Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT neighbor needed a Favor, New timing belts
Mikey914
post Apr 5 2023, 11:36 PM
Post #21

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Had a 951 with a manual boost controller. After setting the pressure in the heat of the day, the next morning it was easy to hit 28. 20 was the happy spot. Changed out the head gasket a few times. The belt was the easy part. Do change out all the bearings.

However, the clutch is its own special hell.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Apr 6 2023, 08:58 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

I mentioned before that the shop I used to help out at, just outside Boston, had a group of 6 guys with 944 Turbo's that all bought chips for the computers and had them installed there. Within 3 months, all 6 had come in for new clutches.

I had the shop owner wait till the 1 day a week I was going to be there and I'd start the disassembly for him and get as far as I could that day and the next morning he would pick up where I left off and complete the job.. It was a long time ago.. But doing 6 in a row made me not want to go near one again..
+Quote Post
Jack Standz
post Apr 6 2023, 03:45 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 23,644

Arnnworx.com makes a tensioning tool that costs about 1/10th the factory tool.

On a 944, guessing you got the tension right on the timing belt isn't a good idea. Yes, it's another special tool you won't use that often (although it works on the balance shaft belt too). But, who doesn't like tools? Get the tool. Use it.

While you're in there, inspect (or probably should just plan on replacing) the rollers and inspect the water pump. Replace any if even slightly suspect.

The 968 has a hydraulic timing belt tensioner, so the tensioning tool isn't needed except for the balance shaft belt. They also changed things so the clutch is a lot easier to replace than the 944s. And, of course there's another special tool available for replacing the RMS while you're in there replacing the clutch.

+Quote Post
brubou
post Apr 6 2023, 03:50 PM
Post #24

Bruce Bouchard

Member No.: 19,716
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Apr 6 2023, 05:45 PM) *

Arnnworx.com makes a tensioning tool that costs about 1/10th the factory tool.

On a 944, guessing you got the tension right on the timing belt isn't a good idea. Yes, it's another special tool you won't use that often (although it works on the balance shaft belt too). But, who doesn't like tools? Get the tool. Use it.

While you're in there, inspect (or probably should just plan on replacing) the rollers and inspect the water pump. Replace any if even slightly suspect.

The 968 has a hydraulic timing belt tensioner, so the tensioning tool isn't needed except for the balance shaft belt. They also changed things so the clutch is a lot easier to replace than the 944s. And, of course there's another special tool available for replacing the RMS while you're in there replacing the clutch.

I have and used the tool. It was still too tight for the balance shaft belt.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 6 2023, 07:58 PM
Post #25

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Got pretty good at setting the tension. Start a little heavy. You will hear the wurr, like a supercharger. Back it off until it just stops. Got over 80,000 miles on it did this 3 times.
No tool really needed.
+Quote Post
Jack Standz
post Apr 7 2023, 02:54 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 23,644

So, yes i believe the older version may need recalibration from time-to-time. The newest version of the tensioning tool comes with a way to calibrate it before you use it.

Of course, your car, you do what you want with it. So, maybe it's just me, but I actually use feeler gauges when I set valve lash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 7 2023, 06:29 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

No tool for me. Belt twist works. The 928s can be more complicated but I opted for the porken tensioner update so it makes it easy.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 02:27 AM