Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Engine Time!, First drive on 4/23/23!
VaccaRabite
post Apr 12 2023, 11:24 AM
Post #81

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 12 2023, 01:15 PM) *

teasing...and I should talk...but this feels like a movie series of Zach putting another engine in his car.

Lets see...
The stock engine
The 2056 pre-rebuild
The 2056 post rebuild
2056 now with fuel injection
now the 2.3

So, yeah. I've done 5 significant engine changes for this car. Which sounds bad until you consider i've had it now for 18years (holy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) !!!) I think it was the last engine thread where my eldest son was probably a touch younger working on the car then Josh is on this one now.

Zach

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 13 2023, 09:59 AM
Post #82

En Garde!

I really thought I'd be starting it last night.
But after a 10 hour work day, running kids around, making dinner, etc... I got out to the shop around 9 and worked till I started fumbling with things like nuts and bolts. IE - an hour later then I should have been working.

But I got a good bit done before I realized I was basically asleep on my feet and went to bed.

CHT is in place. I had kinda been dreading this one, but its done. Its always the kinda stupid jobs that give me pause. But once I did it, it only took a few minutes.

Hooked up the last fuel connection. I'm not happy with how the fuel lines are set right now. Since the deadline I set for driving got deleted due to Amy's upcoming surgery, I may redo this. The engine side hard lines I have just don't work with the rubber hose routing and I want to remake them. So I think I will do that before I put gas back in the car again. More work.

I hooked up the injector connectors. Not to bad but they were not labeled so I had to be careful.

I also remade the 12pin connector harness. I reused my old harness, but cut back the old wires and remade them.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1681401572.1.jpg)
I'm kinda proud of this one. With custom wiring documentation is everything. 10 years from now I know I won't remember what I did. Instead of drawing the diagram and sticking it in my manual, I labeled the wires themselves by printing labels on heat-shrink tube.

I got the shroud back on and hooked up the throttle cable. There is one cheesehead screw that does not want to go back in as the standoff is slightly misaligned. I'll need to fix it tonight.

My main battery cable also needed some work. This is when how tired I was really started to show. I was fumbling with the battery connector and dropped the hold down nut. I probably just stood there looking into the engine bay for about 15 minutes. I was standing, but I wasn't really there. I tried to work for a little longer but gave it up and can't even recall what more i tried to do.

One last thing, that I realized pretty quick last night when I thought I was going to start the car - I don't have the hose I need to rig up the breather - and I can't find my breather can. I hope I still have mine - I may have given it away since I usually just close the vent lines. For this engine, PMB wants the breather vents run to a catch can during break in, so that's what I am going to do.

So, probably no start this week since I'm camping tomorrow though Sunday. I'm going to try and put a bow on the electrical stuff tonight and (if I have the energy) change the fuel hardline I don't like so my hose route is better.

Then the only things I have left to do is:
breather vents and catch can,
add gas, and check for leaks
Start it up!

Zach

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 13 2023, 07:22 PM
Post #83

En Garde!

No work tonight. It’s my eldest’s 15th birthday.
But I did find my old Empi breather box.

No one local had hose, so I gave up and bought some off Amazon.

One more night of work, should be done next week.

Zach
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Apr 13 2023, 07:32 PM
Post #84

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

oldest son 15... Now I am Old... Happy Birthday..
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 19 2023, 12:58 PM
Post #85

En Garde!

Finally a little time to work today over lunch.
Fuel and Electric is done. Most of my time was spend reforming a SS fuel hardline so it came out where I wanted it to - cutting off a few inches and putting a new bubble flare on it. Damn, stainless tube is hard to form. I ended up heating up the end right before I put the flare in to get it to shape a little easier. I'm jealous of everyone with pneumatic flare tools.

Need to run the breather system, then I can get ready for pressure checks and first start. But first I have to get back to work for a bit. Maybe first start tonight? Maybe.

Zach
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 19 2023, 02:22 PM
Post #86

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 19 2023, 02:47 PM
Post #87

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Getting closer!
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Apr 19 2023, 04:36 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 18,763

Video or it didn't happen
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Apr 19 2023, 05:22 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 13 2023, 07:59 AM) *

I really thought I'd be starting it last night.
But after a 10 hour work day, running kids around, making dinner, etc... I got out to the shop around 9 and worked till I started fumbling with things like nuts and bolts. IE - an hour later then I should have been working.

But I got a good bit done before I realized I was basically asleep on my feet and went to bed.

CHT is in place. I had kinda been dreading this one, but its done. Its always the kinda stupid jobs that give me pause. But once I did it, it only took a few minutes.

Hooked up the last fuel connection. I'm not happy with how the fuel lines are set right now. Since the deadline I set for driving got deleted due to Amy's upcoming surgery, I may redo this. The engine side hard lines I have just don't work with the rubber hose routing and I want to remake them. So I think I will do that before I put gas back in the car again. More work.

I hooked up the injector connectors. Not to bad but they were not labeled so I had to be careful.

I also remade the 12pin connector harness. I reused my old harness, but cut back the old wires and remade them.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1681401572.1.jpg)
I'm kinda proud of this one. With custom wiring documentation is everything. 10 years from now I know I won't remember what I did. Instead of drawing the diagram and sticking it in my manual, I labeled the wires themselves by printing labels on heat-shrink tube.

I got the shroud back on and hooked up the throttle cable. There is one cheesehead screw that does not want to go back in as the standoff is slightly misaligned. I'll need to fix it tonight.

My main battery cable also needed some work. This is when how tired I was really started to show. I was fumbling with the battery connector and dropped the hold down nut. I probably just stood there looking into the engine bay for about 15 minutes. I was standing, but I wasn't really there. I tried to work for a little longer but gave it up and can't even recall what more i tried to do.

One last thing, that I realized pretty quick last night when I thought I was going to start the car - I don't have the hose I need to rig up the breather - and I can't find my breather can. I hope I still have mine - I may have given it away since I usually just close the vent lines. For this engine, PMB wants the breather vents run to a catch can during break in, so that's what I am going to do.

So, probably no start this week since I'm camping tomorrow though Sunday. I'm going to try and put a bow on the electrical stuff tonight and (if I have the energy) change the fuel hardline I don't like so my hose route is better.

Then the only things I have left to do is:
breather vents and catch can,
add gas, and check for leaks
Start it up!

Zach

OK, need to know, how did you print on heat shrink tubes? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 19 2023, 05:35 PM
Post #90

En Garde!

@jamie
Any modern label maker can load cassettes of heat shrink tube to print on to.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 19 2023, 08:28 PM
Post #91

En Garde!

So close but no cigar tonight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1681957691.1.jpg)
Got the breather hoses into place. Had to scrounge for a nut, but only found a wingnut. That will work.

Cranked over the engine with no fuel to build oil pressure. But that was going to take a minute and I did not want to wear down my battery. So after making sure I did not have any oil leaks, I added gas to the tank and let the pump build pressure.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1681957691.2.jpg)
But there was no fuel pressure. Despite the fact that I heard the pump freewheel, then labor. So I turned the key off, and let it go through the prime cycle again. This time I was getting bubbles in the tank letting me know excess fuel was going down the return line. Still no pressure at the gauge.

So, I have the feed and return lines miss-plumbed. Which actually means I have the feed and return lines wrong under the tank. Fuck that, I'll fix it in the engine bay.

I also found that I have a slight weep coming from what is supposed to be the return line (but which is currently the feed line). I need to undo those hoses and switch them anyway. I'm tired, and I need to let fuel pressure bleed away anyway. So this will be a tomorrow job - IF I have time tomorrow. I'm a little grumpy about this. I was pretty damn sure I'd be posting a first start video tonight. But that's okay.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 20 2023, 06:04 AM
Post #92

En Garde!

Thinking about this with a clearer head this morning.
I’m going to pump the gas back out of the tank today.
I’m going to remove the other hardline from the engine bay and do the same mod to it that I did to the other yesterday. Cutting those nice stainless lines is painful, but it will make for a cleaner run. Then I can get the two fuel lines run in properly.

At 9:30am I have to take the puppy to get his balls cut off, so I may be too busy today to do any of this. But I’d like to get it done today if possible.

Zach
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 20 2023, 07:21 AM
Post #93

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

sorry to hear that- i somehow mislabled my lines when i pulled my motor out last ime and in reinstalling it had the same issue, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . but swap them around and hook it up , and get that thing roaring!! , it will happen soon enough, i know the feeling but one more day will is not a big deal but its like being a kid and having to wait an extra day to open your christmas presents, isnt it?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 20 2023, 07:44 PM
Post #94

En Garde!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtCGQ4mIVU

First start!

I let the 15 year old have the honor of starting it up.

I have a few issues to work out yet though.

Spec for this motor is 43psi of fuel. I can only get 40psi out of the stock regulator. Not sure if the regulator or the pump is the issue here. But the regulator is easiest to replace so that's what I will do.

I also think I have an exhaust leak on one of the cylinders. So I'll crank down a bit more on the nuts and see if I can't close that up.

Zach
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 20 2023, 08:07 PM
Post #95

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

A facet fuel pump is perfect for getting gas out of the tank thru the fill neck. I think in the long run you’ll be happier getting it right now than later. Enjoy that new power plant.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Apr 20 2023, 08:21 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 18,763

Huzzah! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
GBX0073
post Apr 20 2023, 10:42 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 25,007
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Awesome !!!!!!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 21 2023, 04:36 AM
Post #98

En Garde!

Ordered a new Holley fuel pressure regulator, more clamps and some more sae 30r9 hose. Hopefully it will all get here Monday.
Will be a very busy weekend and Amy goes back under the knife Tuesday (round 3). So I’d love to have this done by then. It may be premature, but I may try to wash the car today juuuuust in case I can drive it before the surgery date.

Zach
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 21 2023, 04:58 AM
Post #99

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

Congrats, Zach! Lots of nice weather ahead so you can enjoy it.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 21 2023, 07:51 AM
Post #100

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That started nice and easy. Congratulations to you and your son for having the honor of firing it the first time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:03 AM