for the life of me I can't get the holes to line up. So I have a question in to PMB to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Its possible it was not designed to work with a firewall back pad in place. If so I may mount it to the firewall, as I like my back pad.

I may go camping next weekend with the boys. But I should have the engine close to first fire-up by Friday. And if we don't go camping (landowner may be using the cabin for turkey hunting) I should have the car driving next weekend.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 3 2023, 01:09 PM
Post #66

En Garde!

Picked up the CV gaskets at Translog at lunch. Hopefully I'll still have enough energy after scouts tonight to get the axles hooked up to the transmission this evening.

Zach
+Quote Post
skota23
post Apr 3 2023, 02:23 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 26,993
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Oh cool,

I had seen a few pictures of this engine along with some hp figures. I think they where putting one in a 912 also. Can't wait to hear how it runs and sounds!

Steve
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 3 2023, 02:24 PM
Post #68

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That is coming along quite nicely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 4 2023, 09:08 PM
Post #69

En Garde!

Ticked a few more lines off the checklist.
Axles are attached. Clutch is adjusted. Shifter bar is back in and shifter is adjusted. Oil cooler is back in.

Attached Image
My 11 year old wanted to help tonight so I got the tools out he’d need to adjust the clutch cable, showed him how to set it up and the turned him loose while I sat in the drivers seat to test. About a million quarter turns later the clutch felt right. It was fun watching the clutch pedal move up a good bit in the cabin for such a tiny movement at the adjuster. This little voice callin up from under the car “hey how ‘bout now. Test it!”

There was about a pint of oil still in the remote cooler which promptly gravity fed itself on to the floor while I was reinstalling it. So now the garage also smells like fresh kitty litter. Could be worse!

Zach
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Apr 5 2023, 02:03 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Teach 'em when they are young. That's the way, but you already know this. Great project and I like many can't wait to see the results. Thanks for the updates
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 5 2023, 02:33 PM
Post #71

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great progress! Can't wait to hear about driving impressions with the big 4.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 7 2023, 09:30 AM
Post #72

En Garde!

My GF just had surgery so progress has been a little slower.

Since Tuesday I've gotten a bunch of stuff ticked off the project board.
  • ECU board is mounted to the car.
  • The new main harness is mounted.
  • 02 bung is welded into the SSI exchangers
  • Relay board harness WAS 90% done (now about 10% done)
  • muffler is hung
  • engine has oil in it again! 4 quarts now, but I'll need to add in another quart once it build pressure.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680881402.1.jpg)
Oil cooler back in place minus the fan packs. The fans draw a lot of power, and I'm not super sure I even need them. I just don't find myself sitting in traffic for long periods of time in this car. In fact, I do my best to avoid that! This is the same place the cooler has been mounted for the past decade or so, and it has worked. I know front mount is better, but I need the trunk space! This pick also shows the sandwich mount and the hoses routing along the valve covers.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680881403.2.jpg)
Chris's improved shifter console. The whole kit is so much better then stock IMO. Cover is on it now so you can't see it. Just looks stock except for the little tail sticking out the back.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680881403.3.jpg)
The 02 bung welded in. I don't TIG. I used my little Lincoln 140 set up in Flux Core mode. Local welding supply shop recommended I try this Flux Core SS wire instead of buying SS MIG wire and a new bottle of gas. It needed a lot of heat to lay in, and I did some practice repairing my cracked set of SSIs before I got the good set out and started cutting a hole in them. Not nearly as pretty as TIG, but it works - well even.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1680881403.4.jpg)
And then disaster!
I needed to add a wire to the 12 pin plug. When I took the plug out of the slot on the relay board it crumbled in my hands! Fuuuuuuuuck!

So I called Tony at Translog and Steve at Aircooled Racing to see if either of them has one I could scavenge off a trashed harness. Left a message for Tony, and he will get back to me.

Steve said he was pretty sure he had one, but was running out the door to go see a 97 year old friend who was not in great shape, and that's way more important then a plug off an old car. I'll give him a buzz Monday and drive over if Tony does not have one today. Its been a minute since I drove to Steve's shop, so I'm leaning towards that option just to go and see what he's up to these days.

I'm REALLY close to first start.
Need to get the SSI's in, hook up the fuel line (I'll likely do that today) and fix the relay board wire harness.

Also I want to pull the ECU board back out of the car and modify it slightly. As is, the firewall pad won't fit without putting some pressure on the ECU board. But if I am able to move on of the relays, the pad will fit a lot better. I'm using the 914Rubber pad that does not hold water against the firewall, and it blocks a lot of noise from coming into the cabin.

Zach
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 7 2023, 10:36 AM
Post #73

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good progress!

As for the wiring #@%!$, it happens. Can't recall the number of times a $5 part stopped work for days, sometimes a week +.

So close!

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 7 2023, 11:21 AM
Post #74

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 7 2023, 10:30 AM) *

And then disaster!
I needed to add a wire to the 12 pin plug. When I took the plug out of the slot on the relay board it crumbled in my hands! Fuuuuuuuuck!

Zach

I have one if you want it. Just pm me your address and I will send it tomorrow.

Clay
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Apr 7 2023, 11:47 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 18,763

I also have one on hand if needed.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 11 2023, 09:03 PM
Post #76

En Garde!

Progress slowed a little so I could go camping with my kids Easter weekend. Worth it!

Yesterday (Monday) I stopped by Aircooled Racing and got a new 12 pin plug. Then work and scouts so no further car stuff yesterday.

Tonight I put the full exhaust system on the car and hooked up the 02 sensor. I had bought a pigtail extender for the 02, but did not end up needing it. Yay! I also worked the backpad back into place.

I still need to:
Remake the 12 pin plug.
Attach the CHT sender.
Attach the injector plugs.
Pressurize the fuel and oil systems and look for leaks.
Start the car!
Set idle and drive!

Hopeful for first start before this weekends camping trip.

Zach
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Apr 12 2023, 07:25 AM
Post #77

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

If anyone needs this for their 914, it's you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.suncoastparts.com-50-1681305956.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Apr 12 2023, 07:48 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 4 2023, 07:08 PM) *

Ticked a few more lines off the checklist.
Axles are attached. Clutch is adjusted. Shifter bar is back in and shifter is adjusted. Oil cooler is back in.

Attached Image
My 11 year old wanted to help tonight so I got the tools out he’d need to adjust the clutch cable, showed him how to set it up and the turned him loose while I sat in the drivers seat to test. About a million quarter turns later the clutch felt right. It was fun watching the clutch pedal move up a good bit in the cabin for such a tiny movement at the adjuster. This little voice callin up from under the car “hey how ‘bout now. Test it!”

There was about a pint of oil still in the remote cooler which promptly gravity fed itself on to the floor while I was reinstalling it. So now the garage also smells like fresh kitty litter. Could be worse!

Zach

Please put some safety glasses on those young eyes while working in that position! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 12 2023, 10:57 AM
Post #79

En Garde!

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 12 2023, 09:25 AM) *

I've got a RTT, and am strongly considering putting it on the Bus when that's on the road.
Because what the Bus needs is to be more top heavy and carry around a big brick on the roof!
Zach
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 12 2023, 11:15 AM
Post #80

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

teasing...and I should talk...but this feels like a movie series of Zach putting another engine in his car.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 05:20 PM