Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paying it forward, Raising funds for blood cancer
vintage914racer
post Mar 21 2023, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,473

We all have different reasons for getting into cars and 914s in particular. My passion for Porsches comes from my dad. From a very young age, I remember riding in between my parents in dad's 914-6 as we adventured around the midwest, and in later years attending vintage races at Road America every summer as a family. Unfortunately, dad battled both Leukemia and Lymphoma and passed away at just 46 years old. My enduring passion for cars is because of dad, and every time I hop in my 914 I think of him.

In honor of dad I'm running for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's (LLC) Visionary of the Year, a 10-week campaign focused on raising funds and awareness for blood cancer. I've set an ambitious goal of raising $150k, and now just shy of 2 weeks in I'm bout 15% of the way there. I have a variety of fundraising tactics I'm employing to reach my goal, and naturally one avenue is reaching out to my various networks for support. If you or someone you love has been impacted by blood cancer such as Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hodgkin's Disease, or Myeloma, would you consider making a donation to the campaign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQ-E1mAKxw

You can learn more about my campaign and make a tax deductible donation at www.TeamTaccio.com. If you've read this far, thank you!

Side note, I have a fair amount of 914 parts in the garage that I'll be listing in the classifieds forgoing payment in lieu of a donatoin to my campaign of the buyer's choosing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 21 2023, 11:53 PM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Mar 21 2023, 10:27 PM) *

We all have different reasons for getting into cars and 914s in particular. My passion for Porsches comes from my dad. From a very young age, I remember riding in between my parents in dad's 914-6 as we adventured around the midwest, and in later years attending vintage races at Road America every summer as a family. Unfortunately, dad battled both Leukemia and Lymphoma and passed away at just 46 years old. My enduring passion for cars is because of dad, and every time I hop in my 914 I think of him.

In honor of dad I'm running for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's (LLC) Visionary of the Year, a 10-week campaign focused on raising funds and awareness for blood cancer. I've set an ambitious goal of raising $150k, and now just shy of 2 weeks in I'm bout 15% of the way there. I have a variety of fundraising tactics I'm employing to reach my goal, and naturally one avenue is reaching out to my various networks for support. If you or someone you love has been impacted by blood cancer such as Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hodgkin's Disease, or Myeloma, would you consider making a donation to the campaign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQ-E1mAKxw

You can learn more about my campaign and make a tax deductible donation at www.TeamTaccio.com. If you've read this far, thank you!

Side note, I have a fair amount of 914 parts in the garage that I'll be listing in the classifieds forgoing payment in lieu of a donatoin to my campaign of the buyer's choosing.

This is a link to Ben's Dad's car. I wonder if any of you remember when it came to my place. Very special meaning to a great guy. I got to meet his Mom and family. He means every word he said.

This is 914 related. I wonder if this can be moved to the Garage.

http://www.area51werks.com/sub-zero-abduction.html
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Mar 22 2023, 07:53 AM
Post #3

[/quote]

This is a link to Ben's Dad's car. I wonder if any of you remember when it came to my place. Very special meaning to a great guy. I got to meet his Mom and family. He means every word he said.

This is 914 related. I wonder if this can be moved to the Garage.

http://www.area51werks.com/sub-zero-abduction.html
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, Rick, for suggesting the move to the garage.

I was up in your neck of the woods two weekends ago, driving through towards Lutsen, and thought about the frigid trip to Duluth to drop the car off. This most recent trip through wasn’t too cold, rather it was very snow filled.

I didn’t get many miles on the blue car last season. Hoping I more than make up for it this driving season.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 24 2023, 04:31 AM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

We moved across the big lake to Superior. Next time you are up this way come see our new house. Your fund raiser is a great cause with a very special meaning. Just keep bumping this thread. There are a lot of caring and generous souls on this forum. Not everyone sees the thread. I just read through a great build that was started in 2020 that I had never seen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 24 2023, 06:19 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Thanks for letting us know, more than happy to donate.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Mar 24 2023, 01:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

It was great to hear that your dad lived life to the fullest after battling cancer.

Good luck with the fund raising.

+Quote Post
Dion
post Mar 24 2023, 04:13 PM
Post #7

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Best of luck with your fund raising. My sister in law has been battling Lymphoma. Currently in remission.
Donation given.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 24 2023, 05:04 PM
Post #8

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks for sharing this story and tackling the ambitious fundraising effort - two people I've known for many years are battling multiple myeloma. Fortunately they are both getting excellent care and doing OK but my understanding is there's no true cure.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Mar 24 2023, 06:35 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 24 2023, 02:31 AM) *

We moved across the big lake to Superior. Next time you are up this way come see our new house. Your fund raiser is a great cause with a very special meaning. Just keep bumping this thread. There are a lot of caring and generous souls on this forum. Not everyone sees the thread. I just read through a great build that was started in 2020 that I had never seen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

I remember seeing your thread on your new build. The house looks great and the view looks to be equally great.

QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 24 2023, 04:19 AM) *

Thanks for letting us know, more than happy to donate.

You bet. I really appreciate the support

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Mar 24 2023, 11:16 AM) *

It was great to hear that your dad lived life to the fullest after battling cancer.

Good luck with the fund raising.

Thank you! He definitely taught me to enjoy life, because you don't know when it could end. He also got be hooked on cars, which is a bit of a blessing and a curse (on the wallet) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 24 2023, 02:13 PM) *

Best of luck with your fund raising. My sister in law has been battling Lymphoma. Currently in remission.
Donation given.

This campaign has opened my eyes to how many people have or have been impacted by blood cancer. Thank you for the donation. Treatment has improved dramatically since my dad was diagnosed and it's fulfilling knowing that we can all help support further developments in treatment.

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 24 2023, 03:04 PM) *

Thanks for sharing this story and tackling the ambitious fundraising effort - two people I've known for many years are battling multiple myeloma. Fortunately they are both getting excellent care and doing OK but my understanding is there's no true cure.

It feels good to help make a difference, that's for sure.

I just learned today that March is Myeloma awareness month. Before this campaign, I really didn't know anything about Myeloma.

Thank you for your support. It's been amazing to see the outpouring of support.
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Mar 28 2023, 04:37 PM
Post #10

Thank you so much to everyone who has supported my campaign thus far. The outpouring of support has been amazing.
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Apr 14 2023, 06:44 AM
Post #11

We've had an enormous outpouring of support in this campaign and just past the halfway mark, I've made really good progress toward my goal fo raising $150k. Thanks to everyone who's supported thus far.

Beginning today, LLS has given my team a challenge of getting a donation from every US state. If my team is the first to check every state of our list we'll get a $2k donation bonus.

Any donation amount will satisfy the LLS state requirement, be it $1, $5, $20, etc. We're particularly looking for donations in the states below. If you live outside MN (where I live) would you consider making a donation at www.TeamTaccio.com?

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Deleware
Hawaii
Idaho
Louisiana
Montana
Nevada
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wyoming

Thanks for your consideration, to everyone who's supported thus far!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:49 AM