Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Pump, How to remove/reinstall
mzapisek
post Mar 21 2023, 07:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,188
Region Association: North East States

My 73 1.7 has the fuel pump in the original location under the battery tray. I just finished reinstalling the engine and the pump is now leaking from what appears to be a bad O-ring from the research I have done. My pump is mounted with what I assume is the original thru body hardware. I was able to reach up and behind to reinstall the pump while the engine was out. There is no access now that the engine is back in. What am I missing here? I would think a service item like a fuel pump wouldn't require the engine to be removed. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Mar 21 2023, 08:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mzapisek @ Mar 21 2023, 05:59 AM) *

My 73 1.7 has the fuel pump in the original location under the battery tray. I just finished reinstalling the engine and the pump is now leaking from what appears to be a bad O-ring from the research I have done. My pump is mounted with what I assume is the original thru body hardware. I was able to reach up and behind to reinstall the pump while the engine was out. There is no access now that the engine is back in. What am I missing here? I would think a service item like a fuel pump wouldn't require the engine to be removed. Thanks.

Replace the pump and move it to the front under the steering cover. Much info from a search here on site. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Mar 21 2023, 10:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mzapisek @ Mar 21 2023, 06:59 AM) *

I replaced the fuel pump, rubber mounting hardware, & intermediate hoses with the engine in the car. It really takes two people to replace the rubber mounts - one on top & one underneath. Once the rubber mounts are installed, then you can go it alone from below. Another possibility is to hold the rubber mounts in place with duct tape while you secure them under the battery tray. This is what I did. My old fuel pump was leaking too. "73 1.7 here too.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Mar 21 2023, 10:16 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Hello @mzapisek
can be done with engine installed. Here is a picture to give you idea. The original fuel pump is good to keep it stock but most members just use the late fuel pump. Late pump will have less fuel lines specifically for the return lines.

yellow car installed pump with engine out

Attached Image

red car installed pump with engine in

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 21 2023, 10:19 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Or mimic the 75-76’ pump/filter placement behind the frunk firewall. Easy to access the filter, pump, hoses and clamps. R&Ring the rack cover is a pain. The filter? A potential fuel bath. Just buy a used 75-76 OEM cover/pump mount piece from someone’s part stash.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Mar 21 2023, 10:29 AM
Post #6

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

Also replace the plastic fuel lines with stainless ones if you have not done that already.
+Quote Post
mzapisek
post Mar 21 2023, 11:29 AM
Post #7

Ok. Got old fuel pump out and realized i was confused about the attachment. It was the hardware that held the battery tray that needed to be accessed from behind. So access isnt an issue. Ordered a new pump (bosch unit) and will decide whether to go firewall or up front. Anyone install the new pump in the original location? I have never had a hot start problem.
+Quote Post
mzapisek
post Mar 21 2023, 11:33 AM
Post #8

All new stainless lines and hoses just installed front to back. My tunnel lines were actually in great shape but I feel much better about updating. Not sure why my pump crapped out. Could the O-rings have dried out from sitting a year with no fuel in system?
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Mar 21 2023, 12:00 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(mzapisek @ Mar 21 2023, 10:29 AM) *

Ok. Got old fuel pump out and realized i was confused about the attachment. It was the hardware that held the battery tray that needed to be accessed from behind. So access isnt an issue. Ordered a new pump (bosch unit) and will decide whether to go firewall or up front. Anyone install the new pump in the original location? I have never had a hot start problem.

I have with no problems whatsoever. What battery tray hardware?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mzapisek
post Mar 21 2023, 12:09 PM
Post #10

I removed my battery tray and supports when I had the engine out and was getting all the tins powder coated. Held in place with (4) bolts thru body.
+Quote Post
brubou
post Mar 21 2023, 12:38 PM
Post #11

Bruce Bouchard

Member No.: 19,716
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

but the battery tray and support are welded in... can you post a pick of your battery holding set up?
+Quote Post
mzapisek
post Mar 21 2023, 01:20 PM
Post #12

My car

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 21 2023, 01:35 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(brubou @ Mar 22 2023, 07:38 AM) *

but the battery tray and support are welded in... can you post a pick of your battery holding set up?

Not always as some folks replace them and bolt them back in ,don't see an issue with that ,my car has a custom tray I built and bolts in .
I find this is handy for several reasons in my situation.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:15 PM